Slitty's Annual Most Ready RSL Prospects (with commentary)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Barring atrade, Khomitsky would almost have to start at Iowa which he may not be willing to do. There are 6 d-men in Dallas with one way deals and Grossman is almost promised a spot and Fistric and Niskanen are close. My guess is that he stays in Russia and if the team decides to rebuild he could be over in ayear
What do you think his chances of making the NHL are given Dallas' current defensive situation now that he has surprised us all by making committing himself to North America for next season?

Didnt Lisin already do this in 2004-5 and 2005-6? One of those being the lockout season and he kept his spot despite all the NHLers being recruited. 100+ games in the RSL.

I heard that his coach had a stroppy attitude about Lisin leaving for North America and told him he would have to start at the bottom again. Sounds like a personal grudge to me, surprising considering how much Lisin loves playing for Ak-Bars.

NHL ready? Not really. He's good enough to have a great year in the AHL though. Considering Phoenix's roster gutting, it wouldnt be a shock to see Lisin make the team next season. I think he just needs one season on a genuine scoring line, either in the AHL or RSL. I wish he would go to the AHL because he'll get a top line role there and if he scores 15 goals by Christmas he'd be called up pronto. He wont get a scoring role in the RSL and the NHL will be further away. I understand your list is not based on potential as much as being NHL ready.
The majority of Lisin's RSL games were in a very limited role, he never truly stood nor achieved anything noteworthy at the RSL level. As for the coach's attitude - Ak Bars was actually extremely happy to have him back. Upon his return he actually got a rather big shot both in the RSL and at the Cup of European Champions. And while Lisin did buzz around the ice due to his speed and seem very active, much like in Phoenix, he missed far too many chances to be utilized as a scorer. As a result of there being many more suitable 3rd and 4th line players in Kazan, there was no real need for Lisin and he was thus benched. To my knowledge even if there was any grudge, it did not play into Lisin's failure to make an impact in the RSL last season. Regardless, I think that we can agree that Lisin is not NHL ready at the present moment and as a consequence does not belong on my list. Hopefully he makes some strides with Khimik this season. :)

fogducker

Jul 26, 2006
What do you think his chances of making the NHL are given Dallas' current defensive situation now that he has surprised us all by making committing himself to North America for next season?

The majority of Lisin's RSL games were in a very limited role, he never truly stood nor achieved anything noteworthy at the RSL level. As for the coach's attitude - Ak Bars was actually extremely happy to have him back. Upon his return he actually got a rather big shot both in the RSL and at the Cup of European Champions. And while Lisin did buzz around the ice due to his speed and seem very active, much like in Phoenix, he missed far too many chances to be utilized as a scorer. As a result of there being many more suitable 3rd and 4th line players in Kazan, there was no real need for Lisin and he was thus benched. To my knowledge even if there was any grudge, it did not play into Lisin's failure to make an impact in the RSL last season. Regardless, I think that we can agree that Lisin is not NHL ready at the present moment and as a consequence does not belong on my list. Hopefully he makes some strides with Khimik this season. :)

Hey slitty do you know anything about Kablukov the Russian that the Canucks drafted this year?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Slitty,

Thanks for all your hard work and insight. Those of us in Columbus would love to know if there any chance Mozyakin will come over?

I know he always said he wanted to stay in Russia, and is a big star there, but I know he had some contract issues this past season, and I was just wondering if that may have chaneged his desire to say in Russia.
He is plenty comfortable in his present situation, so Columbus would have to offer some sort of incentive to lure him over. I am actually not aware of any serious attempts on the part of the Blue Jackets to sign him in the past nor the present. When was the last time he was offered a contract? Was anything the least bit worthy of his consideration such as a one-way deal with the maximum entry level salary?

Slitty-the stars took Korostin and then passed on Mayorov when they could have taken him. Most had Mayorov as the higher rated prospect. You thoughts please-was this another Stars draft blunder thanks in advance
Personally, I more familiar with Korostin than I am with Mayorov, and putting the latter aside altogether, Korostin was an excellent pick by the Stars. In general, Korostin is considered a better prospect than Mayorov in Russia. I also don't quite share the same optimism the ISS had about Mayorov and fear that he may end up getting lost amidst Ak Bars' depth. Conversly, Korostin seems to have an immediate future with Dinamo and is in a great position to make developmental strides in the RSL.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Slitty, great job. I hate to be a beggar for information, but I was hoping you could drop a few lines on Kulyash for the Predators.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
if I were to list another round of honourable mentions, he may very well not have been among them. I would say that Kirill Lyamin, Dmitry Vorobiev, Nikita Nikitin, and a few other unmentioned young defensemen are currently better than him.

Hey Slitty

Every time Leafs scouts return from scouting Vorobiev they always mention two things .. His Conditioning is a concern with the young Russian defender, and they also say he hasn't really show a commitment to wanting to come over to the NHL and prefers the Russian culture and lifestyle and is paid well to remain in the RSL..

Could you comment on this if you have anymore information on condition or his interest to try the NHL ..

Thanks ..

Last edited:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks for the link to the article, very good read.
What do you think the chances are of Zinoviev crossing the pond in the next few years?
Him becoming a UFA and no longer being restricted to the entry level system should make his appearance in the NHL more realistic.

Do you think Grebs will finally establish himself as top 4 quality D-man in the NHL in a near future? To what NHL d-man could compare him today with the progression he's been having in RSL this year?
As I mentioned, he could very well become a top-4 defenseman if he puts his mind to it, and we shall soon find out if that is going to be the case. As for a comparisson, something along the lines of Fedor Tyutin without the hipcheck comes to mind.

Bam Beet*

Slitty, could you tell me a little bit about Parshin. How he's doing, and what his chances of coming to the NHL are?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Hey slitty do you know anything about Kablukov the Russian that the Canucks drafted this year?
He isn't exactly a star on Russia-88 and won't dazzle you with offensive skills. If he ever makes the NHL it will be because he fills out his frame and becomes a decent defensive center.

For me, Nikolai Kulemin reminds me of an Erik Cole clone.
What do think?
Thanks for any replies! :D
That's an interesting comparisson.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Slitty, great job. I hate to be a beggar for information, but I was hoping you could drop a few lines on Kulyash for the Predators.
He had a very poor season during the course of which he suffered several concussions. He also had a falling out with Dinamo and spent a lot of time on the bench, and even the farm team. While he still has NHL potential, now would not be the best time to try to realize it as he has some form to regain.

Every time Leafs scouts return from scouting Vorobiev they always mention two things .. His Conditioning is a concern with the young Russian defender, and they also say he hasn't really show a commitment to wanting to come over to the NHL and prefers the Russian culture and lifestyle and is paid well to remain in the RSL..
Could you comment on this if you have anymore information on condition or his interest to try the NHL ..
I think he more than anything retains the reputation of being in poor condition that he picked up when he was drafted rather than conditioning actually being a problem. I am also of the opinion that his interest to try the NHL is a moot point. That is, even if he had the will to play in North America, I doubt that he could make a significant impact in the NHL at this point in time.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Slitty, could you tell me a little bit about Parshin. How he's doing, and what his chances of coming to the NHL are?
All in all, Parshin had a very good RSL season. Prior to it, many had given up hope on him due his first three RSL seasons being quite poor, but Bykov's successful experiment of creating CSKA's kid line of Shirokov-Nikulin-Parshin catapulted Denis' career back on track. The only problem is that while the trio was successul as a unit, none of its members (excluding Shirokov to some extent) really dominated individually, and had a tremendously hard time putting up points when Nikulin was sidelined with injury and the even younger Kablukov had to play in his stead. Parshin's personal weakspot is that he tends to be much less effective when faced with tight physical checking, even at the RSL level, which is not too surprising considering his modest size. As far as I know he will remain in the RSL next season, and until he elevates his games another level on top of the progress he made last season, that really is the best place for him.

fogducker

Jul 26, 2006
He isn't exactly a star on Russia-88 and won't dazzle you with offensive skills. If he ever makes the NHL it will be because he fills out his frame and becomes a decent defensive center.

That's an interesting comparisson.

hey Slitty could Kablukov be a Artem Chubarov. Does he have that potential?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Hey Slitty.

What can of potential does Dmitri Vorobiev possess, and what kind of player could Vorobiev develop into, if he reaches his potential?

fred88

Jul 19, 2007
what do you think of Kiril Koltsov,if a have a chance to come to Vancouver this year?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
hey Slitty could Kablukov be a Artem Chubarov. Does he have that potential?
I wouldn't necessarily count on it, but I suppose its within the realm of possibility that reaches the level of the younger Chubarov we saw with the Canucks. As for being comparable to the Chubarov of today, but I really don't think so.

what do you think of Kiril Koltsov,if a have a chance to come to Vancouver this year?
Definitely not for this comming season.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Hey Slitty,

There has been a lot of talk on the Islanders boards about Igor Volkov. Last year you said his upside could be a very good bottom-6. Has that changed based on his progress this year?

Is there any chance he'd be able to step into a 2nd line role in the NHL now, especially with the offensively-depleted Islanders?

Thanks!

Geese_Howard*

Hey slits

what have you heard about Dmitri Vorobiev? He's now in the top 5 for leafs prospects and I know nothing of him, I hear he has no intentions on coming over the NHL, whats your analysis on him and his talents?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Hey Slitty,

There has been a lot of talk on the Islanders boards about Igor Volkov. Last year you said his upside could be a very good bottom-6. Has that changed based on his progress this year?

Is there any chance he'd be able to step into a 2nd line role in the NHL now, especially with the offensively-depleted Islanders?

Thanks!
Wow, super old thread with an expired link! Here is my little article in its archived location: http://www.rushockey.com/index.php?l=eng&t=1&s=1&st=210 As for Volkov, despite the impressive RSL playoff numbers this season, he isn't quite the player for 2nd line NHL duty. If you don't mind, I'll reply with something I posted on the Islanders board a couple weeks ago:
It should be noted that Volkov achieved those playoff numbers while playing on Salavat Yulaev's third line. On the whole, he is one of the better third liners in Russia, and his combination of strength on the puck plus a potent shot typically earn him a very respectable 20-30 points per season. I would say that he could very well be a serviceable checking line winger in the NHL if the Islanders manage to lure him over.

Hey slits

what have you heard about Dmitri Vorobiev? He's now in the top 5 for leafs prospects and I know nothing of him, I hear he has no intentions on coming over the NHL, whats your analysis on him and his talents?
The very basics on Vorobiev is that he is a big defenseman with a booming shot that makes him quite the force on the powerplay. The big complaint about him in the past was that he wasn't always able or interested in coping with his defensive responsibilities - but he is making steady improvements in that regard. Apart from that, I'll start working on the 2008 version of my annual list fairly soon, and with the progress he's made - Vorobiev is sure to be on it. It will be especially interesting to see what he can do on the smaller North American ice surface during the World Championships as I think that he is quite well suited for it.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Hey Slitty,

Since you brought this up can you tell us Dallas fans about Sergei Kukushin's season?

Also do you think a lot of other Russian players are going to begin taking the route Korostin did and coming over to play junior hockey in order to avoid the transfer mess?

Your take on both players would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Do you you whether Korneev has any intentions of coming over to North America and how good is he really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad