Slapshot Help...

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
1000 shots over a summer boils down to about 12 a day. So that's about 84 shots a week.

I'd recommend if you have a good place to shoot from; taking 50-100 shots a day to get better.

jharrison1991

Jan 24, 2007
i used to take slapshots and hold my bottom hand wayyy down the shaft, cause thats what i saw alot of people with good shots do that. I recently tried holding my hand down a little further down the shaft than my wrist shot, but not too much. not as much as before. i was then able to transfer my weight and balance better. i can now put the puck anywhere i want with my slapshot. top corner, five hole, crossbar. along the ice. just experiment a little.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
For my slapshots I generally find the flex point on my sticks (Easton's usually have a pretty comfortable zone in which you can really get some good flex) and just take a ton of shots experimenting with the flex zone. Eventually you find a sweet spot and you keep practicing from there.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
1000 shots over a summer boils down to about 12 a day. So that's about 84 shots a week.

I'd recommend if you have a good place to shoot from; taking 50-100 shots a day to get better.

Over the last summer I know I personally took about minimum 1000 shots/day (though it wasn't just slap shots) using those extra heavy pucks. Really helped with my game shot wise, which made the workout all the more gratifying.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
i used to take slapshots and hold my bottom hand wayyy down the shaft, cause thats what i saw alot of people with good shots do that. I recently tried holding my hand down a little further down the shaft than my wrist shot, but not too much. not as much as before. i was then able to transfer my weight and balance better. i can now put the puck anywhere i want with my slapshot. top corner, five hole, crossbar. along the ice. just experiment a little.

This, too, has been my problem and I'm just starting to fix it by keeping my bottom hand a little higher. Not yet putting it wherever I want but my slapper is definitely improving. I think a lot of people if they're not taught proper technique (like me) instinctively put the bottom hand very low. For me, it led to less power and caused my shots to go too high. Now I'm really flexing the shaft and getting more power behind the shot. Not sure if the OP is having this issue but it's worth considering.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
well, i mean you can aim (high or low) with where you put your bottom hand on the stick.

make sure to hold that sun'm***** tight (your bottom hand) (like harder than normal. put in a conscious effort to grip it tight)

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
I can't believe nobody has told you to keep your bottom arm straight and stiff. If you take a shot with a bent lower arm it absorbs the torque of the stick and instead of the shaft flexing your arm does.

Biggest fundemental to keep in mind is keeping your elbow locked

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
To me, unless you're a defenseman then your slapper doesn't need to be all too great. Work on your wrist shot, it's more important.
Just work on shooting without looking down first and switching from stickhandling to shooting real quick and then on your placement. Just my opinion. Just look at Jagr, he scored over 3/4 of his goals in his career without even knowing how to take a slapshot!

Anyway, in terms of the slapper, I have to learn how to keep it low. I'm not sure if it's my hand placement or just the blade that I use. I'll have to experiment a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad