Skating Machine

ctrules

Mar 29, 2005
Hey i was wondering if anyone here has used/bought one of those skating machines. I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if they acutally work or if anyone has any comments/experiences to share about them.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I saw something once, it was like a treadmill for ice skates, at a really high angle. Like, 30 degrees, maybe more. It looked like it was a good piece of training equipment. There was a vomit bucket beside it, too. I want something like that, but I don't know if it's manufactured, or if it was a custom made thing, and I doubt they're cheap enough for at-home use.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
I saw something once, it was like a treadmill for ice skates, at a really high angle. Like, 30 degrees, maybe more. It looked like it was a good piece of training equipment. There was a vomit bucket beside it, too. I want something like that, but I don't know if it's manufactured, or if it was a custom made thing, and I doubt they're cheap enough for at-home use.

Vomit bucket? 30 degree angle? That thing sounds like death.

I think companies should make an elliptical-like machine to replicate the skating motion instead of the walking/running motion - that motion is better at building muscles while doing cardio.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
you must be referring to the skating treadmill. They are about $60,000 and are growing in popularity.

http://www.accelerationmn.com/

There is also a perfect skater contraption, but have not heard if they are any good.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Skating Machines

Guys, there is a product out there that is far less expensive than you think.
The "Power Skater" retails for $780 U.S. with additional accessories such as resistance cables also available.
Check out this website:
http://www.powerskater.com/Products.htm

nni

Dec 29, 2005
that skate treadmill on the angle will do more damage than good.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
It actually lengthens your stride and improves your form. It is a nice supplementary piece of equipment. They have them all over the twin cities, and the Gopher hockey team has one just for themselves. It also useful for getting back to the ice quicker after injuries.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Guys, there is a product out there that is far less expensive than you think.
The "Power Skater" retails for $780 U.S. with additional accessories such as resistance cables also available.
Check out this website:
http://www.powerskater.com/Products.htm

To me this looks not quite right for technique, though I am sure it would help develop some of the key muscles. This one IMO would develop the "takeoff" muscles, early acceleration from a complete stop, but less so for top speed. Compare with the heiden slide board, where the lateral push builds straight line speed.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
that skate treadmill on the angle will do more damage than good.

The angle is there to allow you lean forward like you would when skating at speed while remaining dynamically motionless. I've heard they're great tools for analyzing strides and fixing problems. Lucia swears by theirs.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
talking to a physical therapist who specializes in athletes, he had not one good thing to say about it. ill trust the professionals opinion ;)

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
Don't tell that to the Potulny boys. They both had their rehabs from serious injuries dramatically reduced when they were with the Gophers. They were both supposed to miss the rest of the year, but both came back during the year. I have used it and it does help quite a bit with the skating, and if you look at the video on the web site, many NHL and college players use it as a supplemental training device.

The people at these facilities are professional trainers and therapists, so I guess it is one professional vs. the other.

sorno

Jun 23, 2006
One thing to note. You do not start out at an incline. You may go weeks before significant incline in introduced. It is a great tool, but usually costs about $30 per 1/2 hour session

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->