Slap Shot Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Gatzos*

As stated in another post here, i'm just starting to play ice hockey recently. I've been working on improving a lot of my game, started mainly with skating, trying to go as many times as possible a week. My biggest thing now since I primarily play Defense is my slap shot. While I've got a hard shot, I am only able to get 1 in every 10 shots or so actually off the ice. They're farily hard shots and great for rebounds but other than that ive got nothing. Is there a tutorial anywhere online for proper technique? My stick is up to my chin on skates. The tape towards the toe of my stick was wearing off on the bottom im assuming this has to do with my problem. Pointers anyone?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Tell me about your technique and maybe I can help, im probablly the opposite of you, I have a fairly hard shot from the point but I can place it 2-3ft or higher off the Ice on a whim.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I've read that your follow through has a lot to do with the height of your shot. Higher the follow through, higher the shot as long as your technique is otherwise correct. I cannot testify to this myself because my slapshot is so awful, the goalie can balance his checkbook and take a nap before my shot gets to him.

MiZZZike*

If you're a defensman then I don't see it too important to get it off the ice, as a forward who spends a lot of time on the PP in front of the net this is the best shot.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
MiZZZike said:
If you're a defensman then I don't see it too important to get it off the ice, as a forward who spends a lot of time on the PP in front of the net this is the best shot.

Couldn't be more true.

As a guy who spends every powerplay in front of the net, and any time there's a point shot is usually there, please keep that shot less than a foot off of the ice. You've got a guy standing there taking a beating so that the goalie cant' see the shot, do him a favour and keep it low so that it can create a rebound if the goalie does see it, and not hit him somewhere where it will hurt.. a shot off the shinpads is fine, but when you take it off of the chest it hurts like you wouldnt' believe. Youv'e got guys out there doing everything they can to get the goal.. reward them and keep that shot low, they'll love you for it. I know ther ehave been several times this year where the ref has asked me if the puck went in off of me and I've told him it hasn't because I wanted my team mate to get credit for the goalie.. if he was shooting head height I might be a bit more hesitant!

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
I find having my bottom hand lower on the stick to get my slapshot off the ice helps a lot. Also if you are fairly new with Hockey you're slapshot won't be booming right away just keep taking it and practising it and it will come for sure. My slapshot never use to be hard but I kept taking it and then it really started to click and now it's huge.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I don't know the reason behind it, but it is easier to get the puck off the ice when you shoot at a few feet from the board than if you shoot at the net at a great distance. So I suggest you try shooting on the boards from about 10 feet.

Incarnation

Dec 29, 2005
Finland
One of the most important things in slap shot is the position of the puck. I can shoot best when puck is exactly between my legs (in front of me of course) but there are some people who like to shoot when puck is little further or more on the back foot.
...and don't use your elbows. Keep your hands straight all the time when shooting.

Lecavalier's short instruction video:
http://www.smarthockey.com/media/ball/ball_s.mov

Last edited:

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Incarnation

Do you happens to got any videos of shooting the puck on teh ice.
Nevertheless pretty good video clip.

Last edited:

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
I know that you probably receive a tonne of advice but, as a guy who has played hockey for 25 years, my advice would be...learn like I did when I was younger. Work on one thing at a time. First work on you wrist shot, it can be very hard and accurate. Once you have mastered this work on a snap and then a slap. Once you are feeling comfortable with your snap, the slap will come.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
I used some of the pointers that were brought up here earlier today.. I saw a great improvement in my shot. It appears I get a ton more power shooting off the toe of my stick.. props to Leaf_Crazy

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
I find whenever I shoot from the toe of my stick the puck is all fluttery.

CheeseSandwich*

Use a curve with some loft (a curve that looks more like a nine iron then a putter). This will get under the puck more and raise it on slap shots or snap shots.

I had the same problem when I was younger, I changed my blade though and it was corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad