Sleeper picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
i expect magnus akerlund (swedish goalie) to make great things in the future. could be the next great goalie prospects from sweden (liv, lundqvist, tellqvist).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Scott Lehman - After Klein was traded from St. Mikes, Lehman really took over his role. He's a fine two-way defenseman who's still improving with every game.

R.J. Anderson - Can't say I've ever seen him play, but I like what I hear. Extremely gifted offensive defenseman. Played high school and put up absolutely monsterous numbers.

Josh Disher - Absolutely sensational for Erie this year, as an OHL rookie. He really improved as the year went on and I think we'll see even better things from him next year. I think someone will grab him in the mid rounds.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Robby Schremp . Wasn't he suppose to go at like 3rd or 2nd overall , now what is he ? I guess not even in the top 10 . Wouldn't be surprised is someone got him at the 20-30's .

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
montreal said:
Mailhiot may retire due to head injuries.

As for mikhail yunkov, I was under the impression he opted out, no?

As for some sleepers,

David Booth- I was always impressed with his game, power stride
Klye Klubertanz- small for a defensemen, but offensively gifted
Kevin Potter- small but fast, headed to a great program at UM
Stanislav Lascek- needs to work on skating but offensively gifted
Jan Steber (although I think I'm alone in thinking this),
Philippe Roberge, not talked about much at all, might be a good late pickup
Fredrick Naslund (I am thinking I'm also alone with this one, never saw him, just going off what I read), big LW, although his U-18 performance should drop him a bit
Robbie Earl (his size is a bit of an issue, but he's fun to watch)

I like a lot of your picks, especially Robbie Earl, who's a little tank out there. He's a fan favourite type, and I fully expect him to make the NHL.

But I completely and utterly disagree on Steber, lol. Watching this guy, I think he's absolutely terrible. He's got some size sure, but I find him slow, weak, seriously lacking hockey sense, lacking balance....I really don't see anything in him. Am I missing something though?

Also, the person who mentioned Ryan Callahan was dead on. The kid's got plenty of offensive ability, and despite a lack of size, he's not afraid to go to the net. From the same token, Mark Mancari is another guy passed over last year who broke out this year. montreal, I know you have him on your radar screen too. He's one of my sleepers and has been for a long time.

Finally, Paul Baier is a pretty good defenceman who could be a nice steal for a team past the third round. Solid, steady, smart and reasonably mobile for his size.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hossa said:
I like a lot of your picks, especially Robbie Earl, who's a little tank out there. He's a fan favourite type, and I fully expect him to make the NHL.

But I completely and utterly disagree on Steber, lol. Watching this guy, I think he's absolutely terrible. He's got some size sure, but I find him slow, weak, seriously lacking hockey sense, lacking balance....I really don't see anything in him. Am I missing something though?

Steber I think would make a good 4th-5th round pick imo. He's got good hands, I think his skating is fine, speed, size. I'm hoping he has a breakout year next season. Just about everyone I talk to is down on Steber, but I'm either off my rocker, or just like something in his game. Cabana would be the better pick, but I don't think he'll last past the 3rd. (I'm hoping the Habs take a shot on him)

Dangler

May 7, 2004
David Shantz goalie for the Ice Dogs, stole alot of games down the stretch.
Schremp if the right GM gets a hold of him (ie: Lou Lamerello).
I saw a kid by the name of Michael Kostka play this year (Aurora Jr. A) and he moved up something like 75 places on Central Scouting list and is going to Robert Morris next year on a scholarship, he is a good size puck moving D

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Joe Barnes: If he didn't have injuries and play for a horrible team he could have had first round numbers to go with his great size.

Vaclav Meidl: Huge, tough and skilled. Still needs to get used to North American culture and longer seasons.

Travis Zajac: Only knock is the lack of decent competition he faced (BCHL).

RJ Anderson: Scoring machine as a D-Man. Like Zajac didn't face top notch competition. He's also not the desired size for a D-Man but will likely be over 6-feet and 200 pounds when ready for the NHL.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Alex Kovalev said:
I meant Redline.

There are always players that aren't ranked by the various scouting services/publications. That doesn't necesarily mean that NHL teams won't spend a draft pick on them or that these players won't become anything. Of what I know about Grant Lewis, this kid has done nothing but exceed (many) expectations thus far. He didn't get the praise he deserved just by being a warm body on the ice, he earned the praise. Dartmouth lost defensive depth after the 2002-03 season due to graduation. Lewis (along with the recently graduated Brian Van Abel) were the cornerstones of the Big Green blueline this past season. Lewis wasn't expected to do as much as he done in his freshman season, but did and boy he did! While, I feel that Lewis still has some refining of his skills that needs to be done (and putting on some weight/muscle couldn't hurt either), IMO he's just going to get better and better.

For those of you mentioning R. J. Anderson....you all do know that he won't be Minnesota-bound until 2005, right? Regardless, should be a good pickup for whoever takes him.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
A couple of names from the Memorial Cup that stood out were Nick Fugere and Blake Comeau. Also, I caught a Peterborough game earlier in the year and the player that stood out was Patrick Kaleta - not a huge guy, but willing to hit anything.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Oilers Chick said:
There are always players that aren't ranked by the various scouting services/publications. That doesn't necesarily mean that NHL teams won't spend a draft pick on them or that these players won't become anything. Of what I know about Grant Lewis, this kid has done nothing but exceed (many) expectations thus far. He didn't get the praise he deserved just by being a warm body on the ice, he earned the praise. Dartmouth lost defensive depth after the 2002-03 season due to graduation. Lewis (along with the recently graduated Brian Van Abel) were the cornerstones of the Big Green blueline this past season. Lewis wasn't expected to do as much as he done in his freshman season, but did and boy he did! While, I feel that Lewis still has some refining of his skills that needs to be done (and putting on some weight/muscle couldn't hurt either), IMO he's just going to get better and better.

An interesting sidenote on Grant Lewis that has nothing to do with hockey...

The commander of the Vermont Brigade that fought for the Union Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg was Colonel Lewis Grant...

Weird.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
I like Korpikoski alot.

My sleeper pick, is Martin Karsums. This guy could hit the first round, and could be the steal of the draft. A great player.

I also think Mike Green could end up being the best defensman in the draft.

My sleeper pick is Mike Green i think he would have been easily a top 10 pick if he wasnt on such a god awful team.

Reactions: DaveG

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
For those of you mentioning R. J. Anderson....you all do know that he won't be Minnesota-bound until 2005, right? Regardless, should be a good pickup for whoever takes him.

Is he staying in high school, or going junior, or how does it work down there? He should definitely be playing where the competition is better.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Johannes Salmonsson is my sleeper pick.

If he gets drafted to a team like Detroit, I've got a feeling he will end up playing straight away with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and put up good numbers.

Any player who is willing to work hard are always good sleeper picks.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Oilers Chick or anyone who can answer, what's your opinion of Rob Page? He is ranked fairly high (64) by CSS and has great stats, though he is only playing High School hockey. I would assume he has the offensive talent from his numbers, but is he good defensively? physical? a good skater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->