Sneep and Gryba: Behemoth Blueline Battle in Boston?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Ohio Jones, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

OK, I took the alliteration a little too far, but I'm intrigued by what appear to be the similarities between mammoth right-handed defencemen Carl Sneep and Eric Gryba, who have committed to Boston College and Boston University, respectively. Should be an interesting Beanpot next year!

Has anyone seen both who can offer an objective comparison of where they are now, and what their potential looks like?

2. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Everyone speeks of Gryba being an offensive defenseman, I don't agree. I like his size, skating ability, and mean streak much more. He's an athletic defenseman with an assertive and abrasive game that I really like.

3. Amadeus

Amadeus Stand Witness

I've heard Gryba is someone Toronto might be looking into. I've heard Gryba has some skating issues though. Is there any truth to that ?

4. Hammertyme

Hammertyme Registered User

Manufacturing Business
    Saw Gryba

I saw Gryba play this year four times. In the BUC Bowl he was the best D man on the ice hands down. He was scoring playing on the PP and PK. Tons of confidence.

I saw him another month later and Green Bay had 2 US boys on the PP who couldn't do a thing and Gryba never saw any PP time. I don't know why.

I saw him again in February and Gryba was lucky to get on the ice. When he did he seemed effective considering he was likely cold. He was playing like his confidence had been stripped, no rushing or jumping into the play, just solid defense, FRUSTRATION.

The final game that I saw him in was in the playoffs when Green Bays "top" defenceman was injured. Gryba got plenty of ice and lit it up. Big hits, good passing, good positional play, a good tilt, 2 points in 3 games -confidence seemed to be back.

As far as being an offensive defenseman I think that he could be if he wasn't stuck on the third line with a questionable partner who could not handle 2 on 1's

It seems that this kid was a wasted commodity in Green Bay by a coach(Mazzalini) who is known for screwing kids around like he did in Harvard. To bad he was screwed around in his draft year. He could have legitimately had a shot as a first round pick with a good season. As far as potential we will all have to wait and see.

5. Bluenote13

Bluenote13 Believe In Henke

Home Page:
    I still think Gryba will go late first round.

6. Rogie21

Rogie21 Registered User

Neither ISS nor Central Scouting thinks so.

ISS: . But the big defenseman continues to impress with his complete game and his excellent foot speed. He is extremely mobile and looks almost unchallenged in the USHL with his overall talent.

CSS: ERIC IS A STRONG A SKATER WITH ADEQUATE BACKWARD SPEED – HE HAS A LONG STRIDE AND ONCE UNDERWAY HE CAN BE DECEIVING WHEN RUSHING THE PUCK

Moreover, at BU he'll be working with Mike Boyle, a strength and conditioning coach renowned for enhancing skating speed and strength, at a state-of-the art training facility, the best on-campus facility of any NCAA hockey team.

7. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Gryba's an awesome prospect.

8. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

Interesting - thanks for the feedback. No love for Sneep? Sounds like a great all-around athlete and student... RLR suggests both players are "just starting to get an idea of how good (they) can be..." (or words to that effect).

(For the record, I drafted Gryba 56th overall in the HFNHL draft. Sneep went 51st.)

9. Patty Ice

Patty Ice Best in the World

I think Sneep can be a great player. If I was running the Sharks draft I would pick him at 20 if Nigel Williams was gone. I don't necessarily think the Sharks would go that route but they could use a guy with his package.

10. Whawks33

Whawks33 Registered User

Home Page:
    Question: Would Gryba's stock/rating/draft position be higher if he had chosen the WHL over USHL and waiting for a scholarship?

11. clefty

clefty Retrovertigo

Home Page:
    Gryba's a machine.