Slovakia 2006 Preliminary Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

12# Peter Bondra said:
He cant even if he wanted. Too late now.
Just because he's not on the preliminary list? That seems crazy to me,what's the difference anyway at this point in time? The olympics guidelines are way too stringent to me.What difference would it really make if a guy decided even the day before the final rosters were named that he wanted to play anyway?

Stupid rule IMO.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
we still look like we could have something competitive. A last minute win here or there, and hey we could be sitting pretty.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
World Cup aside, I am excited to see how Slovakia can fare with the rest of the world. in 2002 they were screwed, Peter Stastny had to mix and match, I think one game they only dresses 14 players

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
cyclops said:
Just because he's not on the preliminary list? That seems crazy to me,what's the difference anyway at this point in time? The olympics guidelines are way too stringent to me.What difference would it really make if a guy decided even the day before the final rosters were named that he wanted to play anyway?

Stupid rule IMO.

I agree, but that's why GMs and coaches were allowed to name as many players as they want, so it actually doesn't make any difference. Still, Palffy should have been on the list anyway.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
cyclops said:

Stupid rule IMO.
We once agree on something ;). I find it weird too.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:
World Cup aside, I am excited to see how Slovakia can fare with the rest of the world. in 2002 they were screwed, Peter Stastny had to mix and match, I think one game they only dresses 14 players
Yeah, against Austria in 2002 in the Olympic Games in the last game of the round robin we played with 3 forward lines and 2 D pairs. The WHOLE game.

No wonder we lost 2-3.

espo*

TORRUS said:
I agree, but that's why GMs and coaches were allowed to name as many players as they want, so it actually doesn't make any difference. Still, Palffy should have been on the list anyway.
indeed,they should've put him on just in case.my bet is,as the games and deadline announcing day got closer.........................the itch for pallfy to play would start,especially if his penguins team is 8-20 or somehting ridiculous at that point of the nhl season.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
cyclops said:
indeed,they should've put him on just in case.my bet is,as the games and deadline announcing day got closer.........................the itch for pallfy to play would start,especially if his penguins team is 8-20 or somehting ridiculous at that point of the nhl season.
Too late now for him. He is good but during the last year he has been weird about playing for our country so maybe its better he wont play after all.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
is Palffy's reason basically that he's lazy, or does he genuinely believe it? i don't know much about his attitude and personality...

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
arrbez said:
is Palffy's reason basically that he's lazy, or does he genuinely believe it? i don't know much about his attitude and personality...

I think he just doesnt want to play anymore for our country, thats all. Dont know why though :dunno: .

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
SensGuy said:
Meszaros' emergence on the blueline has to be great news for Slovakia. If he doesn't make the team, I'd be very surprised.

Me too. With Mezei out injured for the season, if Meszaros doesnt make it, I will be VERY, VERY sad.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hope Budaj gets a shot. It would serve Slovakia well if they use the goalie with the most promise (was once Lasak and Stana now it is Budaj) and hopefully he can grow and get some experience for them

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I hope Budaj gets a shot. It would serve Slovakia well if they use the goalie with the most promise (was once Lasak and Stana now it is Budaj) and hopefully he can grow and get some experience for them

Hopefully.

But the coaches here love Lasak and will probably play him, which is sad.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
12# Peter Bondra said:
Me too. With Mezei out injured for the season, if Meszaros doesnt make it, I will be VERY, VERY sad.
The Slovakia coach was at the Ottawa game tonight to see Meszaros and he didn't disappoint. He played 19:52, recorded an assist and one shot on goal.

ILuvLA

Jul 16, 2004
Lost in LA
12# Peter Bondra said:
I think he just doesnt want to play anymore for our country, thats all. Dont know why though :dunno: .
So Zigo doesn't want to play because who knows why?? I saw him in Austria against Canada in the World Championships in the quarterfinals. As far as I can tell, it's Slovakia's loss as he's still looking pretty good!

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
ILuvLA said:
So Zigo doesn't want to play because who knows why?? I saw him in Austria against Canada in the World Championships in the quarterfinals. As far as I can tell, it's Slovakia's loss as he's still looking pretty good!
I know he's a loss to our team.

We will once learn why he didnt want to play anymore for us.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Gardolo said:
Hey, I want to know the opinion of some guy from SVK (moderator,for ex.), what is your final roster of 23 players?

There hasnt been one decided yet. Will be on Thursday though.

Default101

here's my predictions
Goalies (6):
ON TEAM
Ján Lašák (HC Moeller Pardubice – ČR),
Peter Budaj (Colorado Avalanche – NHL),
Jaroslav Halák (Montreal Canadiens/Hamilton – NHL/AHL),

ON THE OUTSIDE
Rastislav Staňa (Södertälje SK – Å véd.),
Karol Križan (MoDo Hockey Alfredshem - Švéd.),
Ján Laco (HC Košice).

Defensemen (18):
ON THE TEAM
Zdeno Chára (Ottawa Senators – NHL),
Andrej Meszároš (Ottawa Senators – NHL),
Ľubomír ViÅ¡ňovský (Los Angeles Kings – NHL),

POSSIBLE PICKS
Martin Štrbák (CSKA Moskva – Rus.),
Ivan Majeský (Washington Capitals – NHL),
Branislav Mezei (Florida Panthers – NHL),
Ladislav Čierny (Severstaľ Čerepovec – Rus.),
Radoslav Suchý (Columbus Blue Jackets – NHL),
Jaroslav Obšut (Lulea HF Bears – Švéd.),
Richard Stehlík (HC Sparta Praha – ČR),
Milan Jurčina (Boston Bruins - NHL),
Peter Smrek (Mora IK – Švéd.),
Tomáš Malec (Binghamton Senators – AHL),
Kristián Kudroč (SaiPa Lappeenranta – Fín.),

ON THE OUTSIDE
René Vydarený (HC České Budějovice – ČR),
Tomáš Starosta (Neftechimik Nižnekamsk – Rus.),
Dušan Milo (HKm Nitra),
Dominik Graňák (HC Slavia Praha – ČR).

Forwards (27):
ON THE TEAM
Marián Gáborík (Minnesota Wild – NHL),
Richard Zedník (Montreal Canadiens – NHL),
Jozef Stümpel (Florida Panthers – NHL),
Miroslav Šatan (New York Islanders – NHL),
Pavol Demitra (Los Angeles Kings – NHL),
Ladislav Nagy (Phoenix Coyotes – NHL),
Marcel Hossa (New York Rangers – NHL),
Marián Hossa (Atlanta Thrashers – NHL),
Michal Handzuš (Philadelphia Flyers – NHL),
Marek Svatoš (Colorado Avalanche – NHL),
Peter Bondra (Atlanta Thrashers – NHL),
Róbert Petrovický (Zürich SC Lions – Švaj.),
Ronald Petrovický (Atlanta Thrashers – NHL),

ON THE OUTSIDE

Branko Radivojevič (Philadelphia Flyers – NHL),
Miroslav Zálešák (Södertälje SK – Švéd.),
Juraj Kolník (Florida Panthers – NHL),
Tomáš Surový (Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins – AHL),
Radovan Somík (Severstaľ Čerepovec – Rus.),
Vladimír Országh (Lulea HF Bears – Švéd.),
ĽuboÅ¡ Bartečko (Lulea HC Bears – Å véd.),
Jiří Bicek (Leksands IF – Å véd.),
Martin Cibák (Tampa Bay Lightning – NHL),
Rastislav Pavlikovský (MoDo Hockey Alfredshem – Švéd.),
Andrej Podkonický (HC Bílí Tygři Liberec . ČR),
Tomáš Chrenko (HKm Nitra),
Richard Kapuš (Metallurg Novokuzneck – Rus.),
Martin Bartek (Matallurg Novokuzneck – Rus.).

Their Strongest link seems to be at forward, they'd need (my guess is Budaj) to play amazing for them to have any shot at an upset

Henne

Jun 23, 2005
I think this is the suprise team in Torino. Great forwards.

As has been said goaltending is the key. The third defensive pairing looks to be a problem also. That said, I wouldn't be suprised if they got a medal. At the very least they should be entertaining.

Claypool_*

Once Slovakia gets a legitimate NHL superstar goalie, they'll be scary in international tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad