Slafkovsky, Mesar, Beck and Hutson. Habs killing the draft of 2022?

Habs killing the draft of 2022?

• Yes

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 20.1%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 104 61.5%
  • Potential is there

Votes: 22 13.0%

• Total voters

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If they reach all their potential... I think Habs killing the draft of 2022 with their selection. Slafkovsky have certainly potential to become a top line player, Mesar top 6 player, Beck at least a very good 3C, maybe more... he reminds me of Horvat and Hutson based only on talent, he have the talent of a top 10 pick in that draft.

So do you think Habs killing the draft of 2022?

Vinzenz Rohrer and Adam Engstrom looks pretty good too.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If that's the big draft of the Habs rebuild, it will be fun to compare it with the Sens 2020 draft :

#3. Tim Stutzle
#5. Jake Sanderson
#28. Ridly Greig
#33. Roby Jarventie
#44. Tyler Kleven
#61. Egor Sokolov
#71. Leevi Merilainen
#155. Eric Engstrand
#158. Philippe Daoust
#181. Cole Reinhardt

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If that's the big draft of the Habs rebuild, it will be fun to compare it with the Sens 2020 draft :

#3. Tim Stutzle
#5. Jake Sanderson
#28. Ridly Greig
#33. Roby Jarventie
#44. Tyler Kleven
#61. Egor Sokolov
#71. Leevi Merilainen
#155. Eric Engstrand
#158. Philippe Daoust
#181. Cole Reinhardt

Stutzle vs Slafkovsky... going fun to watch, for sure.
Greig can be compared with Beck.

Sanderson is more valuable than Mesar, Hutson... but Mesar and Hutson at their range of draft, that's great prospects for sure.

Reactions: KristichBabych

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Slafkovsky and Beck were my two top available players at those draft positions, so of course I like it.

Mesar I see as more of a longshot, I don't know why you wouldn't just pick Kulich instead there. All the upside and much more projectable.

Hutson is a decent player for his draft slot, but look for his stock to soar as he lights up lower levels. Same as any other tiny phenom. Those players become top prospects (on HF) whether they eventually can handle the NHL or not.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Imma go with what the Habs always have............a bunch of mediocrity.

Always? Are they not the most winning team in NHL history; by a country mile? You should stick to trolling with opinions and shy away from objective fact.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Imma go with what the Habs always have............a bunch of mediocrity.
Well, nobody knows for sure how this draft turns out.

The two things we can be sure about is that you don’t know anything about all but one of these prospects and you’ll make posts without any substance in every threads about the Habs sounding like a 15 years old laughing at his own cheap Big Tannen impersonation.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
I think there were better choices to make than Mesar (Kulich, Howard) but he was chosen to secure Slafkovsky's loyalty for the future.

I remain skeptical of Beck.

On the other hand Hutson can become a defender n°1. Franchises haven't learned the lessons of Krug and Fox.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Stutzle vs Slafkovsky... going fun to watch, for sure.
Greig can be compared with Beck.

Sanderson is more valuable than Mesar, Hutson... but Mesar and Hutson at their range of draft, that's great prospects for sure.

#3. Tim Stutzle vs #1. Juraj Slafkovsky
#28. Ridly Greig vs #33. Owen Beck
#33. Roby Jarventie vs #26. Filip Mesar
#61. Egor Sokolov vs #75. Vinzenz Rohrer

#5. Jake Sanderson vs #62. Lane Hutson
#44. Tyler Kleven vs #92. Adam Engstrom

I don't see this as ever being close but time will tell! The 2020 draft was a LOT better. Sens also had way more draft capital (mainly because of that Sharks 1st)

Edit : Pierre Dorion also wasted two more 2nd round picks the Sens had. One on Derek Stepan and his 6.5 AAV in one of the most baffling trades I have ever seen. The other one on Matt Murray who is a good goalie but has been the most injury-prone NHL player in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
None of these guys would go higher in a redraft yet imo so way too early

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
#3. Tim Stutzle vs #1. Juraj Slafkovsky
#28. Ridly Greig vs #33. Owen Beck
#33. Roby Jarventie vs #26. Filip Mesar
#61. Egor Sokolov vs #75. Vinzenz Rohrer

#5. Jake Sanderson vs #62. Lane Hutson
#44. Tyler Kleven vs #92. Adam Engstrom

I don't see this as ever being close but time will tell! The 2020 draft was a LOT better. Sens also had way more draft capital (mainly because of that Sharks 1st)
2020 was always viewed better then 2022 and the sens had two top 5 picks. I'd take the sens no questions asked. I think that draft will help the elevate the sens into contender status in about two years.

As far as the Habs, the rebuild just started, a more accurate picture of where we are is likely going into the sens 2019/2020 season where the 2023 draft is the one we need to nail, Slaf is more like our tkachuk then our Stutzle

Reactions: Xspyrit

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I think the Habs had an excellent draft. They’ll need at least two but probably three more excellent drafts, but it’s a great start for them.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
2020 was always viewed better then 2022 and the sens had two top 5 picks. I'd take the sens no questions asked. I think that draft will help the elevate the sens into contender status in about two years.

As far as the Habs, the rebuild just started, a more accurate picture of where we are is likely going into the sens 2019/2020 season where the 2023 draft is the one we need to nail, Slaf is more like our tkachuk then our Stutzle

Exactly, that 2020 draft was crucial for the Sens and thankfully it seems that it will pay off big time. The 2018 draft was good (Tkachuk, JBD, Crookshank), 2019 will be excellent too (Pinto, Sogaard, Thomson, Kastelic, maybe more) but 2021 and 2022 look lackadaisical so far so 2020 is the key for the Sens rebuild. And it's pretty normal as the Sens had 3 first round picks (including 2 top-5) and 5 second round picks. It's crazy when you think of it but note that it was due to the major Melnyk firesale

For the Habs, time will tell but that key draft could very well be 2023 like you said. I like the comparison of what Slaf could be, even if they don't play the exact same game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad