So called "World Cup" beginning to suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
One thing that comes to mind as all of these drop outs are a t-i-t for t-a-t thing.

Agent calls player:
"GM is saying they aren't signing guys until they know what the new CBA will be."

Player:
"Well, I won't play in their World Cup until I know what my contract will be."

That is my impression, that all of these dropouts are a shot at an NHL sponsored event, and now it is being used as a bargaining chip.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
George Bachul said:
One thing that comes to mind as all of these drop outs are a t-i-t for t-a-t thing.

Agent calls player:
"GM is saying they aren't signing guys until they know what the new CBA will be."

Player:

That is my impression, that all of these dropouts are a shot at an NHL sponsored event, and now it is being used as a bargaining chip.
Good point and it is influencing some rosters.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Its sad you know that guys are doing this. We know no that Russia is going to be pretty bad in this tourny now. It appears to be more of a Canada/Sweden final now. Its funny cause in 1976 Bobby Orr didnt have a contract and he was injured. He basically played on one knee throughout the tourny. He answered the bell for his country why arent the likes or Fedorov or Khabibulin doing the same?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Big Phil said:
Its sad you know that guys are doing this. We know no that Russia is going to be pretty bad in this tourny now. It appears to be more of a Canada/Sweden final now. Its funny cause in 1976 Bobby Orr didnt have a contract and he was injured. He basically played on one knee throughout the tourny. He answered the bell for his country why arent the likes or Fedorov or Khabibulin doing the same?

because they arent slaves ? they dont have to if they dont want to.

dr

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
No players do not have to as the older they get the more family can enter into it, or they can just be incredibly ungrateful like Fedorov. The game has given him everything and playing in the World Cup should not be that difficult. I'll be pleased he's not there as hopefully the younger Russians will be hungry and eager to impress. Who will lead? That is the question. No matter there are six very solid countries still onboard and the German's have all hands on deck. Still will be a good show.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Big Phil said:

Because this isn't 1976 and some players have other priorities.

People think players have some sort of obligation to play in the World Cup. If you were picked to be on the Russian team, and you saw the clusterfudge, chaos and mass hysteria their organization is, I sure as hell wouldn't want to play.

Reilly311

Why is it ungratful when Fedorov pulls out, but when Blake pulls out for the same reason, it isn't?

Anyway, once NHL players were allowed to play in the Olympics, the World Cup became a joke.

Ned Flanders

Aug 4, 2004
Expand the tournament. Allow 16 teams. Sure you might have some blowouts but it would make great entertainment.

Reilly311

colonel_korn said:
Are they pulling out for the same reason? I wasn't aware that Fedorov was injured...

``He's nursing a few minor injuries - nothing major but he's not 100 per cent,'' said Brisson. ``He skated in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and he didn't feel quite ready.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Reilly311 said:
``He's nursing a few minor injuries - nothing major but he's not 100 per cent,'' said Brisson. ``He skated in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago and he didn't feel quite ready.

yeah that's a bunch of ********

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Reilly311 said:
Why is it ungratful when Fedorov pulls out, but when Blake pulls out for the same reason, it isn't?

Anyway, once NHL players were allowed to play in the Olympics, the World Cup became a joke.

There's no way you can call this tournament a joke. with the exception of about 2-5 players per team on avg these teams are stacked with NHLers and talent with the exception of Germany (who may surprise a team or two).

There's no way this is a joke. How would you know anyways there hasn't been a world cup since the NHLers were allowed to play in the Olympics.

All I know is i'll be watching every game I can and cheering on Canada till they capture the gold. That won't be so much of a joke will it?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
It *is* quickly becoming a joke. Players are dropping like flies, it's pretty much one or two a day right now. Every day I get up, and click on TSN to see who dropped out today.

This apathy is what killed the Canada Cup the first time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
Because this isn't 1976 and some players have other priorities.

And in 1976 Orr didnt have priorites? Or a family? Give me a break that's a load!
Look at the Canadian players. Jose Theodore doesnt complain for a second and then Eddie pulls out and he's in like that! Guys are honoured to be playing. And they should be. Gretzky said Rick Nash and Bouwmeester are on stand by in case of an injury even if they arent at camp. You think they wouldnt join the team if someone got hurt on August 28th? You bet they would. That's the way to do it.

dafranchz

George Bachul said:

Agent calls player:

Player:

Which also leads to no insurance coverage for players that aren't signed....no?

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
There's no way you can call this tournament a joke. with the exception of about 2-5 players per team on avg these teams are stacked with NHLers and talent with the exception of Germany (who may surprise a team or two).

There's no way this is a joke. How would you know anyways there hasn't been a world cup since the NHLers were allowed to play in the Olympics.

All I know is i'll be watching every game I can and cheering on Canada till they capture the gold. That won't be so much of a joke will it?

You may not be cheering very long if you're only cheering for Canada! It is starting to look grim for them, too. The USA should be the favorite right now, based on who is NOT playing for their respective teams. Although goaltending will probably save the day for Team Canada.

Yes, the World Cup is almost as big a joke as the Olympics are now. Pros playing in an amateur contest? Ooohhh, real tough to win THAT! I hope the Olympics boots out both the pro basketball players and the NHL hockey players (and pro baseball players, too, I guess). THEN at least it means something to have won a medal. However, since the World Cup is SUPPOSED to be the highest level players in the world, it probably actually should mean MORE than the Olympics to these guys.

dafranchz

jiggs 10 said:
You may not be cheering very long if you're only cheering for Canada! It is starting to look grim for them, too. The USA should be the favorite right now, based on who is NOT playing for their respective teams. Although goaltending will probably save the day for Team Canada.

Yes, the World Cup is almost as big a joke as the Olympics are now. Pros playing in an amateur contest? Ooohhh, real tough to win THAT! I hope the Olympics boots out both the pro basketball players and the NHL hockey players (and pro baseball players, too, I guess). THEN at least it means something to have won a medal. However, since the World Cup is SUPPOSED to be the highest level players in the world, it probably actually should mean MORE than the Olympics to these guys.

The last time I checked baseball is still amatuers. But yeah I agree on booting them.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Well its looking good for Canada anyway. Atleast our competition is diminishing. They are going from favorites to heavy favorites now.

There is no way the USA should be consider the favorites, no way. I'm just being honoest. I admit that the US is a very strong team but they will not be able to match up against Canada or Sweden.

Last edited:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
If NHL players weren't allowed to play in the Olympics, Canada and the USA would have a big disadvantage compared to the European countries.
Not neccessarily in quality, both would have enough excellent players left, but in equality.

European countries could choose players from their top league, while USA and Canada couldn't do that. They would have to use college, junior or minor league (not AHL) players.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Canadian_man said:
Well its looking good for Canada anyway. Atleast our competition is diminishing. They are going from favorites to heavy favorites now.

There is no way the USA should be consider the favorites, no way. I'm just being honoest. I admit that the US is a very strong team but they will not be able to match up against Canada or Sweden.

I rank Canada's diviosion as follows :

Canada - 3-0
Slovakis - 2-1
USA - 0-2-1
Russia -0-2-1

USA is no threat at ALL ! Canada loses Yzerman, Who cares, he should not have been there in the 1st place ! Blake is a loss, but We have 4 guys that could replace him. Only concern is Sweden !

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Bennysflyers16 said:
I rank Canada's diviosion as follows :

Canada - 3-0
Slovakis - 2-1
USA - 0-2-1
Russia -0-2-1

USA is no threat at ALL ! Canada loses Yzerman, Who cares, he should not have been there in the 1st place ! Blake is a loss, but We have 4 guys that could replace him. Only concern is Sweden !

Notice how Canada is the only country that can replace a superstar player with another superstar? :banana:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:

How is it looking grim for Canada? They are still the overwhelming favorite to win this tournament.

jiggs 10 said:

What are you talking about? Pros playing in an amateur contest? Its not like the pro NHL players are playing against amateur bobsledders. Its pros vs pros from every country. How is that not "real tough to win"?

Why should pros not be allowed? If its supposed to be the best in the world, it should be the best, no restrictions. Why would it mean less if pro basketball players win a gold against other pros, than if amateur players win it against amateurs? Its supposed to be about the best athletes from each country (note: Yao Ming is carrying the flag for China). If the amateurs were better athletes, they would be professional and be making millions.

I dont understand your logic and why you are so bitter.

BCCHL inactive

PecaFan said:
It *is* quickly becoming a joke. Players are dropping like flies, it's pretty much one or two a day right now. Every day I get up, and click on TSN to see who dropped out today.

This apathy is what killed the Canada Cup the first time.

If you think the World Cup is going to be a joke, why don't you just quit paying attention to the tournament?

It is quite a simple solution, and those who are going to be watching the tournament won't be bothered by your bitterness.

jiggs 10 said:
Yes, the World Cup is almost as big a joke as the Olympics are now. Pros playing in an amateur contest? Ooohhh, real tough to win THAT!

You speak as if Canada was the only country to have professional hockey players.

When your competition is at the same level as you, it is tough to win.

jiggs 10 said:
I hope the Olympics boots out both the pro basketball players and the NHL hockey players (and pro baseball players, too, I guess).THEN at least it means something to have won a medal.

I see the Olympics as being about the best athletes on the planet.

Look at other sports....track and field, cycling, and other similar sports....they have no professional leagues. The athletes competing in those sports are the best on the planet at what they do. Why should sports like hockey, basketball and baseball not be allowed to use their best athletes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad