So is Canada as good as their record shows??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
They are the only team left from their pool now as the USA hammered Sweden and the Czech's easily beat Finland. So were Canada's blowouts as great as they seemed at the time?....or were the Finns, Slovaks and Swedes just very weak? Oh yeah, and the Swiss hammered Germany 5 - 0.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
k

i saw the SWEDEN VS. USA game. yes, USA won by a large margin...but i still wasnt that impressed. USA played better than before...but i dont think they are on Canada's level yet. USA can give Canada a close game...but thats about it

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Honestly, the thing that truly separates Canada from the rest is their defense. No other team defense comes close to Canada's D corps. If Canada does end up playing the US, I don't think the US defense will be able to handle the large Canadian forwards.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
They are as good as their record, you can only beat the teams put in front of you.

The margin of their wins isn't as impressive, but few thought Canada would run into any problems during round robin play anyway. The weakness of their competeition was well known ahead of time.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
I hope so and I think so.

My main reason: Brent Sutter.

The whole preliminary stage was a cake walk for Canada. The players could have cruised and still have finished with a perfect record. But Sutter kept them on their toes. Not giving bonus icetime to guys who didn't earn it and rewarding guys who did.

Even in these one-sided routs Sutter found little things to the team to work on, such as stick infractions and attention to detail.

Sutter has really impressed me and has me feeling confident about team Canada.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Honestly, the thing that truly separates Canada from the rest is their defense. No other team defense comes close to Canada's D corps. If Canada does end up playing the US, I don't think the US defense will be able to handle the large Canadian forwards.

I totally agree. it is one thing for the USA to be able to deal with the forwards from Sweden...its another to go against the much bigger and more physical forwards of Canada. I think the USA defense was at its best against Sweden...yet it still showed that it has a hard time dealing with larger forwards (guys like Soderberg had a good game down low). Also, they are horrible at protecting against wrap arounds and near the net plays...which Crosby will eat them up in!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Jacques Plante said:

The whole preliminary stage was a cake walk for Canada. The players could have cruised and still have finished with a perfect record. But Sutter kept them on their toes. Not giving bonus icetime to guys who didn't earn it and rewarding guys who did.

Even in these one-sided routs Sutter found little things to the team to work on, such as stick infractions and attention to detail.

Teams that cruise hardly ever win, let alone finish with a perfect record, nevermind their talent levels. Lets have just a tiny bit of respect for the other teams too, ok? I mean Finland and Sweden for example were weak this year, but come on...

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Teams that cruise hardly ever win, let alone finish with a perfect record, nevermind their talent levels. Lets have just a tiny bit of respect for the other teams too, ok? I mean Finland and Sweden for example were weak this year, but come on...

actually, i dont even know what u guys are talking about. SWEDEN is weak? RAUTIO played pretty consistent for the most part while their FORWARDS are VERY good. i mean, SODERBERG, ERIKSSON, NILSSON, SALMONSSON, VYDELL, BERGFORS, etc...u want to tell me thats not a deep solid group? their defense wasnt great but they were not horrible either. Finland was a bigger disappointed maybe

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Jacques Plante said:

I agree with this post completely. Sutter has done a tremendous job and I am not concerned about weather or not Canada is prepared. In the past years, I did not have this secureness, especially with Mario Durocher at the helm :shakehead . The Czech game will not be a pushover by any stretch and will far and away be the best competition that Canada has yet to face. The biggest challenger for Canada will be themselves. If they bring there A game for the next 2 games, not to be cocky or anything, they will win this tournament. I would say Russia is there biggest challenger though.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
2forsbergaura1 said:
actually, i dont even know what u guys are talking about. SWEDEN is weak? RAUTIO played pretty consistent for the most part while their FORWARDS are VERY good. i mean, SODERBERG, ERIKSSON, NILSSON, SALMONSSON, VYDELL, BERGFORS, etc...u want to tell me thats not a deep solid group? their defense wasnt great but they were not horrible either. Finland was a bigger disappointed maybe

I am not saying that Sweden was horrible. I think their top line was actually pretty impressive. Yet, as a team, they were weak compared to Canada (and this thread is about Canada vs. other teams). And yes, Finland was even weaker than Sweden, despite beating them. But no, Finland was not really a disappointment, because their lack of performance was not surprising at all.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
I am not saying that Sweden was horrible. I think their top line was actually pretty impressive. Yet, as a team, they were weak compared to Canada (and this thread is about Canada vs. other teams). And yes, Finland was even weaker than Sweden, despite beating them. But no, Finland was not really a disappointment, because their lack of performance was not surprising at all.

well, what i'm trying to say is...there are no teams in this competition who have the depth of CANADA. so its not like the USA is much better than SWEDEN or something. i mean, u guys were saying that Canada didnt see good competition yet...but i'm saying that USA or Russia are not much better than Sweden...so Canada will not be surprised

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
When you watch the US play and then canada play i noticed a huge difference.

1.Canadian defence can contain pretty much anyone
2. Canadians cycle the puck so much better
3. Canadians have more offense
4. Canadians have better defensive fowards..

Only advantage i see the US having is goaltending...

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Berkut said:
Russia not much better than Sweden?
Russia beat Sweden 6-1...

which WJC are u watching? RUSSIA never PLAYED Sweden because Sweden is not in their GROUP... :teach:

you probably meant the SWISS...which is a different countries and that just proves how little u know about the abilities of other teams in this tournament.. :dunno:Just cause you like Russia doesnt mean that other teams are not capable or should be overlooked

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
You think I'm a complete idiot or what?
Russia played Sweden in a pre tournament game, just like Canada played the Swiss.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Berkut said:
You think I'm a complete idiot or what?
Russia played Sweden in a pre tournament game, just like Canada played the Swiss.

LOL, a PRE-TOURNAMENT game is whats also really called an EXHIBITION game. you know what happens in EXHIBITION games?

1. the teams dont put out their best players or give their best players less icetime sometimes

2. more importantly, teams dont play their hardest and try not to get INJURED.

so if u want to go by some EXHIBITION game, u do that...i'll rely on more meaningful games

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
naihlflames said:
mmmmm..... What was the score tonight?

i really dont think that the score is everything in a game. i've seen some games where teh score is 3-2 yet one team was MUCH better than the other. then there are games like this where the final score was 8-2 yet the game was VERY close for the first 2 periods. in the third the SWEDES did not play up to their potential and were not nearly as sharp as in the first 2 periods. so again, i dont go by one game or one score. in terms of talent the SWEDEN and USA teams were rather similar

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
2forsbergaura1 said:
LOL, a PRE-TOURNAMENT game is whats also really called an EXHIBITION game. you know what happens in EXHIBITION games?

1. the teams dont put out their best players or give their best players less icetime sometimes

2. more importantly, teams dont play their hardest and try not to get INJURED.

so if u want to go by some EXHIBITION game, u do that...i'll rely on more meaningful games
Well it cancels out then...
Russia played "soft" and beat the Sweeds 6-1
Canada played hard and beat them 8-1
Not much of a difference...

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Berkut said:
Well it cancels out then...
Russia played "soft" and beat the Sweeds 6-1
Canada played hard and beat them 8-1
Not much of a difference...

thats not very LOGICAL...why would only Russia play soft in the exhibition game? u are somehow assuming that Sweden had somethign to prove in it and Russia didnt? its an EXHIBITION game...neither team would play 100% hard...and neither team's coach would put out his best roster either. EXHIBITION games are meant for teams to try different lines, different players, different strategies,etc. dont be so smug about your Russian team...i'm from Russia but i dont go around saying that Russia is the best and everyone is sub-par or something

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Patrick - Flames Fan said:

I agree. Team USA's defense was the difference maker last year and I think it will be or has been the same for team Canada.

Last edited:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
2forsbergaura1 said:
i'm from Russia but i dont go around saying that Russia is the best and everyone is sub-par or something
Did I ever say that?!
I just don't believe Canada is much superior to the Russian team, they're pretty even. Period.
You're Russian and don't give them the credit they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Berkut said:
Did I ever say that?!
I just don't believe Canada is much superior to the Russian team, they're pretty even. Period.
You're Russian and don't give them the credit they deserve.

i dont think its like that at all. i am a big Ovechkin and Malkin fan and i cheer for their team every time they play...even though i live in the U.S. now. i still prefer cheering for Russia, even when they play against U.S.A. the thing i see here though is that a lot of the Russian fans here are very ARROGANT about their OVECHKIN AND MALKIN and TEAM RUSSIA. its great to be a fan and to be LOYAL to your team and country...its another thing to tell everyone OVECHKIN is #1 and CROSBY is not even close and Russia is the best team,etc,etc. I mean, if Russia was so great and was the best...dont u think they would have received a bit more credibility from the press and hockey analysts???? Winning a WJC is about having a good TEAM...not 2 STARS with not much else...and thats why Russia has NO chance of winning this tournament.
So i will give them the credit they deserve and i will still root for them...but i will not be ARROGANT and tell everyone Russia is the best when they are not

Last edited by a moderator:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
2forsbergaura1 said:
the thing i see here though is that a lot of the Russian fans here are very ARROGANT about their OVECHKIN AND MALKIN and TEAM RUSSIA. its great to be a fan and to be LOYAL to your team and country...its another thing to tell everyone OVECHKIN is #1 and CROSBY is not even close and Russia is the best team,etc,etc.
That's a Canadians fan you just described...

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Berkut said:
That's a Canadians fan you just described...

you saying that just shows how ONE-SIDED you are and proves my point!

I have never once been a CANADIAN fan or a U.S. fan. many people have asked me why i still cheer for Russia when i'm in the U.S. now. i tell them cause thats where i was born and i still prefer the Russian style of hockey...its very ENTERTAINING. i hate when Russia loses and i LOVE when they win. yet i've learned over the years to give other NATIONS the respect they DESERVE and to be REALISTIC about what kidn of team RUSSIA has. if they had the best team, i would tell everyone that. right now, they DONT have the best team.

see, i dont want to be ARROGANT like the Americans and their ESPN who keep only talking about the U.S. team and how great it is. I want to cheer for Russia and yet be realistic about how good they are compared to other teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad