Slapshot height

Central Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2006
I'm just starting to get back into playing after 10 years. I'm just practicing on my feet right now with shooting. Trouble I'm
having is getting my slapshot above knee level consistently. I want to be able to put it as high as I want.

I can bench 300 lbs. and I have a very strong grip but can't get my slapshot as high as some guys who barely bench 150 lbs. :(

Perhaps my technique sucks?

Any suggestions.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
First of all a slapshot is hard to practice in your shoes. You need to be able to shift your weight on your edges and your shoes don't have edges. Secondly, slapshots don't need to be any higher than knee height anyway. If you are playing defense and taking slapshots you shouldn't be thinking you are going to score with it. A goalie with any skill what so ever will stop all shots from there. You want it down where your forwards can redirect it or it hits the goalie in the pads and your forwards can bang in rebounds. If the goalie is screened and it happens to go in, great, but scoring shouldn't be your objective. If you're playing forward and coming down the wing and want to let a slapshot go because you don't have any other options, again knee height is your best chance to score. Put it where the goalie has that split second where he has to decide whether to catch it or kick it. You might catch him doing neither one.
That being said, the height of the shot is controlled by the position of the bottom hand on your stick and the follow through. The further down your hand goes toward the blade, the higher the shot will go. But you need to follow through. Make sure your blade hits the ice just behind the puck to get a good flex in the shaft of your stick. If you are standing still at the point play the puck just in front of halfway in your stance. Just behind halfway to keep it low. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
If you are playing defense and taking slapshots you shouldn't thinking you are going to score with it. A goalie with any skill what so ever will stop all shots from there. You want it down where your forwards can redirect it or it hits the goalie in the pads and your forwards can bang in rebounds. If the goalie is screened and it happens to go in, great, but scoring shouldn't be your objective.

I cannot get this one guy I know in rec leagues to understand this concept. 6'6" D-man who has a nice slapper but he always tries to score with it from the blueline and it whizzes by head high. No effing way I'm going to the net when he winds up. Thankfully he's not on my team in the summer session.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I cannot get this one guy I know in rec leagues to understand this concept. 6'6" D-man who has a nice slapper but he always tries to score with it from the blueline and it whizzes by head high. No effing way I'm going to the net when he winds up. Thankfully he's not on my team in the summer session.

I know what you mean man, it's my instinct to drive the net as a forward and i once played with a guy who had a cannon, too bad they were always head high. First game of the season i wore a visor, second game i wore a cage and everyone knew damn well why.

Knee high is good, its alot easier to shoot through peoples legs than to shoot through peoples ears >.<. A guy who can bring it from the blue line, low, hard, on goal, and can take the shot real fast while hitting all those previous aspects.....well they got a spot on almost any team.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm just starting to get back into playing after 10 years. I'm just practicing on my feet right now with shooting. Trouble I'm
having is getting my slapshot above knee level consistently. I want to be able to put it as high as I want.

I can bench 300 lbs. and I have a very strong grip but can't get my slapshot as high as some guys who barely bench 150 lbs. :(

Perhaps my technique sucks?

Any suggestions.

Assuming you have similar mid body or trunk strength is your stick stiff enough?

If you get "good wood" on it it should go somewhat with your follow through and where you "point" at the end of your shot.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Yeah, stregnth has nothing to do with your slapper, it's all technique. As you've been advised already, you wanna keep it down. Sure, shooting it high looks good, but you pretty much eliminate any chance of a deflection, as well as much more importantly IMO, rebounds.

Just keep practicing, you'll eventually get much more control on your shot placement, but you still wanna learn to keep the thing down.

Central Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2006
First of all a slapshot is hard to practice in your shoes. You need to be able to shift your weight on your edges and your shoes don't have edges. Secondly, slapshots don't need to be any higher than knee height anyway. If you are playing defense and taking slapshots you shouldn't thinking you are going to score with it. A goalie with any skill what so ever will stop all shots from there. You want it down where your forwards can redirect it or it hits the goalie in the pads and your forwards can bang in rebounds. If the goalie is screened and it happens to go in, great, but scoring shouldn't be your objective. If you're playing forward and coming down the wing and want to let a slapshot go because you don't have any other options, again knee height is your best chance to score. Put it where the goalie has that split second where he has to decide whether to catch it or kick it. You might catch him doing neither one.
That being said, the height of the shot is controlled by the position of the bottom hand on your stick and the follow through. The further down your hand goes toward the blade, the higher the shot will go. But you need to follow through. Make sure your blade hits the ice just behind the puck to get a good flex in the shaft of your stick. If you are standing still at the point play the puck just in front of halfway in your stance. Just behind halfway to keep it low. Good luck.

That's the opposite of what I was formerly told. No wonder I was having trouble. But it does make sense because of the laws of leverage. I'll try that when my biceps aren't aching so much from my first day of shooting. Thank you sir.

Also, it should help that I purchased the Sherwood with the Coffey blade (big curve).

Central Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2006
Assuming you have similar mid body or trunk strength is your stick stiff enough?

If you get "good wood" on it it should go somewhat with your follow through and where you "point" at the end of your shot.

Um, it's the Sherwood Paul Coffey stick. I picked it up because it was a cheap "practice stick". I don't know the actual strength compared to other sticks on the market now, I just know it has a ridiculously big curve so it is good for roofing shots at least on the forehand.

Central Jersey Devil

Sep 30, 2006
Okay call me an addict but I just got back from trying out my new shot at the local roller rink and WOW. I was holding the stick at midpoint and not getting much height. I slid my top hand down about 4 inches and the puck literally exploded off my stick. Thanks.

2x4*

Strength has nothing to do with it. In 8th grade I was able to hit anywhere on the net with a slapper. It comes down to your follow through IMO. Thats how I control my shot heights. For on ice shots... stop a few inches after puck release... to hit top shelf... full follow through. IDK thats how I do it. I know I cant explain it... just practice as much as possible :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad