Snoop Dogg and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
After seeing that picture with Bettman and Snoop together got me thinking. This can be a strong partnership that generates more acceptance in the NHL.

The NHL needs Snoop more than he needs us. Snoop is one the best business men/self-promoters alive. He knows Hockey and Canada is an untapped oil well to expand his image. So he shows up at games and states that he'll be starting youth hockey leagues in the OC.

This is something Bettman should jump all over this opportunity.

A buddy of mine years ago said that, "If you threw a bunch of sticks and skates in the ghetto you would have minorities playing in the NHL in no time."

As generalized and stereotypical that statement is, there is some sense to it. I believe the NHL needs Snoop more than he needs the NHL.

What do you guys think?

RingTheBell

Mar 28, 2006
CT / MN
A buddy of mine years ago said that, "If you threw a bunch of sticks and skates in the ghetto you would have minorities playing in the NHL in no time."

Roller hockey maybe. I don't think ice time is easy to come by "in the ghetto". All it takes is a ball and a city/school court to play basketball. Anyone can go outside and toss a football. It's much more expensive to emulate hockey players than any other big sport.

puckhead103*

please keep the "street cred" rap crap away from hockey.....

snoop is nothing but a dumb rapper who caters to the lowest denominator.....

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Roller hockey maybe. I don't think ice time is easy to come by "in the ghetto". All it takes is a ball and a city/school court to play basketball. Anyone can go outside and toss a football. It's much more expensive to emulate hockey players than any other big sport.

exactly.. and the time commitment is huge as well if they want to make it to the nhl level

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...

Wow thats not slightly disrespectful to an entire population or anything.

Anyway anything that can grow the sport in the US is a great thing. It's not just "ghettos" that listen to Snoop dog and having him supporting the league isn't something I would turn down. We need more kids getting interested in the sport so it can flourish and our league can grow in both skill and revenue.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
exactly.. and the time commitment is huge as well if they want to make it to the nhl level

Just like any sport whats the point? Still though Roller hockey is just the first step. The more people you get playing roller hockey the more people you will get watching the NHL both of those factors means more demand for rinks. More rinks breed more hockey players from the area. Look at places like Florida, Texas and California where the sport is starting to grow. These areas all started out as roller hockey area's and now they have ice rinks sprouting up everywhere. Ever heard of a kid named Brett Sterling? LA born and raised tearing up the AHL. Or a kid named John-Micheal Liles born and raised in Zionsville Indiana a suburb of Indianapolis or Jack Johnson also of Indianapolis. You think any of them would be playing right now if it wasn't for roller hockey?

BDubinskyNYR17*

great, if Snoop has a deal with the NHL we will hear this: Colin White shot and killed cause of that check that sent Jagr to the boards. :rant: Rap is the only music that rappers kill each other, u dont see that with any type of music, why is that???

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
great, if Snoop has a deal with the NHL we will hear this: Colin White shot and killed cause of that check that sent Jagr to the boards. :rant: Rap is the only music that rappers kill each other, u dont see that with any type of music, why is that???

Norwegian Death Metal is responsible for a rash of arsons in the 90's. From lead singers of many of the band actually. Guess we shouldn't associate with Norwegians.

A Good Flying Bird*

As generalized and stereotypical that statement is, there is some sense to it. I believe the NHL needs Snoop more than he needs the NHL.
What do you guys think?

I think your buddy might be a racist.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Energy misspent. And yet has that gimicky kinda feel of something Bettman would love.

What energy is even used? You throw the guy some tickets take some shots of him at the games word gets out he's a hockey fan bing bang boom hockeys name pops up in circles you wouldn't usually hear it spoken about.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What energy is even used? You throw the guy some tickets take some shots of him at the games word gets out he's a hockey fan bing bang boom hockeys name pops up in circles you wouldn't usually hear it spoken about.

Sure, do that with "insert celebrity <X> here". Thus my gimicky comment.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Snoop's usual endorsement fees.

What the guy gets free recognition. You can't charge someone to have your picture show on tv if you're at a game. By entering the arena you enter a contract that your image can be used in broadcasts. Did I say put him in commercials and on billboards? No thats a terrible idea but if you send him free season tickets the guys going to show up.

GSK*

Lots of racist Canadians... Don't let their demeanor fool you...

***?

I don't think there is more racist in Canada than in the United States... And may be its otherwise dude... The % of minorities is more higher in Canada than in the USA last time I checked. Only in Montreal there is more Haitian, Italian, Arabs, Asians, Irish, Jews and others Europeans nationality than Canadians. Americains are way more racist in my book.

You're looking like a fool to make a statement like that.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Just like any sport whats the point? Still though Roller hockey is just the first step. The more people you get playing roller hockey the more people you will get watching the NHL both of those factors means more demand for rinks. More rinks breed more hockey players from the area. Look at places like Florida, Texas and California where the sport is starting to grow. These areas all started out as roller hockey area's and now they have ice rinks sprouting up everywhere. Ever heard of a kid named Brett Sterling? LA born and raised tearing up the AHL. Or a kid named John-Micheal Liles born and raised in Zionsville Indiana a suburb of Indianapolis or Jack Johnson also of Indianapolis. You think any of them would be playing right now if it wasn't for roller hockey?

indianapolis gets winter and has had the Fort Wayne Komets among other teams for about 50 years. far different than texas and s.cal which dont get winters as much.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There is some stereotyping going on here, and we can't have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad