Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Slavin

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've always thought it'd be fun to do a weekly "hot takes" poll/discussion on certain Canes topics in the HfCanes board. If this is a dumb idea let me know it's a dumb idea, or if you like think it's a fun idea let me know.

So we've seen Hanifin's play take a huge step forward this year and Slavin's play take a slight step back. We saw what Slavin is capable of last year and we know what Hanifin's ceiling might be.

I'm genuinely curious if a situation came up today to acquire the perfect 1C for our team and we had to move Slavin or Hanifin in order to acquire that player. Are you trading Slavin or Hanifin to get the 1C?

Also keep in mind that we have Fleury hopefully able to step into that #2 LD spot fairly soon & Bean in the near future as well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That is a great question and I have thought a lot about that as well lately. Hanifin sure is looking like he is figuring things out, both offensively and defensively. If I knew Hanifin's defensive performance would take just another step forward, it would be pretty easy to say keep him as his offensive potential seems to be much higher. But then again, Slavin's performance last year as a shut down guy was phenomenal. As it is right now, I'd probably be ok with either and likely would just see which would be the ask for that "perfect" center.

Bigger question for me is....what/who is our perfect 1C we are looking for?

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I like the idea of pools and threads like this one.

IMO, Hanifin would get us better player in a return because of his offensive potential. But also when (not if) he get`s better at defensive side of game, he will be a stud in this league. Most likely I would trade Slavin because of this reason, it`s harder to get very good offensive D than shutdown D.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'm so torn on these guys. Obviously it would be ideal to be able to keep both these guys and find our ideal #1C by either drafting or using other assets.

I keep telling my vote would be to keep Slavin, as watching him last year we'd be crazy to trade him as he was so phenomenal. But with the way Hanifin's game is growing, the flashes of brilliance he's had, the thought in the back of my head is Hanifin could actually become a guy like Hedman. Hanifin also seems to be ahead of Hedman as to when he was in his 3rd season of development. But hoping Hanifin turns into Hedman is a lot to bank on. This decision is honestly a coin flip for me today, I think we'll definitely have a better idea as the season comes to an end. I'm leaning towards moving Slavin now as his ceiling is becoming the next Marc Andre Vlasic.

On another note there is a chance we might be able to acquire a top center from a rebuilding team down the road if one becomes available. We have such a deep prospect pool, we'll have a 1st round pick in 2018 available, and I have to think Fleury's value has gone up this season which might be a good guy to anchor our side of the deal in acquiring our guy.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Why do we have to live in a world with only Slavin or Hanifin?

latest

(I suppose this should say Why not KEEP both?)
url

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Conservative Francis keeps both and hopes either Necas pans out as the mythical 1C needed or he can sucker someone into trading one away for one of Faulk/Fleury/Bean + Rask...

(I'll go on record as thinking a Nugent-Hopkins for Faulk trade may actually make some sense this year, if EDM is interested and looking to re-unite Sekera with Faulk...)

Edit-probably a very long shot, but I wonder what OTT's ask for Duchene would be if he continues his downward spiral...

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Slavin is as good defensively as Hanifin is offensively. They are about as equally below-average to average in the opposing zone. Both are great in transition. Canes need both.

There are a ton of good UFA coming up this year. Will be interesting to see if some of that new money can be spent. Something like 7 year, $85 million to John Tavares.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm so torn on these guys. Obviously it would be ideal to be able to keep both these guys and find our ideal #1C by either drafting or using other assets.

I keep telling my vote would be to keep Slavin, as watching him last year we'd be crazy to trade him as he was so phenomenal. But with the way Hanifin's game is growing, the flashes of brilliance he's had, the thought in the back of my head is Hanifin could actually become a guy like Hedman. Hanifin also seems to be ahead of Hedman as to when he was in his 3rd season of development. But hoping Hanifin turns into Hedman is a lot to bank on. This decision is honestly a coin flip for me today, I think we'll definitely have a better idea as the season comes to an end. I'm leaning towards moving Slavin now as his ceiling is becoming the next Marc Andre Vlasic.

On another note there is a chance we might be able to acquire a top center from a rebuilding team down the road if one becomes available. We have such a deep prospect pool, we'll have a 1st round pick in 2018 available, and I have to think Fleury's value has gone up this season which might be a good guy to anchor our side of the deal in acquiring our guy.

Did Vlasic and Bergeron have a love child? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
My take is that Hanifin is the most valuable of the two players, but it depends on who is asking. Meaning, if the other GM is *really* high on Slavin and would even give me a little extra for my trouble, but would make me give up a little something if Hanifin is the trade, then I'm going Slavin. If I have to give up Necas and Slavin to get the 1C but only Rask with Hanifin then I'm going Hanifin.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It probably depends on when you ask.

Last year, you probably trade Hanifin.
This year, you probably trade Slavin.
At the best they've shown, you probably trade Hanifin.
At where they both project to be at their highest, you probably trade Slavin.

As mentioned above, it might depend on who is available, what else you have to give, and what the trade partner wants.
Either way, it's a very tough decision to make, regardless of what we have in the pipeline behind them.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
still really bullish on slavin. the entire season he put together last year was a thing of beauty. really close to about as perfect as you can expect a season to go for him. he displayed that same acumen for the first ten or so games this year but he's hit a bump in his development. in fact, pesce hasn't looked too great this year to me. getting zero offense out of him. not that he was bobby orr last year, but the feeling for me is that he's generally not as reliable as last year in any zone.

hanifin is the beneficiary of getting to play some softer matchups and his offense is finally coming through. these things take time, but he's trending about as you'd expect a future 40-50 point defender. the ask is how much you'll ever get out of him defensively. is he going to be shattenkirky or is he going to be good enough defensively to be unquestionable top pair? too early to call in my estimation.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
keep hanifin

trade slavin
As much as there is a debate about the potential of this franchise, we need to both of these guys. Our top 4 left side should be settled for awhile now. And it probably is in house. As far as I'm concerned it's a long term competition between Pesce and Faulk. I don't claim to have the answer, but I hope our coaches figure it out.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
still really bullish on slavin. the entire season he put together last year was a thing of beauty. really close to about as perfect as you can expect a season to go for him. he displayed that same acumen for the first ten or so games this year but he's hit a bump in his development. in fact, pesce hasn't looked too great this year to me. getting zero offense out of him. not that he was bobby orr last year, but the feeling for me is that he's generally not as reliable as last year in any zone.

hanifin is the beneficiary of getting to play some softer matchups and his offense is finally coming through. these things take time, but he's trending about as you'd expect a future 40-50 point defender. the ask is how much you'll ever get out of him defensively. is he going to be shattenkirky or is he going to be good enough defensively to be unquestionable top pair? too early to call in my estimation.
I mean that's one way to look at it.

A really biased way to look at it, in my opinion.

But we've been shit as a franchise, and we'll always be shit so that's what's up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->