Slovan Bratislava 17/18

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
The team is on a pre-season camp these days, but there are still only 14 players on the roster; most of them are average at best even in terms of Slovan standards. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Slovan does not start in the KHL next season, the situation appears to be really desperate.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Brust reportedly leaving for Switzerland? Looks like Slovan is collapsing before our eyes and there might only be 26 teams in the KHL in the upcoming season after all. :help: This could really also be about the new Slovan general manager, a former DJ – maybe he concluded it makes no sense for Slovan to continue in the KHL if they're unable to pay salaries to the players.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Or he simply realized an obvious fact that it`s unnecessary luxury for a budget team to have 2 starting goalies. The way Slovan were constructing their roster during Brust`s career there just realy made no sense.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kaspar is great signing obviously, Stepanek is cheap enough to be a backup at this point I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

HockeyBeherit

Jun 17, 2017
Helsinki Area
It would absolutely suck big hairy stinky balls if Slovan had to leave the KHL. Slovan is one of the teams I'd most like to see in their hometown. Is there any reliable source, whether they are folding it up, or they are just cheaping it up?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It would absolutely suck big hairy stinky balls if Slovan had to leave the KHL. Slovan is one of the teams I'd most like to see in their hometown. Is there any reliable source, whether they are folding it up, or they are just cheaping it up?

They are not going to fold.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
of course we as fans would appreciate to have the complete roster signed already in march and known they are getting paid the saison..
but in can understand the current situation. other as in previous saisons obvious the new general manager (started 1.july) looks more to the financial possibilities, which delays the signings..
i can imagine the negotiations are tough in terms to get "cheaper" contracts.....
and to be honest- i think there are still enough good players available without contracts, who then sooner or later accepting offers...
so it wont be too late-no fear-slovan will have at end enough players at a good level...
i onyl dont understand that slovan didnt keep more of the young players from last season-as tehy did a good job- at least to be available to add the roster...
today was signed michal replik-so we see a increase in quality palyers after kaspar´s signing...

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
The most popular player by far in previous two seasons, Barry Brust, leaving (his statement below). Michal Řepík coming in exchange from Fribourg.

"It is with a broken heart that I say goodbye to Bratislava. I cannot communicate to the fans enough what a pleasure it was to play and compete for you. You the fans made it the most amazing place to play. The love and support you showed me through good and bad is something I will forever cherish. You made Bratislava my home. You made hockey just that much more fun to play with your enthusiasm and support. Unfortunately certain people didn't want me back so it is time for me to move on. I wish the best of luck to my now former teammates, and the medical and equipment staff."

https://youtu.be/m5vl08km-EE?t=3m57s

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It seems, that the words about "We will have a full and quality team before the season" are now just in terms of theory.

Week after week we can read, how unsatisfied Milos Riha is.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slovan signed Marek Mazanec, goalie with some NHL experience. WTF? :naughty:

They had Janus, Stepanek and they signed another goalie? Why? There are still big holes between forwards and they could also use quality guy for Defense. And no, Tomas Cerny isnt answer to this. Btw, happy birthday Tomas.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Because Janus is very weak, which has been seen by everyone so far in the pre-season, and he will most likely go to Bystrica. Even though I really doubt he will be the first choice there either (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2718). And making Štěpánek to start in some 50 games and expect him to make balanced performances with our terrible defence would be ridiculous. Now we have two quality, leveled goalies, but need at least 2 D and 3 F.
And yea, that 60kg defenseman coming from the Czech 3rd league must be some kind of a joke. :D I hope he is going to play for our U20 only.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Another annual worry, unresolved: Slovan's downloadable calendar of games for the upcoming season still isn't published on their webpage, with 4 days before season start, although the KHL's schedule has already been published for a few weeks now:

http://www.hcslovan.sk/sk/kalendar-na-stiahnutie
http://en.khl.ru/calendar

Last year, I think Slovan only woke up in late September or October to publish the downloadable calendar? Sigh... :shakehead :help:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Another annual worry, unresolved: Slovan's downloadable calendar of games for the upcoming season still isn't published on their webpage, with 4 days before season start, although the KHL's schedule has already been published for a few weeks now:

http://www.hcslovan.sk/sk/kalendar-na-stiahnutie
http://en.khl.ru/calendar

Last year, I think Slovan only woke up in late September or October to publish the downloadable calendar? Sigh... :shakehead :help:

You are crying on wrong place. You should contact the Admin of their website.
Personally, i dont care about this. There are bigger issues.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Harh harh harh harh harh! :D:D:D What a delightful flub by KHL.ru. I've made a screenshot of this – it's a keep.

The calendar is essential, Alko. You may prefer to be disorganized in your life, but I'm not. ;) Don't think I didn't write to Slovan several times last year when they also fell asleep. I never got a reply, and it took several weeks into the season before the calendar was published.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Just so we're clear, it's not about Apple's calendar – anyone who values their sanity must stay away from Apple's software, even though their hardware is phenomenal. ;) I use Google's Calendar, which is anything but ideal, but not quite as inept as Apple's calendar.

Anyway, Slovan has now published the calendar for the new season, but in a disappointing fashion. After importing it, the games only show up on the various game days, but without the puckdrop times. :( Ah, well, I suppose I can edit the 56 events manually to enter the starting times, but last year, game times were included as well. Anyway, it's a good thing that this time, we didn't have to wait for the calendar for quite as long as last year. (Perhaps someone from Slovan is reading these HFBoards?) ;)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
... to be more precise, they have entered every game in the calendar as an "all-day event", which makes no sense. :shakehead I'm now manually editing the first few games of the season.

Anyway, looking forward to Slovan's opening game of the season tonight. My only hope is it's not gonna be SKA – Slovan 12:0 like a couple of years ago. :( If it's gonna be just 6-0 or 7-1, that's gonna be rather comforting, given the near-collapse circumstances.

I mean, if Banská Bystrica (although the Slovak League champion) can defeat Slovan 5-2 in the final pre-season game, that tells you something about what to expect this season. :help: It's gonna be a "race to the bottom" this season, in all likelihood, and if this was the NHL, "draft lottery team" would be the proper term for Slovan as we start out of the gate.

If Slovan doesn't finish dead-last in the KHL this season, I guess that's gonna be some success. Let's hope Slovan can just cling on to the KHL without embarrassing itself too much; let's hope that the new GM will stabilize the financial situation so that, perhaps, for future seasons, a more competitive, stable roster (with more Slovaks on it) can be built.

Right now, we are last season's Riga (or perhaps worse), so I suspect some parts of this season are going to be gruesome to watch, and it may well start tonight (where else if not on the champion's ice?). :amazed:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Anyway, looking forward to Slovan's opening game of the season tonight. My only hope is it's not gonna be SKA – Slovan 12:0 like a couple of years ago. :( If it's gonna be just 6-0 or 7-1, that's gonna be rather comforting, given the near-collapse circumstances.

Did you make your bet? 7:1 was the final result. Dont saw the game. Was it so clear?

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Did you make your bet? 7:1 was the final result. Dont saw the game. Was it so clear?
No, it wasn't. The performance was actually quite good. It might have been 3-2 very easily in the middle of the 3rd period. On the contrary, Slovan conceded that 4-1 goal and the rest was just result of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad