Slovakia: Slovak youth hockey thread (NT´s, home leagues, CHL, the draft etc.) part II

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Martin Fehervary has been named the captain of Oskarshamn. He is one of the youngest players to be named the captain of an Allsvenskan team and definitely the youngest foreigner.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What the hell has happened to Matej Tomek?

He was looking like such a stud, UND even recruited him out of NAHL (they rarely recruit out of that level). Then just before his freshman year UND changes coaches, new coach dislikes him he plays just 2 games in 2 years, albeit does do fairly well at WJC in a few games last year. Now struggling to refind game in USHL this year as a 20 year old, a really bad sign. He was really naturally gifted, it seems to me that coaching change at UND probably ended his NHL hopes, at least until after a lengthy European stint to re-assert himself. It's too bad.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, it's very disappointing. He was quite unlucky, first with the injury and then last season at UND. It's hard to believe that he was once considered one of the top goalies in his draft year...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What the hell has happened to Matej Tomek?

He was looking like such a stud, UND even recruited him out of NAHL (they rarely recruit out of that level). Then just before his freshman year UND changes coaches, new coach dislikes him he plays just 2 games in 2 years, albeit does do fairly well at WJC in a few games last year. Now struggling to refind game in USHL this year as a 20 year old, a really bad sign. He was really naturally gifted, it seems to me that coaching change at UND probably ended his NHL hopes, at least until after a lengthy European stint to re-assert himself. It's too bad.

Injuries. They hold him for one season. In very crucial age. But he is a goalie. He has time.
"Now struggling to refind game in USHL" - i dont think so. We dont know, how he really plays, hardly one of us even saw his game in USHL. His numbers arent stellar, but that could mean not much. Ok, the second goalie has very good numbers. I get it. But for example, in the last game he was the 3. star of the game. Even he received 3 goals from 28 shots.

Lets wait another 3-4 years. Even if he makes a good Europe career.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
2 goals and an assist for Kristian Pospisil in last night's ECHL game. Hopefully as alko mentioned earlier he gets a call up to the AHL sometimes this season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
2 goals and an assist for Kristian Pospisil in last night's ECHL game. Hopefully as alko mentioned earlier he gets a call up to the AHL sometimes this season.

Looks like Pospisil is signed with the Marlies. That's unfortunate as they have one of the deepest forward lineups in the AHL. Probably won't be this year he would get a chance.

EDIT: Also thanks guys I didn't realize Tomek had gotten hurt at one point. I thought it was just the new UND coach that hated him. Would really like to see him turn it up in the USHL this year though. If he manages to get to a .910-.920 range he would likely be able to find a less deep college team to continue his career if he wanted to finish his college degree. But for his career it might be time to head back to Europe, at least for 3-5 years as the NA minor leagues are incredibly tough to go through for non-NHL contracted players unless Philly decides to give him a contract.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
That's disappointing to hear about Pospisil.

Yeah, perhaps Tomek could follow in Godla's footsteps and head to Finland.

The u17 team will play against Switzerland, Russia and US next week at the 4 Nations u17 tournament:

Goalies
Dominik AntalaĽ09. 05. 2001HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Dávid BorákĽ24. 04. 2001MHKM Skalica
D-men
Michal BeňoĽ15. 11. 2001HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Michal GanzĽ27. 03. 2001HC '05 Banská Bystrica
Andrej GolianĽ07. 03. 2001HKM Zvolen
Viktor HatinaP15. 11. 2001Culver Military Academy (USA)
Matúš HlaváčĽ11. 07. 2001HC Olomouc (ČR)
Damian HudíkP02. 07. 2001MŠK Púchov
Dávid MudrákP13. 02. 2001HKM Zvolen
Forwards
Dalibor ĎurišP01. 02. 2001HKM Zvolen
Martin GergelĽ15. 08. 2001MMHK Nitra
Simon JellúšĽ18. 01. 2001Lulea Hockey (Švéd.)
Dominik JendekĽ25. 04. 2001HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Adam JevošĽ31. 01. 2001HK ŠKP Poprad
Adam KormúthĽ05. 05. 2001New Jersey Colonials (USA)
Alex František KupkaP13. 12. 2001Malmö Redhawks (Švéd.)
Peter LobodowskiĽ17. 05. 2001Piráti Chomutov (ČR)
Matej PisarovičĽ10. 01. 2001HC '05 Banská Bystrica
Dominik SojkaĽ16. 02. 2001HC '05 Banská Bystrica
Andrej ŠkultétyĽ26. 01. 2001HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Adrián ValiguraĽ02. 03. 2001HK ŠKP Poprad
Martin VolkoĽ19. 07. 2001Nyköpings HF (Švéd.)
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

By the way,does anyone know what's up with Maxim Cajkovic? Is he injured? It's been a while since he played a game for Malmo u20.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Cajkovic played for Malmo u18 yesterday, so it appears he is okay.

Slovak players in last night's NA junior/NCAA games

OHL
Studenic 1G
Ruzicka 1G (EN)

WHL
Roman 2A
Fafrak 3G

QMJHL
Hrehorcak 1G

NCAA
Hrenak 34/35

USHL
Valach 1G + 1A
Lacka 2A
Bucek 1G + 2a
Tomek 27/30

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Adam Liska scored a goal and added 3 assists last night. Hrehorcak with 2 assists, he now has 5 points in the last three games. Too bad that he started being productive this later before the WJC, he might have gotten an invite for the WJC camp if it came earlier.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Overall, this season in North America is looking very good from Slovak point of view. And also, when you consider, that most of the guys could play also in next season. There is something to follow.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, it's much more entertaining to follow than recent seasons.

It might also be because guys like Reway, Cehlarik and Jaros went the Europe route instead of the NA juniors route. But even this season, Fehervary is also in Sweden.

I think the last time that we came anywhere close to this is back when the 1991 born guys played in juniors and even then there was not as much hope. While not many of the players we follow here might make it to the NHL, they could at least make it in European leagues. There is much more depth than what we are used to.

It's good to see Fafrak get the hattrick, hopefully it will help him start getting points more regularly. Liska seems to be in his best shape yet this season. Hrehorcak has also awakened.

Next year's WJC team should be really good and it would be nice to see them turn it into a success that they just barely missed in game against Russia at the home u18 IHWC.

But in the end, what matters most for Slovak hockey is that as many of them as possible become good players in top leagues.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Next year's WJC team should be really good and it would be nice to see them turn it into a success that they just barely missed in game against Russia at the home u18 IHWC.

Someone here mentioned, that this team should be better as the next team. Because you will have now the best of class 99 with the class 98. They should be in their peak. Next season it is only about class 99.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Haha, I think that the someone was me, lol.

But I dunno, Hrenak, Bodak, Studenic and Bucek will be the big losses next year.

On the other hand in goal, Ovecka might continue to get better. Fehervary, Ivan, Ruzicka, Roman and Liska will all be a year older. Hrehorcak and Fafrak should start appearing on the scoresheet more often in their 2nd overseas seasons. Then there are Krivosik and Balaz in Europe. I think offense could be potentially more stacked as this year.

Goaltending is about the same, I think.

Deffense might be a bit weaker. It will be ineteresting to see whether Knazko might find his way into the team next year.

But these things are hard to predict. The 2014 WJC team was better on paper than the 2015 WJC team, still it was the 2015 team that medaled.

Also I think that chances are that the Orange team won't be here next season and let's see what kind of impact that will have on the player selection.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Melcher's whole season has been kinda strange. He started off playing for the u18 team at Ivan Hlinka, then went to NA and came back home in a few months.

The explanation might sound a bit cryptic but chances are that they are just not using them for this particular tourney.

It will be interesting to see the results from the tourney, given the opponents and the fact that quite a few of the 2001 players (and I assume Knazko too) will be with the u18 team instead.

Adam Huska has been named HEA deffensive player of the week: UConn's Huska Tabbed HEA Defensive Player of the Week

Hockey East Weekly Release

STORRS, Conn. - UConn sophomore goaltender Adam Huska (Zvolen, Slovakia) was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on Monday after helping guide the Huskies to home wins over UMass and No. 16 nationally ranked Colgate last week.

Huska wins the weekly honor for the first time this season and the second time for his career. He finished last week's slate posting a 1.57 goals against average with a .947 save percentage. In Tuesday's 8-2 win over UMass, Huska stopped 26 shots while allowing just a goal before giving way to back-up Bradley Stone late in the lopsided win. On Friday, the sophomore netminder turned away 28 shots to guide the Huskies to a 4-2 upset of the ranked Raiders to end the first half of the season.

On the year, Huska has eight wins and sports a 2.57 goals against with a .912 save percentage over 21 games. He ranks fifth in Hockey East in goals against average and sixth in save percentage while his eight wins has him fourth among league leaders.

Huska and the Huskies will be off until their December 30 trip to Boston College to kick-start the second half of the season.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I think this is the USNTDP team, so very strong opponent and there are several players who will play with u18 team missing on Slovak roster, but still...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Martin Pospisil with a goal and an assist in the USHL last night. But also 14 penalty minutes, he is now at 99 penalty minutes for the season.

Matej Tomek with 28 saves/29 shots.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->