Sniper at McDavid`s line

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Drai needs a winger more than McDavid needs a sniper

I tend to agree with this. While a bonafide shooter with McDavid would be a thing of beauty, Connor himself is capable of 40 (+) goals and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nuge flirt with 30 next year either.
It's Draisaitl who would benefit most from good, consistent line-mates.

Maybe Lucic has a bounce-back season, or Pulju takes the next step? I think that's sadly our only real hope. Because getting a good winger without creating a hole somewhere else in the lineup won't be easy.

Reactions: Ck1

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I would love Skinner on this team. He became my favorite player when I got introduced to hockey. That being said, McDavid doesn't need any help as some have already said. We need lines 2-4 to be much much better.

Skinner could be a great winger for Drai.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Hoffman would be great addition to the team but at what cost. Likely have to give up klefbom and a pick and prospect and that creates a hole in an area we can't afford to create a hole in. unless we can pull of a trade using picks and prospects

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Tobias Reider for Draisaitl's wing?
He wont cost much.

Agree that McDavid doesnt need a sniper on his line esp if RNH is there. He can get his 100pts with Rattie\Yamamoto on his wing along with Nuge.

No thanks to Skinner\Hoffman etc.

We also need to upgrade on Strome at 3C... JG Pageau would be ideal not sure what the cost would be.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hoffman would be great addition to the team but at what cost. Likely have to give up klefbom and a pick and prospect and that creates a hole in an area we can't afford to create a hole in. unless we can pull of a trade using picks and prospects
I think he would make an excellent fit as well, I don't know that the cost of acquisition would be that prohibitive, though it's managing the cap is the larger issue.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
2 guys I actually don't like for that spot.

Josh Anderson, I don't think he's got high enough end shot and skill to play there.\

Michael Grabner, I don't think his offensive hockey sense is right for playing with McDavid. I really like the idea of Grabner on the Oilers, but I don't know if he's a great fit with McDavid and Nuge.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Certainly McDavid certainly drives his own bus. But his effectiveness is multiplied exponentially when playing with talent who can think the game at his level, move the puck quickly and has the legs to keep up.

Imagine a guy who can skate with McDavid who has a one time shot who knows how to get open on McDavids wing.

The team is already top heavy with McDavid as the sole offensive catalyst. He's on for almost 50% of the goals the team scores. It's just not a need.

Find a winger who can gel with with Draisaitl would help much more than a sniper for 97.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Back to back art Ross winner McDavid needs help? Don't think so. huge and Rattie with McDavid is more than enough production from the first line. What this team NEEDS is a Defenceman to keep the Auvitus and Bennings out of the lineup. To have some semblance of offensive ability from the back end. To help our anemic power play. To help keep Talbot afloat.

Reactions: LTIR

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The team is already top heavy with McDavid as the sole offensive catalyst. He's on for almost 50% of the goals the team scores. It's just not a need.

Find a winger who can gel with with Draisaitl would help much more than a sniper for 97.

I don’t disagree with that at all. Bottom line for me is we need another top 6 winger with a shooters acumen. Whether that player plays with 97 or 29 makes no difference to me, so long as RNH is not on the same line and we get consistent scoring from both top lines.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
2 guys I actually don't like for that spot.

Josh Anderson, I don't think he's got high enough end shot and skill to play there.\

Michael Grabner, I don't think his offensive hockey sense is right for playing with McDavid. I really like the idea of Grabner on the Oilers, but I don't know if he's a great fit with McDavid and Nuge.

Grabner has the wheels though?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What do guys think of Athanasiou (sp?). Kid had a tough start in negotiations with Detroit this off season and the Ilitches demand loyalty from their players so perhaps they’d listen on a deal there. He’s got maybe the fastest set of wheels in the league after McDavid. Wouldn’t think the cost would be too bad in terms of futures.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Grabner has the wheels though?
He absolutely does, but that's why he might do better with Draisaitl and, say, Khaira. Change of pace with bigger bodies. Like I said, Grabner's hockey sense might not be conducive to playing with McDavid and Nuge.

Edit: I want Grabner on this team, I just don't that he would fit with McDavid, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Witch

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid has elevated his game to level where he does not need a sniper on his line.

The era of overpassing is over and McD is now a threat to score 50 all by himself.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
McDavid has elevated his game to level where he does not need a sniper on his line.

The era of overpassing is over and McD is now a threat to score 50 all by himself.
He just needs a lights out shooter or a guy who's smart enough to go the right areas for the easy ones (like Maroon did last season)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He just needs a lights out shooter or a guy who's smart enough to go the right areas for the easy ones (like Maroon did last season)
He doesn... The team does..
We have a whole lot of overpassers\playmakers and not many finishers.
Its actually sad to see RNH having to score as many goals as assists this year..
Nuge, Drai and McD are all playmakers. The next highest scorer after these 3 is still Maroon wit 14G in 57 GP.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its actually sad to see RNH having to score as many goals as assists this year..
Nuge, Drai and McD are all playmakers. The next highest scorer after these 3 is still Maroon wit 14G in 57 GP.
That's more then fair

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuges playmaking skills have declined since early in his career. At this stage he’s a better scorer than passer.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don’t disagree with that at all. Bottom line for me is we need another top 6 winger with a shooters acumen. Whether that player plays with 97 or 29 makes no difference to me, so long as RNH is not on the same line and we get consistent scoring from both top lines.

It's not coming from the trade market or FA unless someone like Vanek is willing to come in for cheap.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's not coming from the trade market or FA unless someone like Vanek is willing to come in for cheap.

Depends what you define as cheap. James Neal would not come cheap, Not getting Tavares, Stasny, Perron, JVR or Kane either.

I read Grabner might be resigning back in New York with the Rangers when he was traded, apparently he loves the area and the Rangers would possibly take him back as an interim scoring winger while they retool.

Vanek I would prefer sign elsewhere but if they sign him I hope he’s given the full Tortorella treatment with regards to work ethic and defensive responsibility.

Perhaps Derek Ryan, Riley Nash? Not a good free agent year.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
McDavid has shown he can produce, regardless of who he's playing with. I think the bigger need is scoring options on Draisaitl's wing since he's more reliant on others to provide offense.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Given the cap space we're looking at? A million bucks or less.

Fair enough. I am looking at players $2M and under, perhaps a Derek Ryan would come home to play but he strikes me as a C who could play wing but more 3rd line. Not a lot of scoring prowess there for under 1-2M. Bottom line is we have to draft and develop our way out of this I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad