Smyth and Brewer don't deserve to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Well that's what I here, I think it's time for those naysayers to eat their words, or come to me and I'll give you something to eat, it kinda looks like this, :banana:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
I never disputed the fact that Smyth should be there. But take it easy, he scored two "gimmie" goals and your acting like he's the best forward on the team. Clearly should be there, clearly 3rd-4th line material.

As for Brewer, I'll still say that I don't think he should be there. He hasn't impressed me one iota so far in the tourney, unlike Smyth. Anyone who said Brewer should not be there does not need to eat their words. Eating words would mean that Brewer has proven them wrong. He hasn't IMO.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Garfield said:
I never disputed the fact that Smyth should be there. But take it easy, he scored two "gimmie" goals and your acting like he's the best forward on the team. Clearly should be there, clearly 3rd-4th line material.

As for Brewer, I'll still say that I don't think he should be there. He hasn't impressed me one iota so far in the tourney, unlike Smyth. Anyone who said Brewer should not be there does not need to eat their words. Eating words would mean that Brewer has proven them wrong. He hasn't IMO.

So on Garfield's Iota Scale of Iota's, Brewer still hasn't reached level 1 on the Iota charts?

The media is giving him the respect he deserves, he's been a solid defenseman, and hasnt broken any bones yet, so I think Im gonna go ahead and give him his ice time, and 7 Iota's.

27theROCK

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
I think brewer deserves to be there hes played great the first two games. Hes being throwing big hits throught both games and if he keeps it up id say hes top tied for third best dman on the team behind foote and neids, then tied with Regehr

Kasparov*

I don't understand why Brewer was taken ahead of Mccabe/Souray/Aucoin etc.

He's physical though so i guess thats good...

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
senskickass12 said:
I may be biased but I'd take Redden over Brewer and Regehr

I would too, but the point is that Redden and Regehr are not subject to constant bashing for every little thing they do wrong.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Garfield said:

Yes.. well.. Iggy has had about 5 gimme goals and hasnt potted one of them.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Kasparov said:

Personally, I prefer Aucoin to Brewer, but not McCabe, and Souray would be close to a draw. McCabe to me has a good skill level but seems prone to meltdowns on a game to game basis. Over 82 games I take McCabe, over a short tourney, Brewer gets the nod.

Souray has more of a offensive flair, and with Redden, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, Bouwmeester, they had at the time probably thought that they had enough blueline offense and complimented it with Regher, Hannan, Foote and Brewer. Obviously they didn't count on two key injuries.

Brewer in my opinion has been the most physical of the Team Canada blueline, hasn't hurt them defensively. Solid so far, along with the entire team.

Gonchar

Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
Kasparov said:

Souray?? Did you happen to catch the playoffs last year??? He was terrible!! And so was McCabe!!

Brewer proved himself in the Olympics & the World Championships.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Garfield said:
I was only kidding. I am cheering for Canada too so Smyth can score 5 goals a game and Iggy 0, I will still be happy.

As for the first goal, it was a gimme in the sense that Stana made a horrible play on it. Not to take anything away from Smyth's effort but if Stana just had his paddle along the ice, no goal. It was a nice effort but a weak goal on Stana.

If Stana had his paddle on the ice, Smyth wouldn't have tried to slide it through his 5 hole. I've seen enough of Smyth to know that he can roof it from 3 feet out if he has too.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
I dont get why people are so against Brewer... He's a talented young defenceman who will be representing us for the better part of the next decade, It's good that he gets some quality experience so that he can play in future tourneys when he means a whole lot more than a bottom 3 defenceman...

He's one of the most talented young defencemen in the league, to not offer him a role after he won a Gold Medal would just be wrong.

As for Ryan Smyth... he's got a whole lot of guts and fortitude when going for the net. He adds an element that we have enough of, but not in the same talent level (i.e. he's a talented player, with the mentality of a fourth line energy player). This is the Carbon copy of what the World expects out of Canadian players, + he NEVER EVER has said no when the country called on him, it's not an honor for him to be on the team, it's simply where he belongs... To the others, it should be an honor to play alongside of him.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Garfield said:
I was only kidding. I am cheering for Canada too so Smyth can score 5 goals a game and Iggy 0, I will still be happy.

As for the first goal, it was a gimme in the sense that Stana made a horrible play on it. Not to take anything away from Smyth's effort but if Stana just had his paddle along the ice, no goal. It was a nice effort but a weak goal on Stana.

Ya, and if the goalie had his glove where the puck was going on that one goal, and if he had his pad where the puck was going on another, etc, etc, etc. To say that was a give me is a laugher.

Also, there's a reason none of the national media are questioning Brewers selection.... it's because he belongs there. And NO he isn't there because Lowe, because Quinn (McCabe) and Gretzky (Morris) both have atleast as much or more pull then Lowe.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
George Bachul said:
Personally, I prefer Aucoin to Brewer, but not McCabe, and Souray would be close to a draw. McCabe to me has a good skill level but seems prone to meltdowns on a game to game basis. Over 82 games I take McCabe, over a short tourney, Brewer gets the nod.

Souray has more of a offensive flair, and with Redden, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, Bouwmeester, they had at the time probably thought that they had enough blueline offense and complimented it with Regher, Hannan, Foote and Brewer. Obviously they didn't count on two key injuries.

Brewer in my opinion has been the most physical of the Team Canada blueline, hasn't hurt them defensively. Solid so far, along with the entire team.

You know something that ticks me off about people who say McCabe is prone to melt downs. The fact that they saw the guy have a bad playoff series aginst Philly not even a bad series 2 bad games and all we *Leaf fans* have heard since that series was how inconsistand McCabe has been and how he does not show up for the big games. Well if you can tell me how a guy who finished 4th in voting for the Norris trophy does not deserve to be there ahead of a guy like Jay Bouwmeester (who I do like but does not deserve to be ahead of McCabe.) or a guy like Eric Brewer (again does not deserve to be ahead of McCabe) or a guy like Scott Hannan, or Robyn Regehr. I don't understand how any of these players mentioned were selected before a Bryan McCabe or Adrian Aucoin. So the prone to meltdowns theory is a crock of Horse crap and that I guarantee you is not just me ranting about McCabe because I am a Leaf fan. I am ranting because he deserves to be on the team along with Aucoin imho. :rant:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You would be a fool to not want Smyth on your team. You can see the pride he has when wearing the team Canada jersey and he is willing to do whatever it takes to win. (the same goes for Iginila btw).

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
thome_26 said:
Ya, and if the goalie had his glove where the puck was going on that one goal, and if he had his pad where the puck was going on another, etc, etc, etc. To say that was a give me is a laugher.

Also, there's a reason none of the national media are questioning Brewers selection.... it's because he belongs there. And NO he isn't there because Lowe, because Quinn (McCabe) and Gretzky (Morris) both have atleast as much or more pull then Lowe.

No one is questioning it because the team is playing decently well. If this team loses a game then talk to me about the media questioning Gretzky's decision making process on the players he selected. The media is not going to start giving the team bad plablicity when they are winning their games.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
I don't see how Brewer has proven himself, I would still personally take McCabe but Brewer's still a good pick.

Smyth, definitely, but Iginla hasn't disappointed or anything. Consider that the only point scored by his whole Superman line was Sakic on a slot shot from the blue line.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I've never had a problem with Smyth - he's a maniac to go to the net in the games that matter most.

I could easily pass on Brewer for another Canadian dman - I've never been that impressed other than the '02 Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad