Value of: Skinner and Faulk

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Canes fans - what are your aspirations for this year?
Playoffs?
I'm asking because it determines the return for Faulk, should you trade him.
That’s a great question I don’t really have an answer for. The skinner trade makes it seem like they want to rebuild, but they broght in guys like Hamilton, De Haan, Martinook, and Ferlund, so the front office isn’t totally throwing in the towel.

I’m expecting them to be a bubble team again. I’m pretty happy with the defense, but the forwards have a lot of question marks in rookies (Svechnikov, Necas, Zykov, Foegele), and the goaltending will be a total crapshoot.

I could see us finishing anywhere between 7th-13th in the conference.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That’s a great question I don’t really have an answer for. The skinner trade makes it seem like they want to rebuild, but they broght in guys like Hamilton, De Haan, Martinook, and Ferlund, so the front office isn’t totally throwing in the towel.

I’m expecting them to be a bubble team again. I’m pretty happy with the defense, but the forwards have a lot of question marks in rookies (Svechnikov, Necas, Zykov, Foegele), and the goaltending will be a total crapshoot.

I think the phrase "right mix" is appropriate. They are looking for the chemistry and the mix of players that will best function in Roddy's system...whatever that is.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
[QUOTE="SvechniCanesCup2019, post: The trade opportunity between Buffalo and Carolina already passed with ROR being dealt.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha this is funny now

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

the other possibility is that they don't think Skinner is the right player to win games with. I haven't watched him a ton, but is there an issue with his defensive play? It could also be that he wanted out.

It seems fairly clear to me that they are in win-now mode. Maybe they feel Svechnikov can replace Skinner's production well enough. I think they will still try some things this offseason. Maybe a Faulk trade can supplement their forward depth a bit, or maybe there's still some other move to be made.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Last season, Faulk’s shooting percentage was half of what it was in the prior three years. If that bounces back, that’s maybe 5 additional goals, accounting for some ice time cuts. Add in the 5-7 the team will get by swapping out Hanifin for Hamilton, and Carolina is close to the median if Svechnikov, Necas and Ferland have good, but not great seasons.

Svechnikov doesn’t need to have a Laine/Matthews-like rookie season; a Duchene/Hall/Landeskog-like D+1 would offset Skinner. A Rantanen/Larkin/Ehlers like D+2 season for Necas would offset Ryan. Ferland would need to match the 16 goals Lindholm produced in a Top 6 role and 1st unit PP time.

Obviously, a lot has to go right for Carolina not to have a Bottom 10 offense, but it’s somewhat realistic. Faulk’s potential production is important to that upside. If there’s a trade for forward that has a legit shot at 50 points or so in the mold of a Johnson or Saad, that’s fine. Otherwise, keep him and hope having two of the best goal scoring defenders in the league can make up for a below average forward group. I don’t think the team has a shot at competing for a playoff spot in the East if he’s dealt for futures that aren't then flipped for a quality NHL player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If the Canes move Faulk right now, I'm not sure they are looking for a roster player back. Maybe they SHOULD be, but I'm not sure they are. Right now, they have 7 NHL quality defensemen (including Faulk) with Bean, McKeown, and Fox in the wings so they clearly don't need an NHL defenseman back. As Wally said on our board, they currently have 8 guys that are solid options for top 9 forwards: Aho, TT, Staal, Williams, Necas, Svechnikov, Ferland, and McGinn. They have a host of options to fill that 9th spot (Rask, Wallmark, Zykov, Saarela, Maenalanen, Di Guisseppe, Kuokkanen, Foegele). Not all of those guys are going to pan out, but right now, they only need 1 of them to and I think they are going to give guys like Zykov every chance to do so.

Clearly, if a good forward comes back in the deal, they aren't going to pass it up as you always want to make the team better, it's just that I'm not sure the team is looking for that necessarily (vs. just trying to get the best deal if they should move him).

Reactions: sheriff bart

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Give me your best separate offers for both Skinner and Faulk.
Well cosidering that the Canes have the best group of young d i think Faulk will either be moved for a top 6 forward or a gritty stay at home dman since Dougie will be #1, Pesce #2 I can't see them deploying him on the 3rd pairing.

Offer #1 Sven and plus a 3rd. Or Guddy straight up. Considering what they got for Skinner, and the fact Faulk is not a 3rd pairing type of D. I think this is pretty fair. If Sven stays healthy. he can easily be a 20 goal 30-40 assist player.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Well cosidering that the Canes have the best group of young d i think Faulk will either be moved for a top 6 forward or a gritty stay at home dman since Dougie will be #1, Pesce #2 I can't see them deploying him on the 3rd pairing.

Offer #1 Sven and plus a 3rd. Or Guddy straight up. Considering what they got for Skinner, and the fact Faulk is not a 3rd pairing type of D. I think this is pretty fair. If Sven stays healthy. he can easily be a 20 goal 30-40 assist player.

Not a chance in hell Faulk is moved for a defenseman.

Slavin - Pesce
CDH - Hamilton
Fleury - TVR

Then add Carrick, Bean, McKeown in the ahl and good looking prospects like Fox and Martin. Defense is not a need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad