Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Just walked out of Pro Hockey Life with new pair of Jetspeed Black for 399.00
Been holding off to buy a new pair
Have 10 year Tacks that need to be replaced
Didnt think I would like it cause I tried a pair of 280 earlier this year and felt pinching at my forefoot
However the Jetspeed Black were EE and felt very comfortable

Hope this pair works out well.

Just an update one month since I bought this pair and now starting to feel comfortable a Jetspeed as my main pair over my Tacks, I have been switching back and forth .
Pros- Jetspeed much stiffer boot and heel locks in well
Cons- Had them baked and the inlets are tighter to lace up compared to my leather Tacks. I like having a bit softer material around the inlets so I can tighter up my laces and have a more custom feel. It felt a bit sore around the forefoot with the Jetspeed but not unbearable to skate with.

Also had my Jetspeed profile to 10-13 radius. My old Tacks were rockered to 9-10 radius with a pitch and that was the biggest adjustment. I used to played more forward and on my toes more but starting to play D now and the blade on the ice helps my backwards mobilty , The neutral profile made it easier to skate for longer on the ice but I dont get that "jump" that my Tacks had. I think this has to do with the forward lean I had with my Tacks. so I will try to grind so more off front part of the blade with the Jetspeed to get the forward pitch I want.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Another update.
Been switching back and forth between skates and had CAG profiling done 30-60 and 30-55 on two different skates
The CAG system does not create a radius. It simply provides a flatter surface midsole When I did 30-60 it's didn't make a big difference cause it is similar to a 10 radius The forward 30-55 gave me more forward stability on my toes Surprising skating wasn't much different. What I notice was my slap shot was better as I felt like I could glide and balance on my forward foot better when I went into my shot

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
My LHS doesn't have high end supremes in stock. They aren't terribly knowledgeable but I'd like to give them a shot because they should be able to bake my skates and help me squeeze them around my feet. Does the 1s fit like the low end Supremes so they can order them for me, or do I need to ask them to order me multiple skates (not sure if they're going to do it) so I can get the right size?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
My LHS doesn't have high end supremes in stock. They aren't terribly knowledgeable but I'd like to give them a shot because they should be able to bake my skates and help me squeeze them around my feet. Does the 1s fit like the low end Supremes so they can order them for me, or do I need to ask them to order me multiple skates (not sure if they're going to do it) so I can get the right size?

What's the highest end model they have?

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Is it me or do youth skates even at the "top end" like the X900 have brittle runners? They chip and dull so quickly and often after sharpenings (compared to my adult "tuuk stainless" and current LS4). Is it true the youth "tuuk stainless" are more cheaply made than the LS1/LS2 runners? If true, I can't wait to get my kids out of youth sizing so I can get something with LS1+.

Last edited:

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
What's the highest end model they have?

They have Supreme and Nexus, I am sure they don't have anything higher than an S180 in the Supreme line and they may not even have that one in my size. I'm looking at getting either the top or 1 below top in whatever skate fits me best.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I have another question about stiffness as well:

I came from the CCM U+CL to an RBZ and am now looking again for skates, but from what I can tell those boots were softer than most current offerings and even perhaps the last models 2014-2016. I thought the CLs were good (because they fit pretty well) but they went soft enough after 2 years that my coach and team mates both said that the boot was super soft. Then I changed to RBZ, where my self fitted/baked RBZs were SOOO much better in terms of comfort and performance (even though I was a much worse skater 2 years ago) and they were supposed to be a bit stiffer.

I'm about 200lbs and have very strong legs (doesnt' always translate into a strong stride...I know) so the top of the line boots never really made me feel like I was being held back in my progress but technology has made them stiffer yet, and I have yet to understand what too stiff is and if I encounter it how would I know in the shop by just trying the skates on?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
They have Supreme and Nexus, I am sure they don't have anything higher than an S180 in the Supreme line and they may not even have that one in my size. I'm looking at getting either the top or 1 below top in whatever skate fits me best.
Not sure if this is really helpful but obviously the higher end you try, the closer the fit because of the materials/build, even though technically the fit profile should be the same down the line. We've seen that it can still be difficult to compare top end (i.e. composite boots) to low end (i.e. nylon/plastic) because the materials react differently to the break-in and to heat.

I would say strive for a 180 or at the very least a 170 in your size. Anything below 170 you're taking a respectable risk.
I have another question about stiffness as well:

I came from the CCM U+CL to an RBZ and am now looking again for skates, but from what I can tell those boots were softer than most current offerings and even perhaps the last models 2014-2016. I thought the CLs were good (because they fit pretty well) but they went soft enough after 2 years that my coach and team mates both said that the boot was super soft. Then I changed to RBZ, where my self fitted/baked RBZs were SOOO much better in terms of comfort and performance (even though I was a much worse skater 2 years ago) and they were supposed to be a bit stiffer.

I'm about 200lbs and have very strong legs (doesnt' always translate into a strong stride...I know) so the top of the line boots never really made me feel like I was being held back in my progress but technology has made them stiffer yet, and I have yet to understand what too stiff is and if I encounter it how would I know in the shop by just trying the skates on?
This is different for everybody, but the key is that it should be stiff enough to offer enough support while not being stiff enough to impede movement and agility. It shouldn't feel like a cast. I would say that if you were very comfortable to the stiffness in the RBZs, then moving to a top end Supreme would be an easy transition, especially given the slightly lower cut boot and flexible tendon guard.
Is it me or do youth skates even at the "top end" like the X900 have brittle runners? They chip and dull so quickly and often after sharpenings (compared to my adult "tuuk stainless" and current LS4). Is it true the youth "tuuk stainless" are more cheaply made than the LS1/LS2 runners? If true, I can't wait to get my kids out of youth sizing so I can get something with LS1+.

True, reasoning is that there isn't much need to have high end steel in a youth skate.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Not sure if this is really helpful but obviously the higher end you try, the closer the fit because of the materials/build, even though technically the fit profile should be the same down the line. We've seen that it can still be difficult to compare top end (i.e. composite boots) to low end (i.e. nylon/plastic) because the materials react differently to the break-in and to heat.

I would say strive for a 180 or at the very least a 170 in your size. Anything below 170 you're taking a respectable risk.

This is different for everybody, but the key is that it should be stiff enough to offer enough support while not being stiff enough to impede movement and agility. It shouldn't feel like a cast. I would say that if you were very comfortable to the stiffness in the RBZs, then moving to a top end Supreme would be an easy transition, especially given the slightly lower cut boot and flexible tendon guard.

True, reasoning is that there isn't much need to have high end steel in a youth skate.

Thanks! I think the best they have is a S170 and that may or may not be in my size. THey also have the Nexus 6000.

Regarding stiffness, putting on the RBZs was like putting on turbo sofas on my feet and this was coming from the CL which wasn't supposed to be a bad skate. I think I did try on a Supreme 1S and it felt dreamy but I had a thick sock on and I normalloy skate barefoot (so I wasn't actually fitted but it might have shown that I can actually fit my funky feet into an EE width Supreme) and once I have to shell out $950 then complete custom VH makes more sense.

So one last question to cut through the marketing bull is the MX3 and 1S significantly different skates? It definitely seemed like the MX3 had serious new features compared to an NXG but I'm just not seeing the revolution on the 1S.

BTW, thank you so much for your answers. IMO, you are mostly the reason that this subforum is still so valuable because reddit while more active has randos on it that are not skate gurus like yourself! All Hail AIREAYE the skate god!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks! I think the best they have is a S170 and that may or may not be in my size. THey also have the Nexus 6000.

Regarding stiffness, putting on the RBZs was like putting on turbo sofas on my feet and this was coming from the CL which wasn't supposed to be a bad skate. I think I did try on a Supreme 1S and it felt dreamy but I had a thick sock on and I normalloy skate barefoot (so I wasn't actually fitted but it might have shown that I can actually fit my funky feet into an EE width Supreme) and once I have to shell out $950 then complete custom VH makes more sense.

So one last question to cut through the marketing bull is the MX3 and 1S significantly different skates? It definitely seemed like the MX3 had serious new features compared to an NXG but I'm just not seeing the revolution on the 1S.

BTW, thank you so much for your answers. IMO, you are mostly the reason that this subforum is still so valuable because reddit while more active has randos on it that are not skate gurus like yourself! All Hail AIREAYE the skate god!

Thanks man! I'm not as active as before, but I'll still help when I can.

No, the 1S has a couple more bells and whistles. Your best value is probably the S180 or 190.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Agree with the above sentiment.

I know not many care about youth skates here (but we need new skates for them nearly every year) - I just realized for the '17 Vapors for pre-order now, the youth 1X is coming with LS4 steel (yay for no more crap stainless steel that needs to be repeatedly sharpened) and a whole bunch of other top materials/design that come with junior skates. First time I'm seeing this for youth top end skates, at least the Vapor line. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipme...outh/bauer-hockey-skates-vapor-1x-17-yth.html

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Agree with the above sentiment.

I know not many care about youth skates here (but we need new skates for them nearly every year) - I just realized for the '17 Vapors for pre-order now, the youth 1X is coming with LS4 steel (yay for no more crap stainless steel that needs to be repeatedly sharpened) and a whole bunch of other top materials/design that come with junior skates. First time I'm seeing this for youth top end skates, at least the Vapor line. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipme...outh/bauer-hockey-skates-vapor-1x-17-yth.html

I've actually heard a LOT of feedback from parents over the years on how 'high end' youth skates are very lacking in quality/performance when compared to their junior counterparts. A lot of younger kids now play a lot of hockey such that even though they may go up in sizes every year, they'll go through at least 2 pairs a season. Good to see that's finally coming to market.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Can anyone comment on how a skate brand performs and feels the same between ice skate and in-line

I have a pair of Bauer vapor x4.0 skates I bought 6 years ago went I started playing. Recently I bough a pair off ccm jetspeeds and love the way they feel. Can anyone who have the same ccm inlines and ice comment on the similarities or differences?

I don't really need new ice skates, but boy I'd like some. so mostly I'm just trying to find the angles to justify it in my head

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Can anyone comment on how a skate brand performs and feels the same between ice skate and in-line

I have a pair of Bauer vapor x4.0 skates I bought 6 years ago went I started playing. Recently I bough a pair off ccm jetspeeds and love the way they feel. Can anyone who have the same ccm inlines and ice comment on the similarities or differences?

I don't really need new ice skates, but boy I'd like some. so mostly I'm just trying to find the angles to justify it in my head

I don't have CCM inline or ice skates, but believe they do use the same boots for both lines for the same model years. So if they're Jetspeeds of the same generation then the fit will be the same, but a 2015/16 Jetspeed will fit differently than a 2017/18 Jetspeed. The same would be true for both ice and inline models.

Current Mission skates use the Bauer Supreme last. Tacks, Vapor and Jetspeed Inline and Ice boots fit the same as long as they're from the same generation.

There is no ice equivalent for Alkali or Tour.

The original Verbero Vortex skates have the width of a Nexus skate, but depth closer to a Vapor. The Vortex II was also a wide boot, but they added more depth. The new Cypress line is supposed to have a narrower fit than the Vortex skates.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
AIREAYE, I see the new 1X has an asymmetrical boot. Any thoughts on this technology? I recall the Mako II having something similar.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
No, I haven't had a chance to see them yet. Been out of the loop lately due to other things.

machine

Jul 14, 2017
Aireaye,

Thanks for all your contributions to the board!

I have a question regarding transitioning from youth to junior skates. My son is 9 and plays AAA travel hockey. He needs new skates this fall which will be his first pair of juniors. He has been in Supremes (top end youth model) which seem to fit well. I am thinking the s180 might be a good skate but am wondering about the stiffness. One employee at a nearby retailer said he always recommends kids go with a softer boot as he thought the 180 might be too stiff. He is an advanced skater for his Age, good on his edges, etc. Just wondering what your opinion is?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Aireaye,

Thanks for all your contributions to the board!

I have a question regarding transitioning from youth to junior skates. My son is 9 and plays AAA travel hockey. He needs new skates this fall which will be his first pair of juniors. He has been in Supremes (top end youth model) which seem to fit well. I am thinking the s180 might be a good skate but am wondering about the stiffness. One employee at a nearby retailer said he always recommends kids go with a softer boot as he thought the 180 might be too stiff. He is an advanced skater for his Age, good on his edges, etc. Just wondering what your opinion is?

Unfortunately, the jump between Youth and Jr is rather drastic, so I would generally agree with that employee's thoughts. Other things to consider though; is your kid heavier set (such that he wears through skates faster due to stressing them)? How many pairs do you typically go through in a year?

machine

Jul 14, 2017
Unfortunately, the jump between Youth and Jr is rather drastic, so I would generally agree with that employee's thoughts. Other things to consider though; is your kid heavier set (such that he wears through skates faster due to stressing them)? How many pairs do you typically go through in a year?

He is of average build and we have never had to replace youth skates due to the boot breaking down. The only time we had to buy 2 pair in one season was due to growth.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
He is of average build and we have never had to replace youth skates due to the boot breaking down. The only time we had to buy 2 pair in one season was due to growth.

Then I would say the S170 level would be just fine. It may take a bit more time to adjust to the stiffness of the 180s, but kids are more versatile anyways, so those wouldn't be a bad idea. No need to go above that.

machine

Jul 14, 2017
Then I would say the S170 level would be just fine. It may take a bit more time to adjust to the stiffness of the 180s, but kids are more versatile anyways, so those wouldn't be a bad idea. No need to go above that.

Thank you.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
AIREAYE, just reading through this thread- wow! You are a wealth of information. I have a question if you have a minute. I'm currently looking to replace my 10yr old pair of Bauer Supreme 3000 skates. Yeah, it's probably way past time. I've been looking at the Supreme series again, just trying to decide if I would be good with a S160 level or if I should save a little more and go with a S170? Or are there any other recommendations you would have?

For reference I'm 6', 160lb and play once or twice a week beer league level and I'm pretty average.

Thanks again for you time!

(If anyone else has any recommendations please jump in, all advice is welcome!)

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
Honestly best thing to do is just go try some skates on and see whats comfortable. As for which skate to go with between s160/s170 I would go with a skate of the s170 quality. It'll last you longer and give you better support for not that much more $. You can also potentially get a higher end skate from a previous year at a discounted price like tacks 5052 for about same as s170. Or the original supreme 180. Best to see what local store has and try a few

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Honestly best thing to do is just go try some skates on and see whats comfortable. As for which skate to go with between s160/s170 I would go with a skate of the s170 quality. It'll last you longer and give you better support for not that much more $. You can also potentially get a higher end skate from a previous year at a discounted price like tacks 5052 for about same as s170. Or the original supreme 180. Best to see what local store has and try a few

AIREAYE, just reading through this thread- wow! You are a wealth of information. I have a question if you have a minute. I'm currently looking to replace my 10yr old pair of Bauer Supreme 3000 skates. Yeah, it's probably way past time. I've been looking at the Supreme series again, just trying to decide if I would be good with a S160 level or if I should save a little more and go with a S170? Or are there any other recommendations you would have?

For reference I'm 6', 160lb and play once or twice a week beer league level and I'm pretty average.

Thanks again for you time!

(If anyone else has any recommendations please jump in, all advice is welcome!)
Thank you!

So what I think you should do is go to a store with a blank slate and try on different fits. Even though you wore Supremes before doesn't mean you will again. Even so, the Supreme has evolved greatly since the 3000; they don't even have the same fit style/materials/feel anymore!

I would recommend a skate equivalent to the level of the S170, in whatever skate brand/family fits best of course. Similar recommendation to the above poster, but perhaps the S180 level would be a bit too much for what you're doing.

speeder

Aug 31, 2017
hello everybody
I'm 154lbs male and i use Bauer Supreme one.8 skates 6.5D They fit me almost perfect width and lenght, but they are not enough deep just a little bit maybe 2mm not enough. I have two questions:

1. Is Supreme 6EE a little deeper than 6.5D ?
2. Which skate is more stiff: 5 years old Supreme One.8 or newest S170? (two generations newer but they both probably have the same 3d tech mesh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad