So I'm in Tampa. It's made me realize what a mess our marketing is.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Don't they just take all extra profit and put it into salaries account to save on taxes?

I understand moving money around to make it so you pay the least amount of taxes. But I don't understand losing money on purpose. I don't know of any law that makes you pay less taxes if one of the businesses you own doesn't make money while all the others do.

Well, exactly that. No one likes or wants to lose money, but some losses can lower your taxes, is overly simplified. But of course it is more complicated than that. For instance, making a profit on the building allows more expenses to be written off. You can't "move" money around, without having it count as being drawn. Very hard to do. Now if you have capital losses to declare you will need to make a profit to use it.

Profit, in the end, is always good!:thumbu:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I get the talk on marketing, but it's not relevant to why folks around here pass on games. You don't need as much marketing in Canada to know and attend NHL games, Tampa is a bad example as they have to fight for recognition, which is not an issue in Ottawa. Fans are already reading and listening daily en masse.

There should be a department funded with the goal to drum up new fans and entice businesses, no question, but none of that has to do with a single person in here. Personally, if there is a limited budget I'd rather see the money go to scouting.

It does provide folks with another reason (though incredibly weak) to blame the team for attendance, instead of taking responsibility. I mean theres another thread right now with some dude calling for fans to boycott a game, but yes, marketing is the problem.

Personally I wish all of the smart fans would finally head off to cheer for a better team, like they always threaten to do, so the rest up us few dumb fans can get back to being entertained by our NHL hockey team.

Reactions: aragorn

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I get the talk on marketing, but it's not relevant to why folks around here pass on games. You don't need as much marketing in Canada to know and attend NHL games, Tampa is a bad example as they have to fight for recognition, which is not an issue in Ottawa. Fans are already reading and listening daily en masse.

There should be a department funded with the goal to drum up new fans and entice businesses, no question, but none of that has to do with a single person in here. Personally, if there is a limited budget I'd rather see the money go to scouting.

It does provide folks with another reason (though incredibly weak) to blame the team for attendance, instead of taking responsibility. I mean theres another thread right now with some dude calling for fans to boycott a game, but yes, marketing is the problem.

Personally I wish all of the smart fans would finally head off to cheer for a better team, like they always threaten to do, so the rest up us few dumb fans can get back to being entertained by our NHL hockey team.

You could not have said it any more clearer and more precise. Good one.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

well that's definitely a good point... I mean how much do I personally care about marketing? zero. it has no effect on me im going to buy merchandise and im going to buy tickets regardless. but im fairly close to die hard as im sure a lot are here. its not so much the volume of marketing that we see its the type and tone. for example, and its very small example. the fan deck. that should be in commercials steady. I only knew about the faan de2ck because I saw it on the jumbo tron at the game. when I bring new people to the games they don't even know about it. its a legit bar in the arena, and you need to GO to the arena to hear about it

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So was it true that the only notification of Chris Neil being honored at the game was during or right before game day?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A very good friend of mine attended a SCF game in Anaheim, in 2007, and stayed at a Hotel within walking distance of Ducks Arena.
When they came down to the lobby, to go to the game, all dressed in their Senator's Jersey's, the staff at the Hotel asked them "What it was all about?"

The staff, at a hotel within walking distance of the Arena, hosting a SCF game, did not know who the Senators were, or what the SCFs were.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
A very good friend of mine attended a SCF game in Anaheim, in 2007, and stayed at a Hotel within walking distance of Ducks Arena.
When they came down to the lobby, to go to the game, all dressed in their Senator's Jersey's, the staff at the Hotel asked them "What it was all about?"

The staff, at a hotel within walking distance of the Arena, hosting a SCF game, did not know who the Senators were, or what the SCFs were.

What are you driving at, exactly?

In your opinion, do you think the Senators are good at marketing, or bad at marketing their team?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What are you driving at, exactly?

In your opinion, do you think the Senators are good at marketing, or bad at marketing their team?

I'm agreeing with the posters who are saying that Marketing the Sens, in Ottawa, is not the same as Marketing the Lightning in Tampa, or the Ducks in Anaheim or McDonalds, as some here have suggested.

I disagree with those who are suggesting that throwing up some ads on buildings or billboards in the downtown core is going to result in more ticket sales.

The only thing that will drive the casual fan(s) into buying tickets, is a winning product on the ice, a playoff spot race and of course the playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Marketing is done to get a return on your investment. The team has little to no positive buzz around it, and hasn't really had much since the closing of the playoffs last year. We had some momentum, but pretty much everything that happened afterwards was a downer; Karlsson surgery, expected to miss the start of the season, Brassard surgery, expected to miss training camp, Methot picked up in the expansion draft, only to get traded to Dallas for a really reasonable price, nobody of significance signed to replace Methot at UFA, MacArthur fails his medical, no attempt to replace him, tarping off seats, Melnyk opens his pie hole at the out door game, the feud with Turris, and the list goes on.

There was absolutely a need to market this team better in a time when almost all the news was negative, but it really doesn't appear there was any attempt whatsoever.

Honestly, what the hell did the team expect to happen? Hope and excitement about the product sells tickets, can you name one thing the Sens did after 25 May 2017 to create more hope for the upcoming season, or capitalize on the buzz created by the deep playoff run?

Tampa is a great example of a team being pro-active to create buzz around their team. Now, I don't disagree that Canadian teams typically don't have to go to the same extremes to create that buzz, but at the end of the day, they have to have a feel for the pulse of the city, and at the very least, react when that buzz fades. We've been flat-lining since sometime this offseason, and the team hasn't reacted at all, little lone been proactive. Go back to 2006-07 and you saw at least some attempt to build on what the team accomplished. Nobody is asking for the same degree of investment into marketing as Tampa has, but you'd have to be blind not to see how putrid this teams marketing attempts have been of late.

The confusing part is marketing is something that gives a near immediate return on your investment as well as creates long term benefits, and compared to player salaries, costs a pittance. The mantra that this product sells itself is recipe for failure.

Reactions: Deku and Ice-Tray

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm agreeing with the posters who are saying that Marketing the Sens, in Ottawa, is not the same as Marketing the Lightning in Tampa, or the Ducks in Anaheim or McDonalds, as some here have suggested.

I disagree with those who are suggesting that throwing up some ads on buildings or billboards in the downtown core is going to result in more ticket sales.

The only thing that will drive the casual fan(s) into buying tickets, is a winning product on the ice, a playoff spot race and of course the playoffs.

The Sens might be the same as Columbus though, and I assure you, Columbus does a far better job marketing having been to the city a ton of times.

The thought process that the Sens don't need any type of advertising boggles my mind.

This organization is not infallible, there are some serious criticisms you can put against it. But, I've said my opinion about the Sens marketing for years, it's abysmal, and I never see it getting any better so it is what it is. No use in beating a dead horse.

You never did answer my simple straight forward question, though. ;)

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think the tarping off of entire sections of seats was possibly the worst idea anyone has ever had in marketing a sports team. It's so bad that it's baffling. There was absolutely no possible way that tarping off seats would drive demand. None. And it sent negative signals about the state of the club and created uncertainty and anxiety. Just a terrible, terrible idea.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The contortions performed in the mental gymnastics some posters go through to "defend" all things Senator related is truly impressive. Gumby would be proud.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

don't agree completely... this organization has rarely targeted the spenders in the city... the late teens early 20s... then again maybe they simply don't want that crowd at the game... its not just about selling a winning product.. itd about selling a good time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the tarping off of entire sections of seats was possibly the worst idea anyone has ever had in marketing a sports team. It's so bad that it's baffling. There was absolutely no possible way that tarping off seats would drive demand. None. And it sent negative signals about the state of the club and created uncertainty and anxiety. Just a terrible, terrible idea.

Conceptionally, there is some merit to the idea that creating scarcity might drive sales a bit, and without the sell outs, they really didn't create any scarcity. Further compounding issues is scarcity gives a sense of exclusivity and people typically add value to scarce products because they believe they are scarce because other people are buying them up. Well, we made it clear they weren't naturally scarce which really devalues the product.

It's true that having too many seats for your market isn't good, so if you've determined that's the case, you can re-jig your seats, but you don't do that via tarp, you do it under the guise of creating a better product; so remove seats to be replaced with premium seats that are lower density, or some other added benefit. Just tarping off seats and calling it a day is just as you said, a negative signal, in a time where the team really needed to be creating a buzz.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
It's true that having too many seats for your market isn't good, so if you've determined that's the case, you can re-jig your seats, but you don't do that via tarp, you do it under the guise of creating a better product; so remove seats to be replaced with premium seats that are lower density, or some other added benefit. Just tarping off seats and calling it a day is just as you said, a negative signal, in a time where the team really needed to be creating a buzz.

Hmmm.. A Club Bell concept in the 300's... I wonder what that would look like, and if it could be popular.

Reactions: slamigo

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hmmm.. A Club Bell concept in the 300's... I wonder what that would look like, and if it could be popular.
tbh, I've actually liked the view I get of the game better in the 300's than the times I've been in the 100's, but it might be a hard sell to convince people there's a premium experience available in the "nosebleeds".

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
When I first heard about the tarps, I thought it was a joke. When I found out it was true, my first thought was “oh no. Is the team really in that bad of shape?”
That’s not the hallmark of a good marketing campaign. All the sports outlets carried the story coupled with dire warnings of Ottawa’s possible relocation. Way to go marketing team, way to go. Just the buzz the city needed.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
When I first heard about the tarps, I thought it was a joke. When I found out it was true, my first thought was “oh no. Is the team really in that bad of shape?”
That’s not the hallmark of a good marketing campaign. All the sports outlets carried the story coupled with dire warnings of Ottawa’s possible relocation. Way to go marketing team, way to go. Just the buzz the city needed.

I don't think you understand though, Sens have a monopoly on entertainment in Ottawa, it doesn't matter if they advertise or what they do with their brand, it just isn't important, it's the fans fault and their fault only, if the Sens were successful on the ice, they'd sell out each game without advertisements, just like last year in the playoffs, bad city, bad fairweather "fans", bad.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't think you understand though, Sens have a monopoly on entertainment in Ottawa, it doesn't matter if they advertise or what they do with their brand, it just isn't important, it's the fans fault and their fault only, if the Sens were successful on the ice, they'd sell out each game without advertisements, just like last year in the playoffs, bad city, bad fairweather "fans", bad.

This is a terrible take.

Senators have all sorts of competition. You know what people can do instead of going to Sens games? They could go to a nice dinner. They could go see a movie. They could go to a bar. They could go to a concert. They could drive up to Montreal for a night. They could binge on Netflix. They could do hundreds of other things, and the Senators compete with all of them.

The "bad fan" narrative is idiotic. The majority of people in Ottawa aren't die-hards who follow every move the team makes. They don't care what the "plan" is. They don't always know when the games are, who we're playing, and no, they definitely don't know who Ryan Dzingel is. Why? Because most people aren't that invested. And who can blame them? The NHL is meaningless. Wins and losses, they don't actually matter.

What do they care about? If I spend $300 to bring my family of four, will we have a good time? Will we be entertained? Will my kids have a nice memory?

Ottawa needs to cater to these people, because they're the majority (we're not), and right now, they do a shit job.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
This is a terrible take.

Senators have all sorts of competition. You know what people can do instead of going to Sens games? They could go to a nice dinner. They could go see a movie. They could go to a bar. They could go to a concert. They could drive up to Montreal for a night. They could binge on Netflix. They could do hundreds of other things, and the Senators compete with all of them.

The "bad fan" narrative is idiotic. The majority of people in Ottawa aren't die-hards who follow every move the team makes. They don't care what the "plan" is. They don't always know when the games are, who we're playing, and no, they definitely don't know who Ryan Dzingel is. Why? Because most people aren't that invested. And who can blame them? The NHL is meaningless. Wins and losses, they don't actually matter.

What do they care about? If I spend $300 to bring my family of four, will we have a good time? Will we be entertained? Will my kids have a nice memory?

Ottawa needs to cater to these people, because they're the majority (we're not), and right now, they do a **** job.

Pretty sure it was sarcasm. :( Your post is still nice though

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Didn't think my post would need a /s tag, especially when I stated "they'd sell out each game like last years playoffs".

:huh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->