So is Canada as good as their record shows??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
You better believe that they are.... The gold is theirs, no doubt about it. I figured goaltending would be the weak link on this team but Jeff Glass has stood tall and made the saves when called upon. I hope that the States make it to the final but I can't see them beating the Russkies because Canada will hammer the States, put that in the bank

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
lol

i really dont think the Canadian fans are being arrogant...they are actually rather realistic. U.S.A is a much weaker team than they were last year and Montoya is not as good as he SEEMS.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Put the 8-1 and 8-2 scores that Canada and the US beat the Swedes away for a sec.

Canada outshot the Swedes 46-17. The game was close until the 2nd period started.

US outshot the Swedes 41-31. The game was close until about 5 minutes into the 3rd.

Another thing is look how bad the Swedish goaltending was today.

US's defence is still bad at best and Canada's defence is it strength.

So ya i think Canada is as good as their recored. They've got 50 shots twice already.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Wally112pac said:
Put the 8-1 and 8-2 scores that Canada and the US beat the Swedes away for a sec.

Canada outshot the Swedes 46-17. The game was close until the 2nd period started.

US outshot the Swedes 41-31. The game was close until about 5 minutes into the 3rd.

Another thing is look how bad the Swedish goaltending was today.

US's defence is still bad at best and Canada's defence is it strength.

So ya i think Canada is as good as their recored. They've got 50 shots twice already.

WHO CARES about SWEDEN??? you guys are barking up the WRONG tree! The bottom line is that as you said, Canada has the best TEAM, and the best DEFENSE...its not going to be even close from here on

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
2forsbergaura1 said:
WHO CARES about SWEDEN??? you guys are barking up the WRONG tree! The bottom line is that as you said, Canada has the best TEAM, and the best DEFENSE...its not going to be even close from here on

Then why even play the games? Let's give the gold medal to Canada right now. No one else has a chance.

btw: Most said Canada had the best team last year and the year before and the year before that .......

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
naihlflames said:
Then why even play the games? Let's give the gold medal to Canada right now. No one else has a chance.

btw: Most said Canada had the best team last year and the year before and the year before that .......

oh, and i do agree we SHOULD play the games and maybe the USA has some chance of winning gold again. however, Russia does not even have a chance i think...unless KHABIBULIN helps out :lol

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I am a passionate Canadian who loves this hockey team. But until the final buzzer goes off on the last game played with Canada leading on the scoreboard I will sweat through every game. The preliminaries mean nothing. The fact Canada played in a weak pool is a bit worrysome and has resulted in too much boasting imo.

Can Canada win gold - absolutely. Is Canada deserving to win gold - absolutely. But the games are played on the ice and the medal round is wrought with uncertainty. No team from here on in should be dismissed.

Forego the bravado until the final game is over. And Canadian fans, please win or lose with grace as our players do on the ice.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Behind Enemy Lines said:
I am a passionate Canadian who loves this hockey team. But until the final buzzer goes off on the last game played with Canada leading on the scoreboard I will sweat through every game. The preliminaries mean nothing. The fact Canada played in a weak pool is a bit worrysome and has resulted in too much boasting imo.

Can Canada win gold - absolutely. Is Canada deserving to win gold - absolutely. But the games are played on the ice and the medal round is wrought with uncertainty. No team from here on in should be dismissed.

Forego the bravado until the final game is over. And Canadian fans, please win or lose with grace as our players do on the ice.

Well stated and good to see some intelligence on the board. Cheers to my neighbor from the North.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Berkut said:
Did I ever say that?!
I just don't believe Canada is much superior to the Russian team, they're pretty even. Period.
You're Russian and don't give them the credit they deserve. you suck

Well said!

Pizdun ty 2forsbergaura1 :p:

Pobeda nasha!

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
naihlflames said:
Berkut, I'm with you and tired of it. Go Czech's and then go whoever wins between the US and Russia. Otherwise, we will never hear the end of it.

Swiss 5-0 over Germany
Czech 3-0 over Finland
USA 8-2 over Sweden

Canada dominated Group B, but is the gap between Canada and the rest of the teams as large as we thought 24 hours ago??? I guess we will find out over the next couple of days.

I agree Canada has the best team on paper and how they have performed so far. However, anything is possible in a single game. As arrogant as many (not all) of the Canadian posters have been in ignoring that the USA are the defending champs and no team has a chance against Canada, I am cheering for anyone from Group A to upset the favorites from Canada.
Good for you, really happy for you,since you have this post everywhere else on this board perhaps you can post this in the history of hockey area too as it is heading for the hall of fame. . I think i'll make it my wallpaper.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
naihlflames said:

Exactly...
Canada always gets the most media coverage, but they never get to the end of the tournament...You Canadians should have learned by now that statistics mean nothing in a gold medal game. It's not the NHL playoff, it's only one game! Anything can happen, just look at the US-Belarus game...And the "Canada will win the gold, no team has any chance" talk just pisses me off, cause it's light year from reality!

And you, 2forsbergaura1, please, don't cheer for Russia, I beg you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Behind Enemy Lines said:

:handclap:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Yeah, I think Canada is an awesome team, but I hate it when the fans and the media celebrate the gold before the tournament even starts.. and the same crap happens every year..

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Good for you, really happy for you,since you have this post everywhere else on this board perhaps you can post this in the history of hockey area too as it is heading for the hall of fame. . I think i'll make it my wallpaper.

Yes, I apologize and have deleted the repost. It was a poor reponse on my part to the many posts from "2forsbergaura 1". I should have taken the high road like "behind enemy lines". Sorry, to have had you (or anyone else) read the same thing twice.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Berkut said:
Exactly...
Canada always gets the most media coverage, but they never get to the end of the tournament...You Canadians should have learned by now that statistics mean nothing in a gold medal game. It's not the NHL playoff, it's only one game! Anything can happen, just look at the US-Belarus game...And the "Canada will win the gold, no team has any chance" talk just pisses me off, cause it's light year from reality!

And you, 2forsbergaura1, please, don't cheer for Russia, I beg you.
Durak ti blin, nafiga ti voobche za rossiu baleech...urod blya
Canada gets the most media coverage. Well the coverage you are getting is Canadian so perhaps following the Russians as they shower, eat , sleep and tour North Dakota is not high on TSN's list. A one game showdown with the Czechs worries me to a small degree. The Czechs will look to get the early lead and then play a shallow 1-4 steer/contain. Canada has practised a breakout against this and i am confident our forecheck will wear the Czechs down. I would say the Czechs have the best chance to defeat Canada out of the remaining four teams. Russia and USA have too many deficiencies in regards to team defense. Entertaining teams but will be hard pressed to defeat Canada. But what the hell do i know? I know that you cannot take much for granted and all the analysis in the world means nothing. The four remaining teams will play and i will watch.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One thing to say about the elimination games coming up: NHL players, when talking about the playoffs, say forget what's happened in the regular season--this is a whole new game, and teams can take it to levels you never even dreamed they could have in the regular season.

These elimination games will be like that for these teams. Forget the round robin play, it doesn't matter right now--what matters is that there's two games standing between Canada and a gold medal. And nobody's going to make it easy for them. It's anyone's championship, right now.

~Canucklehead~

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
naihlflames said:
Yes, I apologize and have deleted the repost. It was a poor reponse on my part to the many posts from "2forsbergaura 1". I should have taken the high road like "behind enemy lines". Sorry, to have had you (or anyone else) read the same thing twice.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic but i am a bit cranky and tired and looking to go to bed. Sorry for barking at you.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Behind Enemy Lines said:

Wow...intelligent posts like that are so rare on these boards that I had to read it twice because I couldn't believe my eyes. Nice post! :clap:

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Agreed with Canucklehead.

But to be fair, this is by far the best team we've iced in years. I can understand those who say we have the best chance. But that really means nothing.

All that needs to happen is a quick powerplay where the Czechs capitalize on a deflection and we're down 1-0 up against arguably the best goalie in the tournament. Canadian fans are so confident but things could so easily go the other way in 1 game elimination time.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Totally agree with Behind Enemy Lines...

I'm an extremely passionate Canadian hockey fan. I don't care if the team is winning or losing, I'll still support. But at the same time, there were lots of faults that I saw with Canada through the round robin that had me worried. However, Sutter has this team running like a well-oiled machine. I hope they win the gold, and I'll be extremely dissapointed if they don't.

But like BEL said, until that last buzzer sounds, and the score board shows Canada ahead, I'll be sweating bullets through the rest of the games!

Even during the Finland game on Thursday I was a little worried...those fears were quickly displaced however.

somewhat OT:Been an entertaining tourny so far though...wish I could've gone...lol

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Berkut said:
Well it cancels out then...
Russia played "soft" and beat the Sweeds 6-1
Canada played hard and beat them 8-1
Not much of a difference...
Oh man, the above quote is so stupid. What about Sweden? Did they played soft or hard?

Macman

May 15, 2004
Canada IS as good as its record would indicate, but it means nothing. Anything can happen and occasionally does. I don't see the Czechs as much of a threat but the Russians and Americans scare me. And so do the refs. They've been absolutely brutal in this tournament. There are at least half a dozen calls every game that make absolutely no sense. They have no qualms about putting a team two men down for the slightest infraction, or no infraction at all, and it's going to decide a game before this thing is done. The IIHF needs to look at this because the quality of officiating is nowhere near the quality of play.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Berkut said:
Canada always gets the most media coverage, but they never get to the end of the tournament

Really? I could have swore Canada has won 10 of these things. Musta been the clam dip.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
The guy raving here might have a point somewhere there, but all the typos annoy me too much to actually read the posts.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:

That was sort of my point. I used the Sweden games to show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad