GDT: Snow Day - Avalanche @ Flames 7pm MT

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This is expected

The only thing I am hoping for is a top 10 pick. Hopefully top 8.

I think the draft drops off significantly after that.

Reactions: User1996

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Nice high stick they missed. Jebus

At least the compete level is still there. You can see we are lacking the same high end skill of the last 3 teams we have played

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's the same guy who wanted Hanifin traded because he was sooo bad.

Team without Hanifin is legit one of the worst defensive teams in the league now.
Oh I know, they have a long list of.... let's say questionable opinions.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
200w.gif

Flames are under siege for Tij.
Wish we could fast forward to the draft.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Is getting pummeled with 19 goals against in 3 straight games not on the coach at all? The same guy who brought us to a 2-7-1 start despite being here for like 6 years as an assistant and knowing the team so well?

Stretches like these should get coaches fired. It’s unacceptable hockey regardless of whoever they can or cannot ice

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Meh, the issue isn't just Hanifin leaving, because Kylington's basically replaced his minutes. It's that after losing the 2nd pairing, the top pairing in Andersson and Weegar checked out while also having to take on more minutes and higher competition. Combine that with the bottom 3 defencemen all essentially being the 7th or 8th on their contending teams depth charts and well, you get what you get.

This isn't a well constructed defence group to the surprise of no one. All of Kylington, Andersson, & Weegar have similar strengths and weakness. in that all of them are capable offensive puck rushers but none of them are strong defensive defensemen. And Hanifin was right there in that group which is why overpaying him to stay was always such a dumb idea. Tanev was the backbone of the defence.

Plus, they're missing their key offensive driver, puck carrier, and one of their better defensive forwards in Connor "the franchise" Zary.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Is getting pummeled with 19 goals against in 3 straight games not on the coach at all? The same guy who brought us to a 2-7-1 start despite being here for like 6 years as an assistant and knowing the team so well?

Stretches like these should get coaches fired. It’s unacceptable hockey regardless of whoever they can or cannot ice

Firing a coach because your mediocre roster plays like a mediocre roster is stupid. I don't even like Huska but why would he be to blame for this shit? It's the exact same shit as when people were blaming Sutter. The coaching isn't the problem with this team. It's always been the players.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

So you’re proposing yet another coaching change because a horrible roster is getting beat by good teams? Who exactly would have this roster winning?

Out of curiosity, how bad would you complain of we were winning and not sliding into a better draft position instead anyways?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Meh, the issue isn't just Hanifin leaving, because Kylington's basically replaced his minutes. It's that after losing the 2nd pairing, the top pairing in Andersson and Weegar checked out while also having to take on more minutes and higher competition. Combine that with the bottom 3 defencemen all essentially being the 7th or 8th on their contending teams depth charts and well, you get what you get.

This isn't a well constructed defence group to the surprise of no one. All of Kylington, Andersson, & Weegar have similar strengths and weakness. in that all of them are capable offensive puck rushers but none of them are strong defensive defensemen. And Hanifin was right there in that group which is why overpaying him to stay was always such a dumb idea. Tanev was the backbone of the defence.

Plus, they're missing their key offensive driver, puck carrier, and one of their better defensive forwards in Connor "the franchise" Zary.
I mean Kylington has been on the ice for 8 goals against and 7 at 5v5 since the trade, we can lay blame on the veterans checking out of the season but he’s been getting terrible results too in Hanifin’s role.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I mean Kylington has been on the ice for 8 goals against and 7 at 5v5 since the trade, we can lay blame on the veterans checking out of the season but he’s been getting terrible results too in Hanifin’s role.
Exactly. “Replacing” Hanifin’s minutes is used very loosely there. It’s the same as saying Miromanov has replaced Tanev’s minutes. Like technically they’re playing those minutes, but getting much worse results.

Reactions: Felidae

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The team sucking is the best result we can have at this point. And who is surprised? Losing a sulking Lindholm was one thing, but the Tanev/Hanifin losses are pretty much the death rattles for the team. You can't be competitive post-deadline when you traded one of your two top pairs lol.

I want 7-6 losses, Zary with hat tricks and 4 point nights, I want Wolf make 53 saves on 57 shots, etc etc. Get the young guys going and confident while also coming to grips that this team is going to lose a lot.

Seriously, and Ryan Huska has got that disciplined general look to lead at the front in a tank. Like come on, its a match made in heaven.

Develop the youth and I'm happy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad