So is Canada as good as their record shows??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Behind Enemy Lines said:
I am a passionate Canadian who loves this hockey team. But until the final buzzer goes off on the last game played with Canada leading on the scoreboard I will sweat through every game. The preliminaries mean nothing. The fact Canada played in a weak pool is a bit worrysome and has resulted in too much boasting imo.

Can Canada win gold - absolutely. Is Canada deserving to win gold - absolutely. But the games are played on the ice and the medal round is wrought with uncertainty. No team from here on in should be dismissed.

Forego the bravado until the final game is over. And Canadian fans, please win or lose with grace as our players do on the ice.

You scored big time, my friend. We need more people like this on the boards.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Here's how I see it.

There is nothing to indicate Canada isn't as good as the record shows.

BUT, that really doesn't matter. This is a single elimination tournament. The best teams lose games, that's a fact of life.

I don't care if we had won every game 60-0 and were playing Mexico. You can still lose. Hockey fans need to realize and respect the danger that EVERY one of these teams, Belarus/Germany/Switzerland ANYONE, poses to the gold medal. I do believe this is an incredibly strong WJC team, and I don't think there is a single team here who would beat the team more than once in a best of fve, but it doesn't matter. One game and its lights out.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Matt MacInnis said:
Here's how I see it.

There is nothing to indicate Canada isn't as good as the record shows.

BUT, that really doesn't matter. This is a single elimination tournament. The best teams lose games, that's a fact of life.

I don't care if we had won every game 60-0 and were playing Mexico. You can still lose. Hockey fans need to realize and respect the danger that EVERY one of these teams, Belarus/Germany/Switzerland ANYONE, poses to the gold medal. I do believe this is an incredibly strong WJC team, and I don't think there is a single team here who would beat the team more than once in a best of fve, but it doesn't matter. One game and its lights out.

Excellent points!!!!

espo*

Berkut said:
That's a Canadians fan you just described...
Yeah..hey why don't Russia and Canada just play each other and sort it out?,i'm confident.

espo*

Behind Enemy Lines said:
I am a passionate Canadian who loves this hockey team. But until the final buzzer goes off on the last game played with Canada leading on the scoreboard I will sweat through every game. The preliminaries mean nothing. The fact Canada played in a weak pool is a bit worrysome and has resulted in too much boasting imo.

Can Canada win gold - absolutely. Is Canada deserving to win gold - absolutely. But the games are played on the ice and the medal round is wrought with uncertainty. No team from here on in should be dismissed.

Forego the bravado until the final game is over. And Canadian fans, please win or lose with grace as our players do on the ice.
Good sober post.You're right

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
naihlflames said:
Then why even play the games? Let's give the gold medal to Canada right now. No one else has a chance.

btw: Most said Canada had the best team last year and the year before and the year before that .......

They did have the best team last year as well but only lost the GOLD on a fluke goal remember that, like I said before I hope the US makes it past Russia

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I have just one thing to say: remember 1980, those college boys beated the best team in the World and went to win a gold medal at the Olympics... Nobody actually thought that Russia could lose that game and guess what? They did lose...

Our team is very very strong, but with Glass in goal I'm not that confident. The only thing I see stoping Canada is a great performance by Schwarz and I swear to god, I trully believe I can give the Czechs that performance. I'm still confident, but we'll have a tough one!

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
There are a lot of good replies so I won't repeat them other than to strongly agree that in the format of this tournament, the only thing that matters is the next game - and we will see whether this team lives up to its apparent potential or not.

The point I wanted to raise is that the quality of a team is really demonstrated when they are tested. Will Glass make the key save(s) he will need to if put under pressure? With the defense look as strong against better forechecking and offensive creativity than the teams they have played so far? Can the offense adjust to a better defensive system? If any of those pressures are put on and the team raises its game, it will prove it really is that good. If they don't rise to the challenge, we will know they weren't as good as we thought. And if the next games don't put them under pressure, all that will be proven is that this was a weak tournament.

Can't wait for this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad