Snipers and/or Powerforwards in the 2004 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
rob schremp is the 2nd best goal scorer in the draft!

(unneccessary post, just trying to get my Post-per-day percentage up, just trying to pad my stats haha)

DR. Holiday

JNRhockeyGURU said:
rob schremp is the 2nd best goal scorer in the draft!

(unneccessary post, just trying to get my Post-per-day percentage up, just trying to pad my stats haha)

Of course lol

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
Olesz is a Jagr in the making with heart. Just my opinion.

Jagr used to have heart too.

These are thoughts I had on a very recent Rick Nash thread: Most of the hot young players display heart and hunger. That's what being young is often all about.

But unfortunately, not all young players can maintain that level of enthusiasm over a career.

I catch old Jagr games on TV sometimes (NHL Network I think) and Jagr was just awesome. He would go hard to the net, overpower guys and pull incredible move. He'd deke like crazy and use the boards to pass the puck to himself.

I remember once, Jagr was at least 23-24 years old (he was not a rookie anymore and had been in the league for years) and a reporter here in Montreal was discussing with Mario Lemieux. The reporter had noticed that Jag had been the last man to get off the ice and had put the puck on the boards for several minutes and he talked to Mario about it.

Mario said that while Jagr was unbelivably talented, he was also somewhat of a perfectionist and that is why he had so much success. That night, Jagr passed the puck to himself a couple of times and scored a beautiful one thanks to that trick. Montreal was double-teaming on him and cutting all the passing lanes so he had to play alone and used the boards.

That really surprised me but Mario praised Jagr for his work ethic and said he was the hungriest player on the team. When you notice all the GREAT names the Pens have had in the past, it makes you realize that young players can do no wrong, it seems. But they're individuals just like everybody and people change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

I see it happen all the time. Sometimes lazier players become very dedicated, sometimes hungry people lose the passion and sometimes people stay the same.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Jagr used to have heart too.

These are thoughts I had on a very recent Rick Nash thread: Most of the hot young players display heart and hunger. That's what being young is often all about.

But unfortunately, not all young players can maintain that level of enthusiasm over a career.

I catch old Jagr games on TV sometimes (NHL Network I think) and Jagr was just awesome. He would go hard to the net, overpower guys and pull incredible move. He'd deke like crazy and use the boards to pass the puck to himself.

I remember once, Jagr was at least 23-24 years old (he was not a rookie anymore and had been in the league for years) and a reporter here in Montreal was discussing with Mario Lemieux. The reporter had noticed that Jag had been the last man to get off the ice and had put the puck on the boards for several minutes and he talked to Mario about it.

Mario said that while Jagr was unbelivably talented, he was also somewhat of a perfectionist and that is why he had so much success. That night, Jagr passed the puck to himself a couple of times and scored a beautiful one thanks to that trick. Montreal was double-teaming on him and cutting all the passing lanes so he had to play alone and used the boards.

That really surprised me but Mario praised Jagr for his work ethic and said he was the hungriest player on the team. When you notice all the GREAT names the Pens have had in the past, it makes you realize that young players can do no wrong, it seems. But they're individuals just like everybody and people change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

I see it happen all the time. Sometimes lazier players become very dedicated, sometimes hungry people lose the passion and sometimes people stay the same.

Great post. There's a reason why Jagr was named the 37th best player of all time when THN put out the list.

Younger posters may only know the Jagr of today and then project backwards. For awhile Jagr was the best player in the game. He won games by himself. Even now, a below par Jagr is amongst the league's leaders in points. Jagr, at his best, was a shade below the Gretzky's and Lemieux's. He was that dominant.

If you look at the players drafted lately since him- only Forsberg, Lindros in his prime or Kovalchuk (his potential) has shown the level of game Jagr was at. Good luck finding another player like him.

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
Alfie#11 said:
Great post. There's a reason why Jagr was named the 37th best player of all time when THN put out the list.

Younger posters may only know the Jagr of today and then project backwards. For awhile Jagr was the best player in the game. He won games by himself. Even now, a below par Jagr is amongst the league's leaders in points. Jagr, at his best, was a shade below the Gretzky's and Lemieux's. He was that dominant.

If you look at the players drafted lately since him- only Forsberg, Lindros in his prime or Kovalchuk (his potential) has shown the level of game Jagr was at. Good luck finding another player like him.

I would not even put kovalchuk in that list yet. I remeber seeing Jagr DOMINATE an entire team by himslf. He was jsut so powerful and skilled. You could not get the puck off his stick.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hokay said:
Lauri Tukonen(8th), Jakub Sindel(15th) and Petr Pohl(18th) are snipers.
Evgeni Malkin(2nd) and Joe Barnes(20th to 25th) are Power Forwards.

I dont really consider Pohl a pure sniper. I like his vision more than his shot. He is slick with the puck though.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Pineault

Broonzfanz said:
Anyone know the story on Adam Pineault, is he a power forward in the making? Hows he playing this year

Power forward for sure. Has all the skill needed. Bullit of a shot, passes hard and accurate, can hit and fight in the corners, wins face-offs most of the time, long skating strides, sees the ice well, great puck handling. This player will be around along time and is sure to have a successful NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad