Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
AIREAYE, another happy customer here. Bought Ribcore 50k and yeah what a world of difference compared to my old skates. First skate session was weird, i felt locked in and sort of unagile but i expected worse, after an only an hour i felt they were breaking in nicely. No ankle twisting at higher speeds and during tight turns. Baked them once but they remain a little too roomy in the front and they consequently don't feel responsive enough. Since my feet are very narrow i ll probably look for an insoles first instead of trying to bake them one more time.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Roomy which way? Length? Height? Width?

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Height. Length and width are pretty much perfect.
Buy Powerfoot Inserts. I’m guessing you mean the height of the toe box? I’ve been using these for awhile. There’s no negative space in the toe box and they make my skates more comfortable.

Last edited:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Buy Powerfoot Inserts. I’m guessing you mean the height of the toe box? I’ve been using these for awhile. There’s no negative space in the toe box and they make my skates more comfortable.

Yeah toe box only, heel is properly locked down.

Powerfoot Inserts, looks like an interesting solution, will look into that, thanks.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I'll try to get a picture up later but I think my steel is worn down. How much can I push it before I need to get a new pair? I've had these one 60s since 2010 with the original steel.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
You have 7 year old mid-range skates with low steel. I'd start shopping for new skates now. If you're happy with the fit and comfort of your current skates you'll of course want to consider the newer Supreme skates (doesn't have to be the current model - can be the previous line on closeout), but I'd recommend trying on various brands and models as you may find something you like even better.

Don't rush and take your time - you'll probably be fine using your current skates for a few more months so you can wait for the right deal, but you'll likely want new skates within the next 6 months or so anyway. There's really no point in buying new steel for 7 year old mid-range skates.

Reactions: jorbjorb

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
You have 7 year old mid-range skates with low steel. I'd start shopping for new skates now. If you're happy with the fit and comfort of your current skates you'll of course want to consider the newer Supreme skates (doesn't have to be the current model - can be the previous line on closeout), but I'd recommend trying on various brands and models as you may find something you like even better.

Don't rush and take your time - you'll probably be fine using your current skates for a few more months so you can wait for the right deal, but you'll likely want new skates within the next 6 months or so anyway. There's really no point in buying new steel for 7 year old mid-range skates.
The guy that does my skates just told me the same thing. I should start thinking about new steel or new skate. Boot could probably last another year or two if I decided to put new steel but I think I'm going to retire this pair for game use and just use them on the ODR.

I am definitely going to wait for the right deal in newer upper end supreme skates but it's nice to know that I'm not in a rush to do so.

Thank you.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Will the Nexus N7000 fit exactly the same as Nexus N9000? I saw online that the N7000 are slightly wider in the heel then the N9000. N9000 are what were available for me to try on in a not-so-close, nearby city. I am a 8.0 EE in the Nexus N9000.

Other skates I considered but wasn't able to try on that may fit my wide duck feet are Graf 709 and Makos. Commentary on how these fit by anyone who tried them would be great

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Will the Nexus N7000 fit exactly the same as Nexus N9000? I saw online that the N7000 are slightly wider in the heel then the N9000. N9000 are what were available for me to try on in a not-so-close, nearby city. I am a 8.0 EE in the Nexus N9000.

Other skates I considered but wasn't able to try on that may fit my wide duck feet are Graf 709 and Makos. Commentary on how these fit by anyone who tried them would be great
The key difference between those 2 models that will affect fit and feel is the construction. The N7000 uses a more 'traditional' tech-mesh construction in its boot, while the N9000 uses carbon composite. Because carbon composite is stiffer (but will mold to your feet better, but take longer to break in), it will very likely feel tighter or narrower at first compared to the tech mesh boot. However, the fit 'profile' between the 2 remain the same Nexus style fit. Once you heat mold/break in the N9000 composite boot, it likely won't feel as tight anymore than when it was brand new nad unmolded.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and the Makos in EE fit me well after baking them. Before baking they were a bit narrow in the forefoot. I also tried baking a pair in D width and they were too narrow even after baking.

In older Nexus 800 skates from several years ago it felt like 7.5D fit my forefoot and length, but was too wide in the heel. I wear 8EE Makos -my toes were hard against the cap in 7.5EE and are just barely brushing in the 8EE.

If you're an 8EE in a Nexus then your feet may be even wider than mine. You would likely be looking for an 8.5EE in the Makos or possibly 8EE. Ideally you would want to try both baked to your feet, but with the Makos being discontinued that isn't an easy task.

I have never worn or tried the Graf 709; so can't help with those.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and the Makos in EE fit me well after baking them. Before baking they were a bit narrow in the forefoot. I also tried baking a pair in D width and they were too narrow even after baking.

In older Nexus 800 skates from several years ago it felt like 7.5D fit my forefoot and length, but was too wide in the heel. I wear 8EE Makos -my toes were hard against the cap in 7.5EE and are just barely brushing in the 8EE.

If you're an 8EE in a Nexus then your feet may be even wider than mine. You would likely be looking for an 8.5EE in the Makos or possibly 8EE. Ideally you would want to try both baked to your feet, but with the Makos being discontinued that isn't an easy task.

I have never worn or tried the Graf 709; so can't help with those.

Thanks thats really helpful! So now I feel I can rule out Makos since you definitely have narrower feet - my foot i think is a shoe size 9.0 EEE and D in nexus is definitely too narrow.

The key difference between those 2 models that will affect fit and feel is the construction. The N7000 uses a more 'traditional' tech-mesh construction in its boot, while the N9000 uses carbon composite. Because carbon composite is stiffer (but will mold to your feet better, but take longer to break in), it will very likely feel tighter or narrower at first compared to the tech mesh boot. However, the fit 'profile' between the 2 remain the same Nexus style fit. Once you heat mold/break in the N9000 composite boot, it likely won't feel as tight anymore than when it was brand new nad unmolded.

Will the tech mesh become wider than the carbon after breaking in or will it become equally wide as the carbon after breaking in. Right now a slight widening of the forefoot for the carbon composite would be great. Unfortunately, any wider in the heel and I'm afraid my heel will start sliding around. Thoughts?

(I can get Grafs in any size, 8.0 EEE for example, but would have to buy them without trying them)

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
can you have a foot that is just not meant to fit in a skate? I have tried on every possible skate and size and I am just never able to have a good fit, there is always something wrong, is it possible my feet are abnormal and that a good fitting skate skate is not meant for me? do people have a similar issue and just deal with their skates?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I am just never able to have a good fit, there is always something wrong, is it possible my feet are abnormal and that a good fitting skate skate is not meant for me?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "something wrong"? Sometimes issues go away after the skate gets worn for a while. Other times, adding padding and stuff like that can address problems.

If no retail skate fits you, there's always custom skates like VH from True.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "something wrong"? Sometimes issues go away after the skate gets worn for a while. Other times, adding padding and stuff like that can address problems.

If no retail skate fits you, there's always custom skates like VH from True.

just it might feel good on the foot, but the heel is not locked in, or it might be too tight on the foot and the heel is fine or something along those lines, I am not sure if I am just being to picky, but as I said I have tried on every model and size and width and it is never a good fit, always seems to be something off

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
can you have a foot that is just not meant to fit in a skate? I have tried on every possible skate and size and I am just never able to have a good fit, there is always something wrong, is it possible my feet are abnormal and that a good fitting skate skate is not meant for me? do people have a similar issue and just deal with their skates?
For years I skated with skates that that had toecaps that weren't wide enough. CCM Tacks, then RBK and then Bauer Flexlites. I would get the toecaps stretched wider as much as they could but the LHS were limited in the amount that they could stretch it, and it was never quite enough. It's only when I got VH custom skates that I finally had a properly fitting skate for my foot shape. My heel is average to narrow but my forefoot is wide, and my big toe fans out (almost hammertoe) so a typical toe cap would always cause bunions on the big toe and pinky toe. Only VH could custom build the toecap shape to fit my weird feet.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
just it might feel good on the foot, but the heel is not locked in, or it might be too tight on the foot and the heel is fine or something along those lines, I am not sure if I am just being to picky, but as I said I have tried on every model and size and width and it is never a good fit, always seems to be something off

Yeah, I have similar issues because I have super small feet. I'm an adult and wear 4.5 skates. For example, the Supreme line fits my feet in width and heel lock, but volume around the ankle is an an issue, so I was beginning to get lace bite. I wasn't going to risk messing up my tendons, and all other skates were a no, so I moved into the Nexus line, but that resulted in poor heel lock.

I addressed issues by experimenting with padding and silicone gel pads. Eventually settled into a simple but effective solution. I added felt padding that I got at the dollar store around the ankle area to reduce negative space in the heel and got some powerfoot inserts to do the same for the toe box. Had a small issue with rubbing on one of my small toes, so I put a silicon toe cover over it, and that fixed things. Over all solution was relatively cheap and skates fit fine now. In fact more than fine.

Maybe you can try this and see if it works for you. Otherwise custom skates may be your only option.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks thats really helpful! So now I feel I can rule out Makos since you definitely have narrower feet - my foot i think is a shoe size 9.0 EEE and D in nexus is definitely too narrow.

Will the tech mesh become wider than the carbon after breaking in or will it become equally wide as the carbon after breaking in. Right now a slight widening of the forefoot for the carbon composite would be great. Unfortunately, any wider in the heel and I'm afraid my heel will start sliding around. Thoughts?

(I can get Grafs in any size, 8.0 EEE for example, but would have to buy them without trying them)
Either can definitely widen a bit if you need them too! That's what heat molding does. Even if after heat molding (more than once if necessary) and normal 'break-in' you find them just almost there for width, skates can be stretched wider at the shop.

Heel lock is key; don't sacrifice that!

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
AIREAYE, I’m wanting to buy my 4 year old son some actual hockey skates. He wears a 9 to a 9.5 in toddler size shoe. What would you recommend? I’m looking at a pair of Bauer Supreme S140 Youth, or CCM Ribcor 50k youth.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)

Try on (if you can) the wide sizes of CCM Tacks and Bauer Nexus lines. I recently did this and you will be able to tell instantly if the skate fits appropriately. Never have I ever Put on a skate and my foot slipped in like I was putting on my old baseball glove. I drove over four hours to get to a skate shop which carried the wide sizes and it was 110% worth it. I'm not a pro but I was even able to tell there was a significant improvement in the fit over my current skates.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
AIREAYE, I’m wanting to buy my 4 year old son some actual hockey skates. He wears a 9 to a 9.5 in toddler size shoe. What would you recommend? I’m looking at a pair of Bauer Supreme S140 Youth, or CCM Ribcor 50k youth.
Can you go somewhere to have him get sized, and try on a few pairs?

Also, any particular reason why you want to buy new as opposed to used?
Worth the extra 390 USD to get the composites over the tech mesh?

I'm leaning on the ones I tried on (composite) just incase the tech mesh are a little wider as the internet says
Ok, that's a separate issue. How often do you play? What kind of hockey? Do you consider yourself a beginner skater? Advanced? Are you hard on your skates?

Tell me more about yourself and what you're hoping to get out of a pair of skates.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
How often do you play?
not that often but i intend to pick it up a lot
What kind of hockey?
rec.
Do you consider yourself a beginner skater? Yes
Are you hard on your skates?
Yea
Tell me more about yourself and what you're hoping to get out of a pair of skates.
A proper fitting skate that will last me for the majority of my adult life. Ones that I can use in pick up games including on outdoor ice

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
Can you go somewhere to have him get sized, and try on a few pairs?

Also, any particular reason why you want to buy new as opposed to used?

I’m not opposed to used vs new (although his mom may be...), but the models I’ve seen online weren’t too expensive, $45 to $60, brand new. What website would you recommend to find good used gear?

He can likely be sized in one of our local rink pro shops. Hadn’t even dawned on me.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Does anyone have any tips about sizing skates for women? I'm tempted to get my girlfriend her first pair of skates for the holidays. We've skated a few times but she always has to wear rentals and she hates it understandably. Thinking about ordering her some starter skates from a site with a solid return policy in case they don't fit well, but I'd like to have the best odds of a good fit at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad