Slitty's Annual Most Ready RSL Prospects (with commentary)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Thanks and its always great to hear your thoughts on the RSL players.

I'm interested in hearing your (and anyone else's too) thoughts on Slava Buravchikov. When is he planning on coming over and what do you think of his game?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Misharin is bad D-man. Yes I know that he played for NT, but he wasn't any good. Very slow.

Buravchikov wasn't noticeble this year, but at WJC he was good.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
What do you think of Blues prospect Nikita Nikitin?
He is a rather promising young defenseman whose steady progress has already made him capable of squeezing his way onto most top pairings in the RSL as the #2 purely defensive guy. He is, however, still rough around the edges and would most likely not cut it in the NHL at the present moment. I would expect him to make my list of most ready RSL prospects in some capacity within a season or two.

No Lisin?
Being able to crack an RSL lineup on a consistent basis is, in my eyes, quite a fundamental prerequisite to being considered NHL ready. Do you think him NHL ready based on his seventeen games with Phoenix last season?

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Just out of curiosity, was Valentenko overlooked because he's already agreed to come over, or is he just legitimately unworthy of making the list?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
What do you have on Artem Anisimov? I was shocked not to see him on that list. And I saw Igor Volkov as an honourable mention, what do you think his NHL upside could be?

-- George.
You must understand that Anisimov was merely a fourth liner at the RSL level for the vast majority of the season. Only towards the end of the regular season as well as the playoffs did he step it up and begin to make more of a contribution to his team. Am I prepared to say that he is NHL ready on account of this last stretch? No, not really. It was a big step in his development, but even then, he was overshadowed a number of fellow NHL prospects on Lokomotiv. He is one of the more promising prospects in Russia, but not quite ready for the NHL yet.

As for Volkov, it was hard to decide between him and Mirnov for the last spot in my top twenty. He is strong on the puck, has decent offensive instincts, is very responsible defensively, and versatile enough to play center or wing. All in all, he could be a very good bottom-6 player.

Just out of curiosity, was Valentenko overlooked because he's already agreed to come over, or is he just legitimately unworthy of making the list?
I did not overlook Valentenko on account of him having agreed to come over. In fact, if I were to list another round of honourable mentions, he may very well not have been among them. I would say that Kirill Lyamin, Dmitry Vorobiev, Nikita Nikitin, and a few other unmentioned young defensemen are currently better than him.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Being able to crack an RSL lineup on a consistent basis is, in my eyes, quite a fundamental prerequisite to being considered NHL ready. Do you think him NHL ready based on his seventeen games with Phoenix last season?

Didnt Lisin already do this in 2004-5 and 2005-6? One of those being the lockout season and he kept his spot despite all the NHLers being recruited. 100+ games in the RSL.

I heard that his coach had a stroppy attitude about Lisin leaving for North America and told him he would have to start at the bottom again. Sounds like a personal grudge to me, surprising considering how much Lisin loves playing for Ak-Bars.

NHL ready? Not really. He's good enough to have a great year in the AHL though. Considering Phoenix's roster gutting, it wouldnt be a shock to see Lisin make the team next season. I think he just needs one season on a genuine scoring line, either in the AHL or RSL. I wish he would go to the AHL because he'll get a top line role there and if he scores 15 goals by Christmas he'd be called up pronto. He wont get a scoring role in the RSL and the NHL will be further away. I understand your list is not based on potential as much as being NHL ready.

Last edited:

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Hm, perhaps something along the lines of Ales Hemsky.

Have you by any chance heard anything concerning such a possibility on the North American end? Khomitsky's plans for next season are a little murky to me.

Barring atrade, Khomitsky would almost have to start at Iowa which he may not be willing to do. There are 6 d-men in Dallas with one way deals and Grossman is almost promised a spot and Fistric and Niskanen are close. My guess is that he stays in Russia and if the team decides to rebuild he could be over in ayear

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
You must understand that Anisimov was merely a fourth liner at the RSL level for the vast majority of the season. Only towards the end of the regular season as well as the playoffs did he step it up and begin to make more of a contribution to his team. Am I prepared to say that he is NHL ready on account of this last stretch? No, not really. It was a big step in his development, but even then, he was overshadowed a number of fellow NHL prospects on Lokomotiv. He is one of the more promising prospects in Russia, but not quite ready for the NHL yet.

As for Volkov, it was hard to decide between him and Mirnov for the last spot in my top twenty. He is strong on the puck, has decent offensive instincts, is very responsible defensively, and versatile enough to play center or wing. All in all, he could be a very good bottom-6 player.

Большое спасибо за ответ. Болельщики Рейнджэрс почему-то считают что Анисимов готов играть на первой линии. :)

-- George.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Большое спасибо за ответ. Болельщики Рейнджэрс почему-то считают что Анисимов готов играть на первой линии. :)

-- George.

:amazed:

That's a HUGE overrating if true.))))))

He was good in PO, but he's far from Locomotiv 1st line, let alone Rangers.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I've never watched RSL games but from what I read and heard is that Kulemin is one of the best young players in the RSL. You have him listed as a 2nd or 3rd liner, if he plays well again this year would you bump him up to a 1st liner?
If he plays at roughly the same level as he did this year, he will remain roughly where he is now. That is, it would require progresss rather than a mere demonstration of consistency in the form of being able to maintain his current level of play from season to season.

What do you see, coming from Kulemin one year from now? (in terms of immediate NHL impact)
That is actually a rather tough question. Kulemin will never be an elite offensive player in the NHL; his strength as well as value will always lie in impressive counterattacking ability on the rush stemming from solid defense. Yet he has the potential to become a first liner in some capacity. Whether he achieves this potential is dependant upon whether he can learn to utilize his teammates to a greater extent and be more useful once the play is established in the offensive zone. He was also disappointing and not quite comfortable at the World Championships, so experience itself at a high level of competition should help him.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks and its always great to hear your thoughts on the RSL players.

I'm interested in hearing your (and anyone else's too) thoughts on Slava Buravchikov. When is he planning on coming over and what do you think of his game?
As mentioned, he was great at the WJC but didn't display the same maturity in his game at the RSL level and was therby limited to a minor role with Ak Bars. He was even pushed out of the lineup completely towards the end of the season as well as the playoffs. I also think Buravchikov's undrafted WJC teammate, Evgeny Ryasensky, has now more or less taken over as Ak Bars' most salient up-and-coming defenseman. Its hard to say when and if Buravchikov could potentially be ready to come over to the NHL as that depends on his progress over the course of the next couple of seasons - a rather unpredictable matter which will be highly dependant upon just how much playing time he manages to get within Kazan's deep defensive core.

Is Alexei Shkotov making any progress, or has his development completely stagnated?

Same Q w/ Trubachev.
Although Shkotov didn't make any strides this season, I think he still has some potential that is yet to be realized. Trubachev, on the other hand, is likely to remain the player he currently is.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
He is a rather promising young defenseman whose steady progress has already made him capable of squeezing his way onto most top pairings in the RSL as the #2 purely defensive guy. He is, however, still rough around the edges and would most likely not cut it in the NHL at the present moment. I would expect him to make my list of most ready RSL prospects in some capacity within a season or two.

Cool thanks. I heard some much more exagerated reports about him elsewhere.

CrossCheck

Feb 27, 2002
Hockey home, Canada
Visit site
Thanks so much Slitty!

Do you think Grebs will finally establish himself as top 4 quality D-man in the NHL in a near future? To what NHL d-man could compare him today with the progression he's been having in RSL this year?

:yo:

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC

-- George.

no one said that.. we're hoping in the future he can be a good 2nd line or 1st line center.. and some want/hope he could come to the AHL next year (dont think he should) and even there he may not be first line material right away..

don't worry about us george, mi znayim chto u nas budit silnaya kamanda skora (if not now). nimagu eta skazats tozhe pra Islanders.. :sarcasm:

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Slitty,

Thanks for all your hard work and insight. Those of us in Columbus would love to know if there any chance Mozyakin will come over?

I know he always said he wanted to stay in Russia, and is a big star there, but I know he had some contract issues this past season, and I was just wondering if that may have chaneged his desire to say in Russia.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Slitty-the stars took Korostin and then passed on Mayorov when they could have taken him. Most had Mayorov as the higher rated prospect. You thoughts please-was this another Stars draft blunder thanks in advance

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Slitty,

Thanks for all your hard work and insight. Those of us in Columbus would love to know if there any chance Mozyakin will come over?

I know he always said he wanted to stay in Russia, and is a big star there, but I know he had some contract issues this past season, and I was just wondering if that may have chaneged his desire to say in Russia.

No chances i think. And well his contract issues weren't really issues. Just that Avangard Omsk signed him, then the FHR announced the salary cap and they wanted him to earn less money. Therefore he moved to Khimik.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Thanks for the link to the article, very good read.

What do you think the chances are of Zinoviev crossing the pond in the next few years?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently Anton Khudobin has been signed by Minnesota, meaning Kurchiva might be heading back to Russia...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad