Skates used in the NHL?

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
Does anyone know any sites which gives data on what skates are being used in the NHL. I always see pics of players with the Bauer Vapor XXX and wonder if these are the most popular?

Was also wondering if any players use any really basic mid range skates.

Thanks.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
There is no site that I know of. Players can use any skate that is approved by the league which is most models on sale. A lot players will have the skates customized for them (you can to for an extra $150).

The most popular ones I've seen are the Bauer XXX. Some players still have XXs, Yashin had ancient X's but has switched this season.

Some players are also playing with the newest model form Bauer, the Supreme 190s although not all of them are using the longer, clear runner that it comes from the factory with.

There are a few players who are wearing Nike's now, but not many.

CCMs do not seem as popular as they were back in the day. The highest profil player wearing their Vector series is Alex Ovechkin. The Vectors have not sold well from my experience. They are extremely stiff. Many players wear Custom Tacks that are made for them by CCM.

Rbk (Reebok for the abbreviated-impaired) has two models that players are using. The 9k pump and the 8k. The 8k is basically the 9k sans pump.

I see some Europeans wearing Grafs (not sure the models) and a small number with Missions, but none from the newer models.

As you can see, most players do not use mid-range skates. I would assume because of the longevity of the skate. Also, the majority of them have some custom work done on them either coming from the factory or done by their teams training staff. Some might do the work themselves.

Hope this helps.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Vapors are the most used skate in the NHL, pretty easily. I'm not sure why though..

They are light and extremely stiff while providing excellent comfort. I've heard soemthing about being able to restitch parts of the skate that you can't on other brands, but I'm not positive on that :dunno:

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
Don't forget eastons.

BTW there is plenty of players in Vector skates.

Also, many skates are made to look like other skates, namely (made to look like) the one90 skate.

theres only one skate that looks identical to the one90 and thats the bauer supreme 50's that i have look eaxactly like the one90's but have the regular tuuk blade instead of the fastblade(the ugly clearblue things)

cstu

May 6, 2004
theres only one skate that looks identical to the one90 and thats the bauer supreme 50's that i have look eaxactly like the one90's but have the regular tuuk blade instead of the fastblade(the ugly clearblue things)

A lot of guys in the NHL have older Bauer models that are made up to look like one90's. One example is Naslund.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com

No, there is more than a couple guys wearing skates that are made to look like the one90. And the supreme 70/50/30s don't look like the one90s besides the little blue logo and the holder.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Just from watching games I seem to notice more X60s out there than anything else, but people should keep in mind that pros have skates made to custom specs, whereas retail Vapors have a specific fit (with a reasonably narrow forefoot and not a tonne of volume) that may or may not be a good fit for your feet.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Just from watching games I seem to notice more X60s out there than anything else, but people should keep in mind that pros have skates made to custom specs, whereas retail Vapors have a specific fit (with a reasonably narrow forefoot and not a tonne of volume) that may or may not be a good fit for your feet.

actually, it's been stated several times on msh that most skates worn in the nhl are off the shelf.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
X:60's, Supreme One90, MLX, Graf 703, unsure of the Easton model as I am not a fan of their products other than their sticks.

i'd be shocked if anyone in the show is still using one90's. most guys using supremes are using to's or one95's from last year. also, mlx only has a handful of guys in their skates...if that. finally, most pro's in grafs are not wearing the 7 series but in ultra G.

macgyverthatshiz

Apr 3, 2010
North Carolina
i'd be shocked if anyone in the show is still using one90's. most guys using supremes are using to's or one95's from last year. also, mlx only has a handful of guys in their skates...if that. finally, most pro's in grafs are not wearing the 7 series but in ultra G.

Uhmmm...yea...I look like a fool, more research will prevent me from looking like an idiot in the future :shakehead

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
actually, it's been stated several times on msh that most skates worn in the nhl are off the shelf.
Really? I've heard a bunch of times that NHLers mostly wear custom skates, with 1/4 sizes, more forefoot/heel widths, choice of liner, different sizes for different feet if necessary, etc. Probably the same options you'd get if you get custom skates as a retail customer, but still custom skates. I've only seen a handful of pro return skates but they've come in 1/4 and even 1/8 sizes, with hand written info on the insole, not what you'd get off the shelf.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Really? I've heard a bunch of times that NHLers mostly wear custom skates, with 1/4 sizes, more forefoot/heel widths, choice of liner, different sizes for different feet if necessary, etc. Probably the same options you'd get if you get custom skates as a retail customer, but still custom skates. I've only seen a handful of pro return skates but they've come in 1/4 and even 1/8 sizes, with hand written info on the insole, not what you'd get off the shelf.

not saying that a lot of pro's don't go custom, but it's been said that the majority use off-the-rack skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad