Post-Game Talk: Skating back to Winnipeg - Jets 1, Wild 4

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Does anyone know what would happen if Chiarot would have left his position to chase Koivu and had fallen to center ice after Koivu had turned towards Jets net with the puck?

Chiarot was not in line up so it must have been someone else, so lets give credit for amazing skating ability of Koivu on a play :)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Overall a meh game.
Give Minnesota some credit too , they had a game plan and executed to a tee.
A well earned break which we are entering into with a pretty good record wouldn’t you say ?
I hope the team has a good break and I believe they will come back very refocused.
I’m not worried this year like the previous 6 seasons
See ya next week

PS Sip great time to detox we need your liver until June

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It was your boy Dano who couldn't keep up and really made the third line suck. That was Dano's last game in top9 and for good reason.

Lol sure just go with that. Ignore all the evidence of Dano being a better scorer than Armia or Copp. And nice selective quotations where I said it was Dano's worst game since he got back into roster.

I can't believe how the media and many fans have latched onto Maurice's meaningless "pace" saying. You know who plays with zero "pace"? Sidney Crosby. The idea of "pace" being important is ridiculous. Just a buzzword to defend fast straight line skaters above real hockey players.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Some mad, some not, I'm MEH. I was swearing lots during this one. Myers was awful. Perro was good. Thought Helly played quite well. Really need some bodies back. Still in 1st place. All in all, not a bad place to be at this juncture.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ummm... pretty funny to compare Dano to Laine.

You're overly harsh on Roslovic. He was a ton better than Dano. Both he and Lemieux have been highly productive at the AHL level, if it's production you use as the key metric.

Enstrom was really weak defensively. He needs to be much more aggressive defending the slot and around the goal, regardless of size.
Theres a pretty obvious pattern:

Lemieux bad, Dano good. Doesn't seem to matter the input.

The whole team sucked last night. You could tell they were trying to find it but the Wild had all the jump and our entire team just looked gassed.

The Jets seem to look more tired on b2b's than other teams (I notice that when we play them). There is some facet of the team's training, practice or schedule that does this to them. I know we play an aggressive style but it's more than that.

Reactions: Ippenator

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Theres a pretty obvious pattern:

Lemieux bad, Dano good. Doesn't seem to matter the input.

Lol. You guys clearly have an agenda to try to discredit me for some reason (it seems to be crime to not see the game the exact same way as Maurice these days). I already said Dano had his worst game since returning the lineup. There's a really funny thing where people accuse of being biased since they just ignore when I criticize players I support.

Not sure what game you were watching if you thought Lemieux was serviceable, he couldn't hold onto the puck last night to save his life.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lol. You guys clearly have an agenda to try to discredit me for some reason (it seems to be crime to not see the game the exact same way as Maurice these days). I already said Dano had his worst game since returning the lineup. There's a really funny thing where people accuse of being biased since they just ignore when I criticize players I support.

Not sure what game you were watching if you thought Lemieux was serviceable, he couldn't hold onto the puck last night to save his life.

Holden, I honestly do not care if people value your opinion or not. I've already stated I think you know hockey but you seem to get stuck on players being something and you can't let go or admit your wrong.

You hated Lemieux when we acquired him. Seething hate. No matter what he does in his career you will hate him. This is not about one game in isolation. This is also not about Maurice for me. It's about evaluating players in the most honest way possible (we are all biased to some extent).

Lemieux has not looked bad in the role he is expected to play. He's obviously not a high skill high hockey IQ player but he's acquitted himself nicely in his call ups.

Dano, as I've stated before hasn't been 'bad' but he doesn't do enough out there to take a spot from a player who is playing a role when we are healthy. That's the problem with him. He could learn a lot from Tanev.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,

I don't think anyone is trying to discredit you. I can tell people respect your takes on here and I certainly do, but most on here don't see the below like you do:
Ignore all the evidence of Dano being a better scorer than Armia or Copp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Holden, I honestly do not care if people value your opinion or not. I've already stated I think you know hockey but you seem to get stuck on players being something and you can't let go or admit your wrong.

You hated Lemieux when we acquired him. Seething hate. No matter what he does in his career you will hate him. This is not about one game in isolation. This is also not about Maurice for me. It's about evaluating players in the most honest way possible (we are all biased to some extent).

Lemieux has not looked bad in the role he is expected to play. He's obviously not a high skill high hockey IQ player but he's acquitted himself nicely in his call ups.

Dano, as I've stated before hasn't been 'bad' but he doesn't do enough out there to take a spot from a player who is playing a role when we are healthy. That's the problem with him. He could learn a lot from Tanev.

Lol I've already stated that Lemieux has taken a big step forward this year. He has certainly put himself on the radar as a potential depth player, IF he can stay smart in the penalty department. But he looked horrendous last night. Unlike his earlier call-up where he was ok most of the time.

Dano is one thing. Damn productive in his icetime. He was all over the net in the past few games. He did not look great last night for sure, but really no one did. And if you watched the details it was honestly Armia that struggled mightily to get the puck out (he had several bad turnovers trying to clear the puck last night). Dano did nothing of note at all, and should not be praised at all, which is why I only mentioned him in my original post to say he, Copp, and Armia had their worst games in the past month. Yet no matter what I say you and several others will just try to read into it make up narratives about what I say. It gets super frustrating for me.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Funniest thing is that I admit my mistakes more than anyone else on this forum. Ben Chiarot, Jan Kostalek, Tucker Poolman, Kyle Wellwood, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Alex Burmistrov, and hell I say it right here Matt Hendricks these players I turned out to be completely wrong about in terms of Jets impact. But it's more fun for people to try to take shots at me so they ignore these so they can continue to attack me. Ignoring that I am right FAR FAR more often than I am wrong.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lol I've already stated that Lemieux has taken a big step forward this year. He has certainly put himself on the radar as a potential depth player, IF he can stay smart in the penalty department. But he looked horrendous last night. Unlike his earlier call-up where he was ok most of the time.

Dano is one thing. Damn productive in his icetime. He was all over the net in the past few games. He did not look great last night for sure, but really no one did. And if you watched the details it was honestly Armia that struggled mightily to get the puck out (he had several bad turnovers trying to clear the puck last night). Dano did nothing of note at all, and should not be praised at all, which is why I only mentioned him in my original post to say he, Copp, and Armia had their worst games in the past month. Yet no matter what I say you and several others will just try to read into it make up narratives about what I say. It gets super frustrating for me.

Why are you so hooked on conspiracy?

We are conspiring against you. The Jets are conspiring against a player that you like.

Maybe people just see things differently from you? *shrugs*

I will agree - everyone looked like ass last night. Singling anyone out would be silly.

I want Dano to be good. I was so pumped to get him from the Hawks - and thought we stole one. It's starting to become evident why they were so willing to part with him. However, I am not quite ready to give up on him yet.

The problem is (as it is with Petan) that we are talking about a smallish, skilled, forward who isn't especially fast. Skill, sure, but if what you are going to be is a skilled scorer, you are going to have to do it better than the players we have available for that role on this team. These guys need to be better than:

Scheifele
Ehlers
Laine
Wheeler
Little
Connor

I know people say there is no top 6 bottom 6, but there is. Top 2 lines provide the lions share of your scoring. The 3rd line checks the other teams top line, and if you are lucky provides good secondary scoring. The 4th line, some suggest should be a scoring line as well which is great IF those players don't bleed goals when they are on the ice. Our 4th lines job is to provide energy, establish the forecheck and wear the other team out.

We have good players in all of our roles. Can we upgrade on Hendricks and Tanev? Sure, there's always an upgrade available. But I don't think it's within the org for the role they are playing.

If Dano was smart he would get a hell of a lot better at being physical and hard on pucks. He could easily take the job from Tanev if he played... more like Tanev. Better yet, he could take Hendricks job and we could have Tanev and Dano playing like that.

There is hope for Dano that he will get it here - but more likely he'll move on. I know Petan is done here because he cannot play that style, and he will never be better than the players in our top 6 unless we have a terrible run of injuries

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why are you so hooked on conspiracy?

We are conspiring against you. The Jets are conspiring against a player that you like.

Maybe people just see things differently from you? *shrugs*

I will agree - everyone looked like ass last night. Singling anyone out would be silly.

I want Dano to be good. I was so pumped to get him from the Hawks - and thought we stole one. It's starting to become evident why they were so willing to part with him. However, I am not quite ready to give up on him yet.

The problem is (as it is with Petan) that we are talking about a smallish, skilled, forward who isn't especially fast. Skill, sure, but if what you are going to be is a skilled scorer, you are going to have to do it better than the players we have available for that role on this team. These guys need to be better than:

Scheifele
Ehlers
Laine
Wheeler
Little
Connor

I know people say there is no top 6 bottom 6, but there is. Top 2 lines provide the lions share of your scoring. The 3rd line checks the other teams top line, and if you are lucky provides good secondary scoring. The 4th line, some suggest should be a scoring line as well which is great IF those players don't bleed goals when they are on the ice. Our 4th lines job is to provide energy, establish the forecheck and wear the other team out.

We have good players in all of our roles. Can we upgrade on Hendricks and Tanev? Sure, there's always an upgrade available. But I don't think it's within the org for the role they are playing.

If Dano was smart he would get a hell of a lot better at being physical and hard on pucks. He could easily take the job from Tanev if he played... more like Tanev. Better yet, he could take Hendricks job and we could have Tanev and Dano playing like that.

There is hope for Dano that he will get it here - but more likely he'll move on. I know Petan is done here because he cannot play that style, and he will never be better than the players in our top 6 unless we have a terrible run of injuries

Yeah I'm all about conspiracy. Lol, you know nothing about me clearly, I am the first to condemn conspiracy crap.

I've always stated that it's merely a talent evaluation issue with Maurice. And as I've stated above it's not a conspiracy, it's just more fun and easier to attack me. Occam's Razor.

Dano is a player that would thrive with a modern coach. Maurice has them winning with an outdated style, so good on him. I'm loving it. How sustainable the top 6, checking line, "energy line" style is is yet to be seen.

That doesn't mean I can't say that I wish the team would optimize and move towards a modern style. Fast low IQ players like Tanev are the past, not the future. Sorry that the game is changing away from what you grew up with (as did I) but it's the truth.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Funniest thing is that I admit my mistakes more than anyone else on this forum. Ben Chiarot, Jan Kostalek, Tucker Poolman, Kyle Wellwood, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Alex Burmistrov, and hell I say it right here Matt Hendricks these players I turned out to be completely wrong about in terms of Jets impact. But it's more fun for people to try to take shots at me so they ignore these so they can continue to attack me. Ignoring that I am right FAR FAR more often than I am wrong.
PS I have felt like you before on this board. I have been a man on an island, and felt like I was being attacked and ganged up on. I did not like it (I actually disappeared for a while). I don't want to make you feel that way. Even though we often disagree, I truly believe differences of opinions and other theories and POV's are what make this board worth visiting. I have learned a LOT from this board, and I have really tried to keep an open mind.

I think you are an important part of that diversity and learning.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
PS I have felt like you before on this board. I have been a man on an island, and felt like I was being attacked and ganged up on. I did not like it (I actually disappeared for a while). I don't want to make you feel that way. Even though we often disagree, I truly believe differences of opinions and other theories and POV's are what make this board worth visiting. I have learned a LOT from this board, and I have really tried to keep an open mind.

I think you are an important part of that diversity and learning.

The Byfuglien thing? It's a very similiar situation I am in. You would praise him at times, but no one would acknowledge those times and just accuse you of having an anti-Byfuglien agenda. I remember that well. It's the same thing right here, I have not defended Dano's game last night at all in this thread.

Reactions: Jet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If you have to lose a game I prefer losing one going into the break. Our team can use this time off to get healthier.

Really happy with where things are at this season and am loving being in the hunt.

Reactions: Jet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wait what? When did I EVER compare Laine to Dano? Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Roslovic who was beyond a mess in the defensive zone is better than decent defensive zone Dano? Dano has shown awesome NHL 2nd/3rd line production with solid defensive zone responsibility. Roslovic has 0 NHL points despite #1 PP deployment, his hockey IQ is not at all ready for NHL deployment. Lemieux has zero NHL production, and if you can't see this game showed how far beyond NHL puck control is for him, I don't know how to help you.

Enstrom did struggle in this game. I stated that above.
Your last sentence linked them as players. I think it's a linkage that flatters Dano, which was perhaps the rhetorical intention.

I tend to agree with you that Dano is more effective than he is often perceived, but I think your opinion of him is higher than mine. I also find that you often criticize his perceived roster competitors with excessive harshness.

Reactions: Guerzy

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If you have to lose a game I prefer losing one going into the break. Our team can use this time off to get healthier.

Really happy with where things are at this season and am loving being in the hunt.
Is this your "Aaaaaaannnnywayyyyyyys" post? :laugh:

Reactions: Duke749

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is this your "Aaaaaaannnnywayyyyyyys" post? :laugh:

Not at all I think you and Holden are having a good back and forth and I have been enjoying the conversation. Neither of you guys are scared to take a contrarian position and hold your ground if you believe in your point of view. Nice healthy back and forth and if we all agreed this place would be too boring.

I Didn't get much of a chance to comment on the game since I have had a busy weekend so I was just chiming in.

Reactions: sipowicz and Jet

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I feel like Maurice has seen what he needs to see out of Dano and the kid will be moved. I would have A few Moose players (Roslo, Lemieux, Petan) ahead of him on our depth chart and would prefer they get ice time. Last night included, he just has not impressed me and I suspect the coaching staff feels the same.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
How were you wrong about Hendricks? Did you expect him to be good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->