Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
hello everybody
I'm 154lbs male and i use Bauer Supreme one.8 skates 6.5D They fit me almost perfect width and lenght, but they are not enough deep just a little bit maybe 2mm not enough. I have two questions:

1. Is Supreme 6EE a little deeper than 6.5D ?
2. Which skate is more stiff: 5 years old Supreme One.8 or newest S170? (two generations newer but they both probably have the same 3d tech mesh)

1) Not necessarily, depends on where you find your depth problem. If it's the 'crook' of the foot, then going wider won't help. If it's the forefoot then perhaps the extra width could allow your foot to spread out a bit more. Very hard to say unless you try them on!

2) One.8 is stiffer. Tech hasn't changed much over these years

speeder

Aug 31, 2017
thanks for the answer
i've always think that EE sizes have more volume in width and in high (deeper) - like arrows in picture below :

heel-new-smally.jpg

because wider foot should be also little higher? or maybe im wrong?

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Hey air,
Have you had a chance to try on the new ribcore line?
Heard they tweaked the fit of the old k line and that can in general "changed" their sizing, i.e. 8's are more along the length of their old 7.5's across the board?
Any truth to this?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
thanks for the answer
i've always think that EE sizes have more volume in width and in high (deeper) - like arrows in picture below :

heel-new-smally.jpg

because wider foot should be also little higher? or maybe im wrong?
I would imagine they would definitely feel more voluminous due to the extra width. Not sure that the measurements for depth would change, if you catch my drift.
Hey air,
Have you had a chance to try on the new ribcore line?
Heard they tweaked the fit of the old k line and that can in general "changed" their sizing, i.e. 8's are more along the length of their old 7.5's across the board?
Any truth to this?
Yeah it did change, a bit wider and overall more versatile fit for sure. I haven't had time to update the guide yet, but thanks for the reminder.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I would imagine they would definitely feel more voluminous due to the extra width. Not sure that the measurements for depth would change, if you catch my drift.

Yeah it did change, a bit wider and overall more versatile fit for sure. I haven't had time to update the guide yet, but thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the update bud!
Any idea on how the fit of the ankle is compared to the previous models or even compared to the original jetspeed?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for the update bud!
Any idea on how the fit of the ankle is compared to the previous models or even compared to the original jetspeed?

I didn't spend a lot of time in either skate, but from what I could tell, the ankles int he Ribcor are more anatomical now, vs from before where the Pump essentially made them shapeless blocks. Lower arch than the Jetspeed, a touch narrower and shallower throughout.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I didn't spend a lot of time in either skate, but from what I could tell, the ankles int he Ribcor are more anatomical now, vs from before where the Pump essentially made them shapeless blocks. Lower arch than the Jetspeed, a touch narrower and shallower throughout.

Awesome, thanks again!

jackblotto

Sep 11, 2017
Regarding Skates for Junior Player

Quick question on the Vapors. My son is 11 years old and weighs about 80lbs. He really likes Vapors and has progressed from X30s -> X60s -> X70s. Found a great deal on X70s & X80s since they are old models at this point. Price points can't be beat really. He is playing travel and doing fine, one of the faster kids at the club in his division. Wondering whether there is truly any benefit at his age and weight to spend the extra $$ to get X800's, X900's, LTX Pro+, etc? I have heard that while those skates may have additional features that the stiffness may detract from their use for smaller/junior players? Also, not sure there is really that much the gain at his level anyway. Wouldn't mind getting him some lighter skates but not at a big premium.

Thoughts?

Thanks, David

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Quick question on the Vapors. My son is 11 years old and weighs about 80lbs. He really likes Vapors and has progressed from X30s -> X60s -> X70s. Found a great deal on X70s & X80s since they are old models at this point. Price points can't be beat really. He is playing travel and doing fine, one of the faster kids at the club in his division. Wondering whether there is truly any benefit at his age and weight to spend the extra $$ to get X800's, X900's, LTX Pro+, etc? I have heard that while those skates may have additional features that the stiffness may detract from their use for smaller/junior players? Also, not sure there is really that much the gain at his level anyway. Wouldn't mind getting him some lighter skates but not at a big premium.

Thoughts?

Thanks, David
Your initial thoughts are correct, highest level I usually recommended to players like that would be the X80 and its current equivalents, stopping short of the stiff carbon composite boots.

jackblotto

Sep 11, 2017
Your initial thoughts are correct, highest level I usually recommended to players like that would be the X80 and its current equivalents, stopping short of the stiff carbon composite boots.

Great.

Follow-up question. Not that I am dying to spend extra cash for no reason, but do you find that the stock footbed in the Vapors is best being replaced with something else by default or only if the player finds them uncomfortable? Some folks say they replace aftermarket ones on every pair they buy, maybe they need them. I think Bauer even has a upgraded version that comes stock on higher-end skates. Again, just wondering if spending the money and trying is even worth it if there are no complaints at this point?

Thanks again!

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
AIREAYE, I just purchased the Ribcor 50k and had a question about baking . I've always had my local rink bake my new skates, however, the 50k's came with baking instructions in the box. Is this safe to do at my home, or should I spend the time and money to have the skates "professionally" baked?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Great.

Follow-up question. Not that I am dying to spend extra cash for no reason, but do you find that the stock footbed in the Vapors is best being replaced with something else by default or only if the player finds them uncomfortable? Some folks say they replace aftermarket ones on every pair they buy, maybe they need them. I think Bauer even has a upgraded version that comes stock on higher-end skates. Again, just wondering if spending the money and trying is even worth it if there are no complaints at this point?

Thanks again!
See my blurb about Superfeet in the Guide. I've also made a few posts about them over the years if you're inclined to use the search function. I swear by them now.
AIREAYE, I just purchased the Ribcor 50k and had a question about baking . I've always had my local rink bake my new skates, however, the 50k's came with baking instructions in the box. Is this safe to do at my home, or should I spend the time and money to have the skates "professionally" baked?

Always have them done professionally with a convectional skate oven.

jackblotto

Sep 11, 2017
See my blurb about Superfeet in the Guide. I've also made a few posts about them over the years if you're inclined to use the search function. I swear by them now.

Ok, so read through that section and did a bit of other research. Like you state, they may not be for everyone and they can be returned. My son doesn't complain about ill-fit or pain with the stock footbeds in his Vapor X70s and it sounds like it may give him to much "lean" possibly if I understand this correctly? Others state they like them with Vapors. Tempted to have him try the Superfeet yellows, but we are just kicking off the season and not sure we will have spare time on the ice to break them in. Maybe a couple of stick-n-shoots will provide the Yes/No decision if we put them in just for those.

Thanks

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
AIREAYE i was asking about skates here before but didn't end up buying them, so here i am again. I decided i want lace lock option that was used on old Ribcore models, want to keep my narrow foot locked down in the heel/ankle area. You think 50k is too much for an intermediate skater? I play 2-3 times per week and would like to buy higher end skate so it will remain stiff/supportive for longer time and i want something stiffer in general. I was on Jetspeed 75 before and they feel so soft now, maybe because i became better skater or they softened up.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
AIREAYE i was asking about skates here before but didn't end up buying them, so here i am again. I decided i want lace lock option that was used on old Ribcore models, want to keep my narrow foot locked down in the heel/ankle area. You think 50k is too much for an intermediate skater? I play 2-3 times per week and would like to buy higher end skate so it will remain stiff/supportive for longer time and i want something stiffer in general. I was on Jetspeed 75 before and they feel so soft now, maybe because i became better skater or they softened up.
That should be fine, just keep in mind it will need longer to break in. I recommend that after the initial baking, you take it back after a few skates and bake once more.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Hey Aireaye, are you able to detail any tangible difference (other than aesthetic) there might be between the X900 and the '17 x900?

I've found my original pair to be great, with the exception that the factory footbed was rubbish and also the eyelets have been prone to cracking and they shred and I've gone through laces real quick, a lot of laces.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hey Aireaye, are you able to detail any tangible difference (other than aesthetic) there might be between the X900 and the '17 x900?

I've found my original pair to be great, with the exception that the factory footbed was rubbish and also the eyelets have been prone to cracking and they shred and I've gone through laces real quick, a lot of laces.
Only real thing is the tongue. older X900 had the traditional felt. New one uses their thinner plastic-like Flex Lock tongue.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Only real thing is the tongue. older X900 had the traditional felt. New one uses their thinner plastic-like Flex Lock tongue.
Thank you.

As an aside, is the new tongue likely to be better or just different?YouTube review says 'improved lace bite protection' , but any promo for anything always promises new and improved..or just get another pair of the older ones?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Not sure, haven't had a good look at them yet. I would say just get the older ones.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just wanted to pop in an comment on Superfeet insoles that are mentioned in the 1st post of the thread by @AIREAYE

So I've been having some pains in my feet lately when skating. My stock insoles (Bauer Nexus) have I'd say between 150-200 skates in. The last couple games the pains in the bottom of my feet were so bad it made it hard to even lift my legs.

I looked around and noticed the reviews for Superfeet Yellows and Carbons were extremely postive, so I sized them up at Sportchek, and gave them a try. I figured why not with their 60 return guarantee. I went with the Carbons. For an extra $10 it seemed worth it.

All I can say is WOW. Not only did they accomplish my goal of relieving the foot pain while skating, but your edge control, balance, everything was improved. Maybe the best way to describe it is you feel more "at one" with the skates and the ice. It's pretty amazing actually.

25 years playing and if it's not the best hockey upgrade/purchase I have made, it's pretty darn close. Highly recommended.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
All I can say is WOW. Not only did they accomplish my goal of relieving the foot pain while skating, but your edge control, balance, everything was improved. Maybe the best way to describe it is you feel more "at one" with the skates and the ice. It's pretty amazing actually.

25 years playing and if it's not the best hockey upgrade/purchase I have made, it's pretty darn close. Highly recommended.
This was me, minus the pain part and the 25 years haha :)

Reactions: BruinDust

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
AIREAYE, another happy customer here. Bought Ribcore 50k and yeah what a world of difference compared to my old skates. First skate session was weird, i felt locked in and sort of unagile but i expected worse, after an only an hour i felt they were breaking in nicely. No ankle twisting at higher speeds and during tight turns. Baked them once but they remain a little too roomy in the front and they consequently don't feel responsive enough. Since my feet are very narrow i ll probably look for an insoles first instead of trying to bake them one more time.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->