Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Chipchura said:
I'd say many posters share Jason's opinion though.

And just as many share mine. I'm not saying that people should stop being homers, because it's inevitable. Like I said...it was mostly a joke. The only time it really becomes an issue is when enough fans of a certain team hype a particular player, and his value becomes overblown...and arguments ensue. It's one thing to debate intelligently..and quite another to hurl insults because someone doesn't think Joe Yourprospect isn't going to be a 50\40 scorer in the AHL..and that's all too common the case.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
I think thats the point, it was funny the first time.. but the 82nd.. well, it starts to lose its luster then.

And yet it gets no less annoying to see the names "Dmitri Vorobiev" and "Robbie Earl" in every single thread, regardless of the topic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To reference the original post, I don't think Dylan Hunter is all that much of a sleeper. Not that he's a bad player or anything, I just don't see how an overager on a powerhouse team putting up good numbers makes him anything particularly special. The road to the ECHL is oft paved with fine final OHL scoring seasons....

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
bobbyorr4ever said:
Dustin Boyd - 98th
Aki Seitsonen - 118th
Good picks :) lol.

Boyd has improved by a signifigant margain this year. The Flames drafted him last summer hoping he would show more of the offence they seen glimpses of last year, he has showed them plenty of that thus far. Hopefully Moosejaw doesn't suck total ass next year and Boyd will get a higher profile. His near miss addition to the Canadian junior team was impressive as well, it would be a big boon for him to be on the team next year.

Aki Seitsonen has really picked up his offence since Kyle Chipchura went down with that season ending injury, the ball was passed to Chipchura and he has done a good job with it. Decent prospect for sure, but I don't beleive he is that much more improved from his draft year.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
I'd offer up 2 guys who I think are turning out really great so far.

Fukufuji- Goalie playing in the echl, drafted 238 and by all accounts really shining. 2.53 GAA and .917 SV% for Bakerfield. I'm sure he would go much higher if the draft were held again.

Alexander Mikhailishin-Drafted 155, big guy. I liked him at the Can-Russia Challenge. I don't know if technically he's a sleeper because I don't know if he would go that much higher. :dunno:

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Chainshot said:
To reference the original post, I don't think Dylan Hunter is all that much of a sleeper. Not that he's a bad player or anything, I just don't see how an overager on a powerhouse team putting up good numbers makes him anything particularly special. The road to the ECHL is oft paved with fine final OHL scoring seasons....

Fair enough, but ya have to think he's move up somewhat - however I do see your point! Great junior yrs or even minor league yrs has nothing to do with a players likeliehood of making it to the Big Show...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Fukufuji- Goalie playing in the echl, drafted 238 and by all accounts really shining. 2.53 GAA and .917 SV% for Bakerfield. I'm sure he would go much higher if the draft were held again.

he's also 4 years older than most of the 2004 draftees...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
bobbyorr4ever said:
Fair enough, but ya have to think he's move up somewhat - however I do see your point! Great junior yrs or even minor league yrs has nothing to do with a players likeliehood of making it to the Big Show...

Yeah, he should be putting up points (which he is) at this point in his career. I'm not saying he has no chance of being offered a professional contract, but to me his chances are likely pretty slim of making it to the AHL as a regular, let alone ever setting foot on the ice in the NHL. And I hope that he proves me wrong. :D

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't really agree with all the comments about Earl. Would he go higher knowing what we know now? Probably, but I wouldn't go near calling him a sleeper. He's a very good college player but I don't think his style and skills translate to much at the NHL level. I see a 3rd/4th line NHLer with not a whole lot of offence.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Kritty said:
I don't really agree with all the comments about Earl. Would he go higher knowing what we know now? Probably, but I wouldn't go near calling him a sleeper. He's a very good college player but I don't think his style and skills translate to much at the NHL level. I see a 3rd/4th line NHLer with not a whole lot of offence.

Well, considering his own coach is rumored to have advised USA Hockey not to select him for the team, one has to wonder.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
nomorekids said:
Well, considering his own coach is rumored to have advised USA Hockey not to select him for the team, one has to wonder.

Why would his coach do that?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
PepNCheese said:
Why would his coach do that?

Well, that I don't know. I've heard different stories...one was a supposed attitude that wasn't very "team-oriented," another was that Eaves(who did some advising as far as player selection) felt that there were better options. :dunno:

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
Flyers - R.J. Anderson (D) 4th round / 6'2, 200lbs (draft size:5'11, 180lbs)
Centennial high school senior

"He reminds me a lot of [former Gophers standout] Jordan Leopold," Aus said. "He's extremely special. You just don't have someone playing defense that can do the things offensively he can do. Guys like that don't come around very often. We've had some good offensive defensemen and sent a number to Division I, but he's truly a special player."

Metro Player of Year: Centennial's R.J. Anderson

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=133188

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Quiet Robert said:
I'd offer up 2 guys who I think are turning out really great so far.

Alexander Mikhailishin-Drafted 155, big guy. I liked him at the Can-Russia Challenge. I don't know if technically he's a sleeper because I don't know if he would go that much higher. :dunno:
Apparently Klimov who NJ selected in later rounds is better. Both probably never make it to North America.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
If the draft were held knowing what's happened since the draft, I have a feeling Bryan Bridges would at least have been drafted. Check out his stats this year in the WHL.

NAME GP SO GAA SV% W-L-T
Bryan Bridges 52 11 1.770 0.928 33-17-2
Jeff Glass 45 8 1.760 0.932 30-10-4
Devan Dubnyk 62 6 2.660 0.914 22-32-7
Marek Schwarz 52 2 2.680 0.899 23-23-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->