Smyth and Brewer don't deserve to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Garfield said:
Geez...you're right.

Smyth > Iginla.

:lol

Wow did you ever miss that point...

All he was pointing out is that Smyth has been one the the best forwards production-wise while Iggy hasn't been. Yet. He will get there, he is too good.

But your pro-flames anti-oilers glasses don't let you see any talent in anyone from the Oilers. So your opinion, while noted, means little to most Oiler fans, and hockey fans in general.

I used to think M=G was the biggest homer on these boards, but you really blew him away, kudos to you :lol

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Garfield said:
Geez...you're right.

Smyth > Iginla.

:lol

I didn't say that.

I fail to see how Smyths first goal was a gimme goal anyway. He did it all himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
dem said:
I didn't say that.

I fail to see how Smyths first goal was a gimme goal anyway. He did it all himself.

I was only kidding. I am cheering for Canada too so Smyth can score 5 goals a game and Iggy 0, I will still be happy.

As for the first goal, it was a gimme in the sense that Stana made a horrible play on it. Not to take anything away from Smyth's effort but if Stana just had his paddle along the ice, no goal. It was a nice effort but a weak goal on Stana.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Westcoasthabsfan said:
I am just happy that McCabe isnt on the team because he is really OVERRATED... people in TO think he is a future NORRIS TROPHY winner.... now thats funny

:lol:
You show me in any way of form a logical reason McCabe is over rated? Oh and with the play McCabe is capable of why wouldn't we feel he has a shot at a Norris trophy in the future what I would like to know is how is that so funny Mr Montreal...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What a ridiculous thread, they both deserve to be here. They have both played well. Maybe if Canada had all of the defensmen healthy including Blake and Pronger, Brewer might not be in the top 8 but he is here and he is playing great.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Joey24 said:
You show me in any way of form a logical reason McCabe is over rated? Oh and with the play McCabe is capable of why wouldn't we feel he has a shot at a Norris trophy in the future what I would like to know is how is that so funny Mr Montreal...
I'll give it a try.

1. bright as a two-watt light bulb
2. will take the stupidest penalties a the worst time
3. will lose his compusure at the drop of a puck
4. if he gets beat on a play he'll often go after the player and do something stupid (see #2 and #3)
5. he only plays well when he has another good d-man as his partner (i.e. his defensive shortcomings can be covered up by his partner)

in return you get good offensive production. Put him as a forward and maybe you got something, but as a d-man, the defensive part of game comes way short. I guess you can say he could eventually win a norris since that award has often gone to the player who played the defense position and got the most points, but in IMO the prime requisite for the position is defense first, offense second. mccabe is offense first, defense whenever he feels like it.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Westcoasthabsfan said:
I am just happy that McCabe isnt on the team because he is really OVERRATED... people in TO think he is a future NORRIS TROPHY winner.... now thats funny
:lol:

It's funnier that you clowns think Jovo will win it.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
blah said:
McCabe is a rich man's Any elmore.

We'll ignore the cry out for "hooked on phonics" here...

Comparing Delmore to McCabe? Come on guy. I know you're a Flyers fan, but seriously...

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
blah said:
McCabe is a rich man's Any elmore.

sure, mccabe isn't adam foote (few are), but he's hardly a defensive liability like so many people assume he is. he had a very bad game against philly, and if someone argues that he cracks under the pressure, fine, i can live with that. but some people go WAY overboard with the bashing. mccabe is solid defensively, which is obviously something that's considered when voting for the norris trophy (zidlicky and tarnstrom had comparable point totals to mccabe, i wonder where they showed up in the voting...).

to conclude, everyone likes their hometown players, and i'm no different. but it's really ridiculous to compare mccabe to someone so completely innept defensively like delmore. he's better than that, and in my oppinion he's one of the top 10 d-men in Canada

back to the original topic:

smyth deserves to be there, no question in my mind. he brings so much to the table. does the little things well, goes hard to the net, battles every shift, and he's a pretty respectable scorer when given the chance

brewer, i'm not sold on. but i can't complain as of yet. so far so good

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I never questioned Smyth being there. He has been the heart and soul of the Oilers for years and despite his two goals the other night I still would have said he's on this team. YOu win with guys like Ryan Smyth. He works so hard that you cant help but follow him. I have a problem with Morrow being on the team however since I have never been truly impressed with him.

And as for Brewer he has only done one thing wrong, that was fail to clear the puck out on Slovakia's only goal. He's still deserving to be there I think. Canada's defence although not spectacular because of the injuries, is as solid and steady as they come.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Joey24 said:

Easy, the Toronto fans all think that he should be there.

But...

The Canadian management team which includes his OWN HEAD COACH, has decided that Brewer, Regehr, Hannan and Bouwmeester all deserves to be there ahead of McCabe. REAL hockey experts like the Canadian selection committee that is. Not hockey fans thinking anyone actually cares about their opinions.

= Overrated. McCabe is simply not considered a top 8 defenseman for Canada (Obviously, Pronger, Blake, Niedermeyer, Foote, Redden, Brewer, Hannan, Bouwmeester, and Regehr). I'm not convinced he's even top 10. I would put Aucoin ahead of him and then its a toss up between Barret Jackman (if he wasn't injured), Brad Stuart, Kyle McLaren, Sheldon Souray, Chris Phillips etc.

You're going by your opinion, and I'm going with mine, but neither one of our opinions matter. It comes down to the Canadian Selection committee and with the results so far, it looks like they made some excellent selections.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Somehow Leaf Fans manage to include McCabe in every god damn thread. Give it up he isnt here and they are playing great without him.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Like I said before, mccabe just doesn't have it upstairs. All the Dmen on the team have at least 1 thing in common, they all play a smart game.

Imagine this scenario. Late in a tie game, mccabe gets beat on the outside, like he is want to do, turns around trips the player who beat him gets a penalty, other team scores, Team Canada loses. What is Quinn going to do now, he has to live with this guy for 82 games a year. Quinn does not want another cujo situation. This is why mccabe is not on the team. They need defense from their Dmen not offense. They have plenty of guns up front for that.

Is mccabe better than the guys there, who knows. What I do know is that I am very comfortable watching the guys there. If mccabe was playing I'd always be nervous hoping he wouldn't screw up.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Kickabrat said:
I'll give it a try.

1. bright as a two-watt light bulb
2. will take the stupidest penalties a the worst time
3. will lose his compusure at the drop of a puck
4. if he gets beat on a play he'll often go after the player and do something stupid (see #2 and #3)
5. he only plays well when he has another good d-man as his partner (i.e. his defensive shortcomings can be covered up by his partner)

in return you get good offensive production. Put him as a forward and maybe you got something, but as a d-man, the defensive part of game comes way short. I guess you can say he could eventually win a norris since that award has often gone to the player who played the defense position and got the most points, but in IMO the prime requisite for the position is defense first, offense second. mccabe is offense first, defense whenever he feels like it.

You don't know the first thing about Bryan McCabe. Couldn't expect much more from a guy who is still sulking about his team getting beat out of the playoffs 4 times out of the last 5 by none other then guess who. You have no Idea on Bryan McCabe maybe if you had a half a clue your self you could reply with a logical post but I guess it could be expected since I took a few minutes to look over a few other posts you made and guess what they were not much better then this one. Keep up the good work bub. :lol

stockwizard*

Kickabrat said:
Like I said before, mccabe just doesn't have it upstairs. All the Dmen on the team have at least 1 thing in common, they all play a smart game.

Excluding JOVO

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
arrbez said:
sure, mccabe isn't adam foote (few are), but he's hardly a defensive liability like so many people assume he is. he had a very bad game against philly, and if someone argues that he cracks under the pressure, fine, i can live with that. but some people go WAY overboard with the bashing. mccabe is solid defensively, which is obviously something that's considered when voting for the norris trophy (zidlicky and tarnstrom had comparable point totals to mccabe, i wonder where they showed up in the voting...).

to conclude, everyone likes their hometown players, and i'm no different. but it's really ridiculous to compare mccabe to someone so completely innept defensively like delmore. he's better than that, and in my oppinion he's one of the top 10 d-men in Canada

back to the original topic:

smyth deserves to be there, no question in my mind. he brings so much to the table. does the little things well, goes hard to the net, battles every shift, and he's a pretty respectable scorer when given the chance

brewer, i'm not sold on. but i can't complain as of yet. so far so good

I agree I still think if Ryan Smyth was on a team that had a good supporting cast like a Toronto or Detroit, etc etc he could put up 40 goals on a regular basis. I always like Ryan and don't think there is any question weather or not he should be on this team.

stockwizard*

Joey24 said:
There is nothing wrong with Jovo... I don't know what the hell you guys are smoking on this board.
Believe me. I get to watch him all the time.

Jovo is strong, fast, has a hard shot, and when he gets the puck in his own zone he gives it away 9 times out of 10.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Kickabrat said:

Imagine this scenario. Late in a tie game, mccabe gets beat on the outside, like he is want to do, turns around trips the player who beat him gets a penalty, other team scores, Team Canada loses. What is Quinn going to do now, he has to live with this guy for 82 games a year. Quinn does not want another cujo situation. This is why mccabe is not on the team. They need defense from their Dmen not offense. They have plenty of guns up front for that.

Is mccabe better than the guys there, who knows. What I do know is that I am very comfortable watching the guys there. If mccabe was playing I'd always be nervous hoping he wouldn't screw up.

yeah, and i heard he eats babies too, lol. what a witch hunt

Ironchef Chris Wok*

I've been the biggest non-non-closet oiler fan Ryan Smyth supporter on this board. He looked GREAT. His line with Vinny and Dany looked dangerous both games. He drove to the net, he did the dirty work.... typical Ryan Smyth work.

Brewer... I thought Brewer was a FORCE in the American Game. He was hitting hard, did some good PP work. Against the Slovaks, their goal was the result of a failed Brewer clearing attempt, but they were up 4 goals at the time.

Gaborik was runng circles around the Canadian's D. Was Brewer on the ice for any of Gaborik's chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->