So...is Mikko Koivu considered a bust yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
Bust? A little early for that tag IMO.

He may never live up to the billing coming out of the draft, but that's not to say he won't be a solid contributer. If we can get gritty, gutty play from him and if he uses his size to his advantage, he won't have a problem keeping a spot in the lineup.

Hoping for a Keith Primeau "type"...

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
Didn't he have to serve in Finland's compulsive military this year or the last? That might have hampered or slowed down his progression a bit.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
He sounds a lot like Patrik Stefan - a big, playmaking center who's also responsible defensively that'll probably become a good second liner somewhere down the line. Fortunately for Mikko, he's been able to develop in Europe where he's been 'out of sight, out of mind' rather than in the intense glare of the NHL. Stefan has had to put up with the 'bust' tag from pretty much halfway through his rookie season. He's become a solid player, though. Not the star you hope for but better than most people that don't get to see him regularly realize.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
ceber said:
Can anyone who's watched him play comment on his skating? Has it gotten worse in the past three years?

No, his skating is slowly getting better. It was no longer a major issue in the SM-liiga playoffs; using his hockey sense he was able keep up with the rest quite nicely and nowadays he can actually make a fast turn and not fall flat on his butt. The NHL will be a different story of course, but then again the rinks will also be smaller.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Finn said:
From that statement I gather that you have not watched the SM-Liiga too much, the AHL is way lower caliber of play than SM-Liiga and the reason he only put up mediocre numbers is partly because his dad had him playing most of the season on the checking line. I do admit his development could be better but he is far from a bust.

The SM- Liiga is not as good caliber as the NHL... thye are close I'll admit but I think the AHL is still a better league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad