so esposito is falling, but how far will he drop...

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
seems for the teams like montreal toronto or say boston or florida a former sure fire top 5 draft prospect might be available but and a big BUT what is going on with this kid, i read on USA today that woodlief sees nothing from espo to want him in his top5 and barely in his top 10

i have heard "daigle" comparison etc

could he be like the american in boston, falls a bit but then shows maturity and makes the club or is he jason bonsignore all over again

i don't know but as a hab fan, if he falls to montreal, you gotta call a time out and someone's job is on the line if you take him and he misses or if you leave him ala gagne versus choinard and he takes off

interesting for sure

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
seems for the teams like montreal toronto or say boston or florida a former sure fire top 5 draft prospect might be available but and a big BUT what is going on with this kid, i read on USA today that woodlief sees nothing from espo to want him in his top5 and barely in his top 10

could he be like the american in boston, falls a bit but then shows maturity and makes the club or is he jason bonsignore all over again

i don't know but as a hab fan, if he falls to montreal, you gotta call a time out and someone's job is on the line if you take him and he misses or if you leave him ala gagne versus choinard and he takes off

interesting for sure

Id say as of right now he is out of the top 5 for sure. But in this draft with so many questions he could go anywhere from 8-15. Once you get to about 10 if he's not already gone i think you will see alot of teams doing exactly what you are, scratching their head and not really knowing what to do with him. He is a guy who could make a scouts career if he breaks out or could cost someone a job for taking a guy with so many questions.

It will probably come down to what each individual team thinks of him i expect some team will have him in the 6-8 range and some will have him outside the top 15 possibly out of the top 20

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

interesting for sure

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

interesting for sure
The "American" (capital A, please)in Boston is Phil Kessel.
He dropped only to #5 and has not shown any negative character issues. He battled cancer and is doing quite well, thank you, playing on Boston's top two lines

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
If I had like the 10th pick or something like that I'd almost be hoping Esposito gets taken just so I don't have to make that kind of a decision

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Anyone who sees Esposito dropping below 15 is overrating the bottom end of the first round of the draft. All the small guys Tyrell, Moller, Backlund, Korostin Hickey etc have got bigger question marks hanging over them than Esposito. Player like MacLean would seem a no higher than a second in most years.

This draft year has slim pickings. Esposito has all the earmarks of a flop who will really struggle not be a turnover machine at the pro level. But there are a lot other iffy propositions beyond the top 10 in the draft. That's why teams traded 1st rounders so freely this year.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Anyone who sees Esposito dropping below 15 is overrating the bottom end of the first round of the draft. All the small guys Tyrell, Moller, Backlund, Korostin Hickey etc have got bigger question marks hanging over them than Esposito. Player like MacLean would seem a no higher than a second in most years.

This draft year has slim pickings. Esposito has all the earmarks of a flop who will really struggle not be a turnover machine at the pro level. But there are a lot other iffy propositions beyond the top 10 in the draft. That's why teams traded 1st rounders so freely this year.

This is interesting... the consensus on HF mostly seems to be that talent can be found deep into this draft, just nothing that can be labeled "top-end" talent. :dunno:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
This is interesting... the consensus on HF mostly seems to be that talent can be found deep into this draft, just nothing that can be labeled "top-end" talent. :dunno:

My opinion is, there is quite alot of talent but most of the prospects have one or a few major question marks. There are alot of guys who i would call interesting in that its not clear what your gonna get from them. They have potential to be impact players but they also have a big question mark hanging over them.

Randall Graves*

Is he the Frolik of this years draft? highly talented but just maybe having an off year at a bad time?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Watch the following occur :

- HFboards posters hyping Esposito to no end. Check (previous years).

- As the slightest struggle, HFboards posters will describe him as a future bust. Check (this year).

- If he's picked early (say top 5), HFboards fans will kill the selection. (we'll see in the draft)

- If he's picked later (say around 10th or more), HFboards fans will scream S-T-E-A-L! and say he's highly underrated, that the talent is huge, blah, blah, blah (see Schremp).

- If he makes the team out of juniors, HFBoards fans will scream (I TOLD YOU HE WAS A STEAL!), but if he doesn't put up 80 points in his first NHL season, the same bunches will scream : I TOLD YOU HE WAS A BUST!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

- As the slightest struggle, HFboards posters will describe him as a future bust. Check (this year).

- If he's picked early (say top 5), HFboards fans will kill the selection. (we'll see in the draft)

- If he's picked later (say around 10th or more), HFboards fans will scream S-T-E-A-L! and say he's highly underrated, that the talent is huge, blah, blah, blah (see Schremp).

- If he makes the team out of juniors, HFBoards fans will scream (I TOLD YOU HE WAS A STEAL!), but if he doesn't put up 80 points in his first NHL season, the same bunches will scream : I TOLD YOU HE WAS A BUST!

And...? Just because you got Malkin, Staal and that other kid ;)

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal

might as well close the board right now. everyone is so predictable, i will create my own replies. :P

I agree it is the way it is around here, but you could maybe add to your answer suggestions this one: let the kid play and we'll see what he becomes in 5 years.

lol as for the thread i think Esposito will be drafted very high.. in the top 5 as gm's have a tendency to be amazed on skills specially in a draft like this one where there isnt any clear cut choices.. imo.. who knows.. i recall Steve Bernier having a bad year following the draft year, it didnt make him a bust.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
i prefer my girls have boobies and no wiener so he was off my list of prospectives. was it lack of effort for him? or was he just overrated?

I think he lacked a "wiener" as well.... Anyway, great size, skating ability, and hands, but no heart or determination.

Bryzga lol*

there's a few teams this year with 2 first round picks... I don't think i'd go for Esposito in a draft unless I had another pick for insurence. It's a very deep draft, so a pick in the 20s could end up being as valuble as the 10th or 11th pick.

jb**

there's a few teams this year with 2 first round picks... I don't think i'd go for Esposito in a draft unless I had another pick for insurence. It's a very deep draft, so a pick in the 20s could end up being as valuble as the 10th or 11th pick.

Would love to see the Flyers trade the Nashville 1st and another pick/prospect and move up to get him if he falls to around 9-12. They would have already taken a great player at #1 or 2 overall so then they could take a shot at a boom or bust type player. Plus he would fit right down in south Philly.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As an Oilers fan, I would love to be able to get him with the pick that we acquired from the Islanders. That said, I wouldn't use my teams pick which could be anywhere from 1st-8th.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Would love to see the Flyers trade the Nashville 1st and another pick/prospect and move up to get him if he falls to around 9-12. They would have already taken a great player at #1 or 2 overall so then they could take a shot at a boom or bust type player. Plus he would fit right down in south Philly.

Agreed. Maybe Nashville's 1st and one of Umberger/Potulny/Ruzicka would get it done. And yeah, with a first and last name both ending in a vowel, he'd be loved in Philly. Unless he turned into a bust. Then he'd be run out of town.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I dont even know why he's being touted as the next Daigle. At least Daigle threw together 137 points in his draft year and made the WJC. I'm not a bandwagon jumper but from a players rookie year to his draft year he has to show some improvement. I dont know about ou but 94 points as a 16 year old to 79 points as a 17 year has an alarming trend. Look at some of the games best and how they did.

Crosby rookie: 135 points Draft year: 168
Thornton rookie: 72 points Draft year 122
Marleau rookie 76 points Draft year 125
Lecavalier rookie 102 points Draft year 115
Spezza rookie 15 year old: 71 Draft year two years later 116
E. Staal 15 year old: 49 points Draft year two years later 98

Then the retired ones: Mario Lemieux went from 96 to 184 to 282 points in his draft year. That's a jump of pretty much 100 points each year.

Even Tavares already has doubled his rookie point total (almost). You have to see improvement from a kid. If not you're taking a gamble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->