Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Then N9000 will very likely be too stiff for you then, might prohibit the learning of proper habits like edgework and proper knee bend if they're too stiff.
I’m not opposed to used vs new (although his mom may be...), but the models I’ve seen online weren’t too expensive, $45 to $60, brand new. What website would you recommend to find good used gear?

He can likely be sized in one of our local rink pro shops. Hadn’t even dawned on me.
Then why not just take him to a local shop to try on some fits and buy from them? Can't emphasize enough the importance of trying on different skates in person. Don't just use your local rink shop as a sizing station either, give them the sale if there's something proper!

Stores like Play it Again Sports should have some used skates as well. They're always a go-to.
Does anyone have any tips about sizing skates for women? I'm tempted to get my girlfriend her first pair of skates for the holidays. We've skated a few times but she always has to wear rentals and she hates it understandably. Thinking about ordering her some starter skates from a site with a solid return policy in case they don't fit well, but I'd like to have the best odds of a good fit at least.

Nothing different in particular. Anyway to buy from somewhere where she can try on a few pairs?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
a probable silly question, but is it better to get a pair of skates that are a little tight or a little loose if having to choose between the 2?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
a probable silly question, but is it better to get a pair of skates that are a little tight or a little loose if having to choose between the 2?
Tight; you can always heat mold them again so they expand and fit better. Regular break-in could also help. You could also stretch a skate to make it wider, or punch out a hot spot.

You can 'tighten up' a skate per se.

Reactions: Bood12

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I’m having a problem with pain on the bottom outside arch of both feet after skating. I’ve had a pair of Bauer Supreme Total One MX3 for over a year and skate a few times week and haven’t really had a problem until a couple months ago.

Once I take my skates off the pain is excruciating. Right in this area
VYPAlJ1.jpg

On both feet.

I can loosen that area of the skate while keeping the toes and ankle tight, but I prefer a tight snug fit when I play.

I guess my questions are:

1) Will an insole like Superfeet help this issue?

2) Could my skate size be too big? I was back and forth on sizes and maybe I should be a half size smaller. Would a half size too big cause a problem like this?

3) Would getting my skates stretched out help?

Thanks for any help you can give AIREAYE!

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I’m having a problem with pain on the bottom outside arch of both feet after skating. I’ve had a pair of Bauer Supreme Total One MX3 for over a year and skate a few times week and haven’t really had a problem until a couple months ago.

Once I take my skates off the pain is excruciating. Right in this area
On both feet.

I can loosen that area of the skate while keeping the toes and ankle tight, but I prefer a tight snug fit when I play.

I guess my questions are:

1) Will an insole like Superfeet help this issue?

2) Could my skate size be too big? I was back and forth on sizes and maybe I should be a half size smaller. Would a half size too big cause a problem like this?

3) Would getting my skates stretched out help?

Thanks for any help you can give AIREAYE!

1) Tough to say, it could or could not; depends on a lot of factors especially how your heel/arch sits with the skate. Difficult to gauge if it will help even if you try it on dryland; need to skate with them to find out. I wouldn't really consider this your priority though...

2) That's a separate issue, a skate too large/wide may allow room for rubbing, but that doesn't seem to be your issue here is it? It's more pressure?

3) A fresh heat molding would be what I would try first, then re-assess to see if it's a hot spot or a width issue. Hot spots can be punched out. Width would require a stretch. Try the heat mold first and try to 'squeeze' out the area after the skates are hot and tied back up on your feet for the cool down period.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
1) Tough to say, it could or could not; depends on a lot of factors especially how your heel/arch sits with the skate. Difficult to gauge if it will help even if you try it on dryland; need to skate with them to find out. I wouldn't really consider this your priority though...

2) That's a separate issue, a skate too large/wide may allow room for rubbing, but that doesn't seem to be your issue here is it? It's more pressure?

3) A fresh heat molding would be what I would try first, then re-assess to see if it's a hot spot or a width issue. Hot spots can be punched out. Width would require a stretch. Try the heat mold first and try to 'squeeze' out the area after the skates are hot and tied back up on your feet for the cool down period.

Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it.

I will go ahead and try to get them baked again. When you say to “try and squeeze out the area”, do you mean stand up in the skates during the tied up cool down period?

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Superfeet Carbon Pro Hockey after reading how much it’s helped people. I’ll report back when I receive them and give them a go.

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
AIREAYE, have you skated on the new Super tacks yet? I'm digging the one piece design and thinking trying them, LHS is starting to discount them by 30%

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it.

I will go ahead and try to get them baked again. When you say to “try and squeeze out the area”, do you mean stand up in the skates during the tied up cool down period?

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Superfeet Carbon Pro Hockey after reading how much it’s helped people. I’ll report back when I receive them and give them a go.
I meant when you're sitting in them, use your hands to press down, in effect 'squeezing out' that area of the skate. You could even put a little weight on them by sitting more forward on the chair. I wouldn't recommend standing in them.

Any Superfeet product is worth trying, particularly the Yellow or Carbon as they have a 30 day return policy, so even if you try them and they don't help, you can return them used!
AIREAYE, have you skated on the new Super tacks yet? I'm digging the one piece design and thinking trying them, LHS is starting to discount them by 30%

No I haven't. I like the fit profile of them though, more like Bauer Supreme now. Sorry I can't really offer anything more.

Reactions: goodriddance628

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Installed Powerfoot inserts, a world of difference compared to the previous situation. Ended up using extra shims as well.

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: AIREAYE

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I’m trying to decide whether to pony up the extra money for the CCM Jetspeed vs the Jetspeed 300. I am relatively new to Hockey 4 years but I am 250 ish pounds and wore through a pair of crazy lights in about two years. I’m picky about footwear in other sports so a think I might put too much emphasis on the top models. Anybody have any advice I have been google searching my ass off.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
For the old models, you're talking about $480 vs $400. I do simple math when making these decisions. Let's say you get 3 years out of the 300s. Even if you only get an extra year out of the Jetspeeds, it is worth it. $80 is nothing really when it comes to skates.

For me, the difference in price was too substantial to go from the Vapor x700 to the x800 or x900. My skate shelf life is typically 3 years before I've broken the boot down to the point it is impacting my skating. I'd have to get 2 extra years out of the x800s for it to be worth the money. Three extra years for the x900s. I just don't see me getting 5+ years out of ANY skates with how often I'm on the ice and how hard I am on the boot.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks again AIREAYE, I baked my skates again and switched to a thin dress sock and the pain hasn’t returned thankfully.

Also just put in those Powerfoot inserts. Anxious to try them out tonight. I’ll report back after.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
For Bauer skates are the blades general? aka can I take them out of my Vapors and put them in my Supremes?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
By the way, for anyone that struggles with heel lock....Stable 26 socks are awesome. And unfortunately, aren't being made anymore. So get them if you need them. I picked up two pairs. :laugh:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Anyone using the '17 1X skates? I currently have the first Bauer APX skates so im looking for a bit of a change. I was wondering if I should shell out for these or maybe wait for the 2X skates.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone can possibly give me a fresh perspective on a skate issue my nephew is having.

He's currently in youth skates size 13 D and is just about to out grow them. My brother got him fitted into S190s in D width size 1 but when he skates in them, he has pain in the middle of his sole. It's not the sides of his foot but dead center. We've tried all sorts of insoles, the ccms. superfeet black, and we've tried putting the insoles from his old skates in, and it's always the same, pain in the middle of the foot.

My brother just took the skates in to be rebaked at a very reputable hockey store, and after two hours consulting with them, they say my nephew has big bones at the side of his foot, and sold my brother on superfeet yellow, despite my nephew saying the arches were way too high for him on those, and previously having superfeet black not work for him, to solve the issue. I'm not pleased about that. My nephew and I have similar feet, and yellow is definitely not the right fit for him.

My brother also took him to see an orthopaedist and they said all he needs to do is wrap his feet until he gets used to the skates and gets stronger.

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on what the issue is. Is it because the new skates are too stiff for him? Are they still a little too big? Are the maybe not wide enough? OR does he just need to suck it up, wrap his feet, and just break the new skates in more?

In terms of skating ability, I'd say he's somewhere in the middle of his age group, great straight line speed, needs to work on his edging more. Tends to go all straight legged when he gets tired.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I hope you took advantage of Superfeet's return policy!

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned the transition between a YOUTH skate to a top end JUNIOR skate is the massive jump in stiffness! It most definitely is not a progressive step between a top end youth skate and top end junior skate.

What that could do is that because it's so stiff, it may not allow the foot/ankle to flex properly, causing stress. Imagine trying to make athletic movements in a leg cast! I know that's an exaggeration, but I hope you get my point.

I suggest he try not lacing the top hole, to allow more forward flex.

Reactions: puckpilot

Ken Erdedy

Feb 15, 2015
Aireaye:

Quick question for you. Which skate provides more value:

A top-of-the-line skate from 2-3 years ago (e.g. CCM JetSpeed or Tacks)

Or

A current skate 2-3 steps down from the top (e.g. JetSpeed FT390 or Tacks 6092)?

I know fit takes precedence over everything else, and am planning on spending a few hours trying on skates this week to upgrade the fit from my X70s. But there are some good deals out there on those old top-end skates so if one of those models fits best I'm trying to decide whether an older top-end is better than today's 2nd or 3rd tier skate. (Obviously I'm looking to be at the $400-ish price point).

Thanks!

Ken Erdedy

Feb 15, 2015
Almost always the former; good question!

Wow thanks for the quick reply.

Does that "almost" extend to the Ribcor 50k being a better value than the 68k? It seems like ditching the pump is a big shift for that line, so wondering if that changes the equation.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I’ve been having issues with my current skates being too big and too narrow, especially in the bod area. I was properly sized at a local shop today for the size and it’s been determined that I would need a wide as all the ones that were “wider” in his shop still did not fit me and he doesn’t order wide skates, so I have no other option other than to order some online.
I am looking at the CCM JetSpeed 280’s in EE.

Does anyone here have the same issue with wide feet and have experience with these? I know everyones feet are different and others experiences aren’t going to be my experience, but just looking for some general feedback.

Found them on clearance here: CCM JetSpeed 280 Senior Ice Hockey Skates Senior Ice Hockey Skates Hockey Skates Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad