So far this DOES appear to be Canada's best team ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Before the tournament I was skeptical of the thought of labelling Canada as the best team ever and I thought this might be detremental to their overall success especially with questions in net and not having a healthy Brent Seabrook, but now based on the pre tournament games and the first three games of the round-robin how can we not say this might be an accurate statement. You look at teams like the USA (who are losing to Belarus) or the Russians who are impressive but against a good offensive team such as the USA give up 6 goals... it appears that maybe we are right that this is Canada's best team based on the competition ever...

Im getting mad at Canada when they don't score 10 goals because that's how many they should have had in every game so far... Even fighting injuries the boys have showed up to play.. Ive been upset with their play at certain times during games.. especially the third period against Slovakia .. but how can you be mad at the end of the day when you see a 7-3 win... you can't .. anyways just my opinion.. I'd like to see what others think... look at old teams and the scores they won by maybe make soem comparisons and we'll have a little argument of sorts.. OR you can agree with me haha whatever you want.. thanks

Here's a comparison of their GF/GA's including pre-tournament:
Canada 6 Finland 0
Canada 5 Switzerland 0
Canada 7 Slovakia 3
Canada 8 Sweden 1
Canada 9 Germany 0
35 GF VS 4 GA very impressive
It looks like their in a league of their own... the other years when they'd pound other teams they weren't this dominate...

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
I think it is safe to say this Canadian team is better than the 98 team that lost to Kazakhstan. But until this team wins the gold medal, you can't really make any comparisons with all those past championship teams.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i think this is canada's best junior team ever, talent wise. granted there is no gretzky on this team, like '78 had, but i think this team matches up better depth wise.

i think in 7-8 years when these players reach their primes, that as many as 10 could be representing canada in world cups/olympics etc. as the best our country has to offer.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I think the difference is that big because Team Canada has a very 'old' team whereas the other top countries are rolling out quite young teams.

Next year Canada will have trouble medalling.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I agree. Canada's average age is 19.5, even with Crosby in the lineup.
Experience and maturity are huge at these tourneys, so I really like Canada's chances this year.
But there will be very few returnees next year.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I'm still not totally sold on the goaltending. Not in the sense of it being inadequate for this tournament (no one seems to have really spectacular goaltending this year, save maybe the Czechs), but I have a tough time picking a team with Jeff Glass over some of those gold medal winners with guys like Roberto Luongo and Manny Legace. But at the end of the tournament the results make speak for themselves, we will see.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Pepper said:
I think the difference is that big because Team Canada has a very 'old' team whereas the other top countries are rolling out quite young teams.

Next year Canada will have trouble medalling.

No way... Canada will never have trouble medaling.. 98 was an embarassment...

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
ktownhockey said:
No way... Canada will never have trouble medaling.. 98 was an embarassment...

Oh, please...patriotism is ok....up to a certain degree after which it becomes just pathetic.

Edit: Just change the word 'never' to, lets say, 'rarely'. Please.

mooseOAK*

Once they win the last game of the tournament we can have this discussion. Before then, they are just another team.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I still think 93' and 95' teams were pretty damn good. This team does have the potential to put up the most lopsided plus minus, but I'm not even sure they'll run the table yet. We'll see. I think the D might be the best we've ever seen.

The 93' team's depth players were the first five picks in the draft, specifically Daigle, Pronger, Gratton, Kariya and Niedermeyer. It was a fun tourney to watch for draft hawks. They upset the Swedes, who were pretty dominant with Forsberg, Naslund and Ohlund to name a few.

The 95' team was the lockout team, with many of those same above stated players, but others like Jovo, Jason Allison and Friesen. They also went undefeated., although they did it on home soil.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
Boucicaut said:
Oh, please...patriotism is ok....up to a certain degree after which it becomes just pathetic.

Well last year when they finished silver they had a really young team. And they still had no trouble in medalling. So for me it is unlikely they will have trouble medalling next year, now taking gold is something we will have to wait and see.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Boucicaut said:

You don't understand, there was no 1998 in Canada. On New Years Eve 1997, the entire nation went right to 1999.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Bauer83 said:
Well last year when they finished silver they had a really young team. And they still had no trouble in medalling. So for me it is unlikely they will have trouble medalling next year, now taking gold is something we will have to wait and see.

I totally agree with this. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that Canada will have trouble medalling any given year. Next year could be difficult though, since lots of these guys won't be coming back.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
hawker14 said:
i think this is canada's best junior team ever, talent wise. granted there is no gretzky on this team, like '78 had, but i think this team matches up better depth wise.

i think in 7-8 years when these players reach their primes, that as many as 10 could be representing canada in world cups/olympics etc. as the best our country has to offer.

Yes, you could say they have better depth than that bronze medal team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->