Slapshot

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mine sucks. Pointers please.

I guess it's mainly an issue of strong balance on your skates, something I don't really have right now. I know you are supposed to actually aim a bit behind the puck to get some whip and flex on your stick. But whenever I try a slapper, it's one of those crappy skid along the ice ones. I don't think I generate enough power and whip, maybe I need a stick with a flex that isn't as stiff.

Say you are standing still about to take a slapshot. Where should the puck be in your stance? In the middle between your two skates? More towards your back foot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Redden Hogalot*

I have a bad shot too, but I think I can help.

Try hitting the ice before you hit the puck, and I like to keep the puck closer to my back leg. Maybe some other people have better ideas then mine...:)

kovahab

Mine sucks. Pointers please.

I guess it's mainly an issue of strong balance on your skates, something I don't really have right now. I know you are supposed to actually aim a bit behind the puck to get some whip and flex on your stick. But whenever I try a slapper, it's one of those crappy skid along the ice ones. I don't think I generate enough power and whip, maybe I need a stick with a flex that isn't as stiff.

Say you are standing still about to take a slapshot. Where should the puck be in your stance? In the middle between your two skates? More towards your back foot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Definately in the middle between your two skates. Pay close attention to the good shooters in the nhl (Souray, Chara, etc) and the other dman who passes the puck to them. Its always between their skates.

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
Just hit it really, really, hard. Hit about two or three inches before the puck, bend your knees, transfer your weight to the front.

Don't forget to hit it really hard.

Also practice.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just hit it really, really, hard. Hit about two or three inches before the puck, bend your knees, transfer your weight to the front.

Don't forget to hit it really hard.

Also practice.

Gotta disagree or the strongest guys would have the best shots. Look at Brian Rolston,hardly a power house. Balance,positioning,weight shifting,wrist follow through. You gotta snap those wrists on contact with the ice to increase torque. The hardest shot on my team is from a 40 year old guy who is 5'8" 155 pounds-just a missile,no surprise he is also the best skater with the best balance. I'm 5'7' about 180 lbs and a well above average skater and bench about 280-300 and my shot was measured at 87 mph about 10 years ago.Not bad but not a bomb either,my technique is just not as good as my pal's and never will be, and to add, he benches about 155!

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
If you can't lift it, try to hit ice furher before the puck. Most suggest 2-3 inches, but in my case it was some 8-10 inches when it finally worked. Might depend on the flex of your stick, I guess.

spoon*

Well, you have to practise a lot first of all.You can't just go to a backyard rink and expect to get a 100mph shot top shelf...

I just transfer all my weight from one foot.I personally try and get it right in the middle of the blade.If you grip your stick too tight, it'll be all that much harder.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I personally aim more near the toe of my blade and i snap my wrists up for elevation, and i ease up a bit on how high i snap them when i want one low. Be sure to point the stick on your follow through at your target, and to transfer all your weight.

I personally position the puck quite a bit closer to my back foot than the middle, felt weird at first but it helped me bit.

And patience, don't go out and take 300 slap shots, get frustrated and end up with an f'd up shoulder (can you tell I've been there?). It takes a while but you gotta do it the right way. Set up the puck in a good position, hell take some practice swings watching your follow through, keep your eye on the puck, and try to nail that one perfect. Pay attention to what you're doing wrong.

And something that helped me at first aswell some others I know, if you're still having trouble. Try getting a skating start first and walking into the shot. Once you get that down, stepping into the shot with all your weight from a still position will feel more natural.

Checklist for ya:
a)Position of the puck
b)Stepping into or transferring your weight.
c)Watch your swing until you make contact (It takes ALOT to have a good accurate slapper with your head up the whole time, believe me).
d)Where on the blade you make contact
e)Snap your wrists on contact
f)Follow through and point at the target.

Take your time with each practice shot and see which of those you are or are not doing and you'll get it. Goodluck ;P

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
Gotta disagree or the strongest guys would have the best shots. Look at Brian Rolston,hardly a power house. Balance,positioning,weight shifting,wrist follow through. You gotta snap those wrists on contact with the ice to increase torque. The hardest shot on my team is from a 40 year old guy who is 5'8" 155 pounds-just a missile,no surprise he is also the best skater with the best balance. I'm 5'7' about 180 lbs and a well above average skater and bench about 280-300 and my shot was measured at 87 mph about 10 years ago.Not bad but not a bomb either,my technique is just not as good as my pal's and never will be, and to add, he benches about 155!

Oh yeah, form is important, but, IMO, hitting it as hard as you can is more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad