Post-Game Talk: Skating back to Winnipeg - Jets 1, Wild 4

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Player post-game audio: Perreault, Morrissey & Wheeler.

Coach Maurice post-game scrum topics: Thoughts on the game. Is the break coming at the right time? What was his message to the group on the way out. Did he like what Perreault brought to the top line? Was he surprised they didn’t get more of a lift from the 5 on 3?

To listen click here.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
They went into the Christmas break or taste in their mouths after a couple of losses. They came out after the Christmas break and got points out of their next 7 games and if I remember correctly I don't think they had a regulation loss in there. Here's hoping they come out of this break in much the same way.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Lowry would have been against Parise line all night and schiefele vs Koivu. But injury happens and team is not doing bad. Jets able to still withstand the pressure and you see it in the standing.

For me, Jets win 2 more games than they lose without Schiefele I call it a good run. Now Losing both Schiefele and Lowry that hurts. Team will adjust and they will find soft spots on the team specially when Jets play on the road.

Jets are still good but
they can't run 4 solid lines right now.

Wheeler is a capable at C but he needs someone else to take the tough match up. It's already hard enough to score every 2nd game. Try to stop other teams top line from scoring every night, that is really hard.............. Your offense will suffer as well.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Too bad the Jets players started their break after the Sabres game!

Helly was just okay, couple soft ones.

Buff and Enstrom the worst pairing!

Gramps too slow and the kids not good, Roslo kind of a bright spot on O, putrid Defensively, Dano too slow and not a real NHL level talent.

Laine needs more work than it even looked like last season.

Reactions: Gotaf7 and Critical

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I won’t rehash what has already been said other than to say that Roslovic is a very talented young player.
But, I do have a question. In a game where the Jets come out flat and need a lift, where is big Buff and his bone crushing hits? In these types of games, why doesn’t our assistant captain do what he does best and paste a couple guys to the boards in hopes of waking up our team?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Team went on break early for some reason. Better play better when we are back. Good teams don’t get blown out by bad teams like Minnesota. On the bright side at least we didn’t sign Parise and Suter to those terrible contracts :laugh:

Reactions: SouthNash

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
That game was seriously missing the Lowry

How many times did you see Wheeler standing still waiting for the puck to come to him? Odd to see him waiting for the game to come to him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Too bad the Jets players started their break after the Sabres game!

Helly was just okay, couple soft ones.

Buff and Enstrom the worst pairing!

Gramps too slow and the kids not good, Roslo kind of a bright spot on O, putrid Defensively, Dano too slow and not a real NHL level talent.

Laine needs more work than it even looked like last season.

You'd think you'd get used to being wrong, but you keep trying it.

Hellebuyck was solid in his B2B, as much as you can expect from a G in a B2B.

Buff and Enstrom were fine. I got upset at Buff at times, but he made as many good plays as bad, if not more. He is a high risk, high reward player, it'd be nice if HFJets just started to understand that.

Ok here I agree. Lemieux was a complete goddamn mess with no redeeming qualities. He needs to be sent back ASAP. Roslovic has been a mess in past two games defensively, he needs more work. What I have heard from other Moose players is that Lemieux and Roslovic are not very intelligent off-ice (trying to be diplomatic) so it will take them some time understand intricacies of NHL game.

No matter what you think of Dano he keeps doing one thing incredibly well...he is productive as all hell. He scores at a 2nd/3rd line rate no matter the circumstances. He did not have the greatest game tonight for sure (and I said as much earlier) but he just scores, it's what he does. The backlash against him for that is hilarious to me.

Laine was just more Laine. He struggles with puck control, forecheck, neutral zone and defensive zone reads, yet he is one thing above all else...PRODUCTIVE. The guy just scores.

In the end the goal of hockey is just to score more than the opponant. Laine, Dano, etc that don't look good but fact remains is that they score goddamn goals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Buff and Enstrom were fine. I got upset at Buff at times, but he made as many good plays as bad, if not more. He is a high risk, high reward player, it'd be nice if HFJets just started to understand that.

Ok here I agree. Lemieux was a complete goddamn mess with no redeeming qualities. He needs to be sent back ASAP. Roslovic has been a mess in past two games defensively, he needs more work. What I have heard from other Moose players is that Lemieux and Roslovic are not very intelligent off-ice (trying to be diplomatic) so it will take them some time understand intricacies of NHL game.

No matter what you think of Dano he keeps doing one thing incredibly well...he is productive as all hell. He scores at a 2nd/3rd line rate no matter the circumstances. He did not have the greatest game tonight for sure (and I said as much earlier) but he just scores, it's what he does. The backlash against him for that is hilarious to me.

Laine was just more Laine. He struggles with puck control, forecheck, neutral zone and defensive zone reads, yet he is one thing above all else...PRODUCTIVE. The guy just scores.

In the end the goal of hockey is just to score more than the opponant. Laine, Dano, etc that don't look good but fact remains is that they score goddamn goals.
Ummm... pretty funny to compare Dano to Laine.

You're overly harsh on Roslovic. He was a ton better than Dano. Both he and Lemieux have been highly productive at the AHL level, if it's production you use as the key metric.

Enstrom was really weak defensively. He needs to be much more aggressive defending the slot and around the goal, regardless of size.

Reactions: Ippenator

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Gotta give some credit for the Wild also. They gave absolutely no room in the 1st and we were not ready for that. I was thinking that they just can't keep that up for the whole game and in the 2nd the game evened up possession wise. In their end they were pretty aggressive for the whole game and thus didn't make anything easy for the Jets.
I was wondering after two periods that how many times did Armia actually touch the puck? 'Cause at first I thought that he had had a bad game at that point, but then I realized that I don't think I've seen him doing anything than chasing the puck and defending. Well that SH breakaway was in 2nd I think. And I'm not saying that he was particularly good, but no one was.
I think Helle was keeping us in that game, and Roslo had some good moments, but that 4th line was really suffering from Lemieux's play. Also I felt like 3rd line's game died every time Dano got the puck.
And thumbs up for Maurice for reacting after 1st. Perreault <-> Connor swap was a good one.
On to the break. And Wheeler and Helle; please don't break yourself in that AS event ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ummm... pretty funny to compare Dano to Laine.

You're overly harsh on Roslovic. He was a ton better than Dano. Both he and Lemieux have been highly productive at the AHL level, if it's production you use as the key metric.

Enstrom was really weak defensively. He needs to be much more aggressive defending the slot and around the goal, regardless of size.
Wait what? When did I EVER compare Laine to Dano? Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Roslovic who was beyond a mess in the defensive zone is better than decent defensive zone Dano? Dano has shown awesome NHL 2nd/3rd line production with solid defensive zone responsibility. Roslovic has 0 NHL points despite #1 PP deployment, his hockey IQ is not at all ready for NHL deployment. Lemieux has zero NHL production, and if you can't see this game showed how far beyond NHL puck control is for him, I don't know how to help you.

Enstrom did struggle in this game. I stated that above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
If you think Buff/Toby was the worst pair you musn't have been looking at the screen when Kuli/Myers were on the ice.....woof

judging from their last 2 games the break is welcome

Reactions: Robinson2187

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

One of these things is not like the other

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What a brutal game , i'm not going to single out any one player , the whole team was brutal . There are lots of reasons or excuses they played so bad but i hope we don't see that again . This game reminded me of some of our games from last season , not good . Hopefully the break is coming at the right time .

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

Jets were due for a break...

191349.gif

Pilots ejection seats engaged...

image.gif

Time for some needed

53032-I-On-Vacation.jpg

rest and relaxation.

OHnjeYm.gif

Right?

Well bounce right back into form in the wins column
right after the break

bouncing2_09.gif

Don't drop the ball Jets...

shakira.gif

And NO...
I am not...
Monkeying around...
KatyPerrysBoobs_08.gif

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think you can blame this loss on any couple of players -- the Jet's came out flat, and played with no desire and intensity. All teams have those types of games. I hope we can get Tanev and Lowry back, and get back to our winning ways, as losing doesn't suit this talented team.

I guess playing back to back games took away some energy, but I'm not sure you can use that as an excuse, because the players knew their break was coming. I would think these back to back games are more demanding, but the great teams will suck it up, and give all they have -"the Jet's did not."

We do have to remember we have "key pieces missing " -Scheif, Lowry, and Tanev-- and that's a lot of talent to make up for. Seems we do a lot better, if there are defenseman out, rather than forwards. We need scoring, and losing forwards really affects this. Also having guys like Lowry and Tanev that are hard backcheckers, keeps a lot of goals out of our net.

You know -- I just don't see how Dano belongs on this team. He has not bad hands for tip ins, deflections etc. -- but I never see him making an impact out there.- "invisible."

Last edited:

thetracksuit

Nov 25, 2015
Didn't even watch this one I just had a feeling the boys were going to mail this one in.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Didn't even watch this one I just had a feeling the boys were going to mail this one in.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.
Accurate. Aside from a very select few (mainly Ehlers, Trouba, Little, Helle), the overall performance was garbage. The worrying part is that it was not all about effort, either.

Man, if someone had stated that Adam Lowry's absence would affect us this much at the beginning of the season, nobody would have believed them. Scheifele cannot come back too soon either. The CWL experiment needs to end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->