Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Does anyone know when the new Bauer 1X skates come out? I've heard end of April and end of July. I've seen pics of them and they look great. I'm also interested in the CCM Jetspeed FT1, they come out end of April. If anyone has any knowledge of these skates or works in a hockey store, can you tell me the differences. I've heard the Jetspeed's have great heel lock.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Does anyone know when the new Bauer 1X skates come out? I've heard end of April and end of July. I've seen pics of them and they look great. I'm also interested in the CCM Jetspeed FT1, they come out end of April. If anyone has any knowledge of these skates or works in a hockey store, can you tell me the differences. I've heard the Jetspeed's have great heel lock.

End of July is when they'll be out.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I need suggestions for skates with wide feet. I have incredible pain in my feet when playing, and I am almost certain it's because my skates are too narrow. Had the same problem with hiking shoes, but finally found ones that were wide enough and now I don't experience the pain anymore.

So I am looking for a skate to do the same. I would like to stay below the $200 mark, but open to all suggestions.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I need suggestions for skates with wide feet. I have incredible pain in my feet when playing, and I am almost certain it's because my skates are too narrow. Had the same problem with hiking shoes, but finally found ones that were wide enough and now I don't experience the pain anymore.

So I am looking for a skate to do the same. I would like to stay below the $200 mark, but open to all suggestions.

You really need to give more details here...

What skates are you wearing that are too narrow?
Have you tried on any other skates before?
How often do you play? Are you hard on your skates (ie wear and tear)?
Are you able to buy skates in-store?

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
You really need to give more details here...

What skates are you wearing that are too narrow?
Have you tried on any other skates before?
How often do you play? Are you hard on your skates (ie wear and tear)?
Are you able to buy skates in-store?

1. Bauer Supreme 140 Bought them new at a Play-it-again. They were cheap (around $70) which also might be my problem.
2. My previous pair of skates were hand-me-downs from a friend. They were also Bauer's, but I don't remember the model. I would have this problem in those skates too.. but not as frequently.
3. I usually just play open hockey around 3-4 times a month. But could be joining a league soon so it could be more.
4. Other than a play-it-again which has a pretty crap selection, the closest hockey store to me is about 90 miles away. Might be worth the trip though I guess.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
1. Bauer Supreme 140 Bought them new at a Play-it-again. They were cheap (around $70) which also might be my problem.
2. My previous pair of skates were hand-me-downs from a friend. They were also Bauer's, but I don't remember the model. I would have this problem in those skates too.. but not as frequently.
3. I usually just play open hockey around 3-4 times a month. But could be joining a league soon so it could be more.
4. Other than a play-it-again which has a pretty crap selection, the closest hockey store to me is about 90 miles away. Might be worth the trip though I guess.

You definitely need to make a trip. Try on different models, in different widths, as each skate in each size is also made in a wider 'EE' width. Each model/brand/skate family fit different from each other. You can't just pick a skate from reading on the internet.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Ended up buying Bauer Supreme S160's replacing my old Bauer One 60s. Familiar fit, with a baking they feel good, did end up with some blisters after first skate, and obviously getting used to them still.

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
I've purchased a CCM Tacks 5092 equivalent and got them baked in the shop.

But after baking, I can't stand on them due to a pain in my left foot. The seller told me to come back for a 2nd bake after a few games, but I don't think I could go more than a few minutes on them.

Quick research reveals that it may be a Navicular bone issue. Should I, after a 2nd bake, attempt to punch out the area by gently using a heat gun on the lowest setting, and pushing from the inside the boot using a hard ball like a golf ball?

I'm contemplating just going with VH skates if it will solve my issue, but I'm not sure what CCM's return policies are either on a skate that's been baked, profiled, and sharpened.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've purchased a CCM Tacks 5092 equivalent and got them baked in the shop.

But after baking, I can't stand on them due to a pain in my left foot. The seller told me to come back for a 2nd bake after a few games, but I don't think I could go more than a few minutes on them.

Quick research reveals that it may be a Navicular bone issue. Should I, after a 2nd bake, attempt to punch out the area by gently using a heat gun on the lowest setting, and pushing from the inside the boot using a hard ball like a golf ball?

I'm contemplating just going with VH skates if it will solve my issue, but I'm not sure what CCM's return policies are either on a skate that's been baked, profiled, and sharpened.

The seller should be the one punching the boot; try that first. Don't do it at home if possible.

If that still doesn't work, I would ask the seller for a refund or see what else they can do for you.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Pro Hockey Life is selling the CCM Jetspeed LE's for $399.99. The CCM Jetspeed FT1's come out next Friday and are $899.99. Should I save some cash and get the '15 model or wait until next Friday? Also, I'm hearing the new 1X skates that come out in June aren't a huge upgrade over the '15 model.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Pro Hockey Life is selling the CCM Jetspeed LE's for $399.99. The CCM Jetspeed FT1's come out next Friday and are $899.99. Should I save some cash and get the '15 model or wait until next Friday? Also, I'm hearing the new 1X skates that come out in June aren't a huge upgrade over the '15 model.

That is one HELL of a deal. I wouldn't wait for the new Jetspeeds. You are correct on the 1Xs.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013

If you want the best bang for your buck then get a pair of clearance high end skates that fit your feet well. The 2015 Jetspeed LE's for $399 is a great deal IF they fit you well and have your size in stock.

Now, if you have extra cash, want to pay for the best performance and are willing to spend around $899 (I thought the FT1 was going to be $999 in Canada, but could be mistaken) then I'd just get VH custom skates since they're built based on measurements, scans and pictures of your feet. There are two VH fit centres in the GTA an they'll do the scans, pictures and measurements for you. I know a few GTHL refs that have them and they love them. They're also used by several NHL players (Marner, Big Buff, Pavelski, Chara, Price ect.) and I've seen them on several high level youth players when reffing competitive games in the GTA.

The FT1's are one piece and should be more responsive than the '15 Jetspeeds. They may offer a minimal bump in performance (say 10%), but you'll be paying more than twice as much. If you're willing to pay that much for a slight bump in performance then you might as well go the custom VH route since they're built specifically for your foot.

If the 2015 Jetspeeds don't fit well then look for another clearance deal on older model high end skates that do fit you well. For me, that was the Easton Mako II - I now have a small stockpile to use for reffing and playing both ice and roller hockey. For you it might be the Jetspeeds, but it could be another brand or model as well. Read the skate guide on the first page of this thread and then try on as many skates as you can until you find one that fits well - if none of them do and you have the cash then VH is probably the best option.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
I've been skating a couple years now. Just upgraded skates to high end after having an ankle injury from blocking a shot, so I wear skate fenders with my 1Xs.

I have for the past year now been dealing with pain and cysts on the outside of my upper ankle/lower leg area, right where the top edge of the skate boot rubs against the outside leg/ankle. I've been wearing gel pads to protect this area, which has definitely helped.

Is this a common issue? Anyone deal with this and have a solution other than what I've been doing? Is this from the boot being too tight? Not tight enough? Skating style? Interested in any input about this (I know one or two teammates that deal with the same issue).

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Just walked out of Pro Hockey Life with new pair of Jetspeed Black for 399.00
Been holding off to buy a new pair
Have 10 year Tacks that need to be replaced
Didnt think I would like it cause I tried a pair of 280 earlier this year and felt pinching at my forefoot
However the Jetspeed Black were EE and felt very comfortable

Hope this pair works out well.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
We got the FT1s in today. From just sticking my foot inside really quick they are different from the Jetspeed for sure.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Just walked out of Pro Hockey Life with new pair of Jetspeed Black for 399.00
Been holding off to buy a new pair
Have 10 year Tacks that need to be replaced
Didnt think I would like it cause I tried a pair of 280 earlier this year and felt pinching at my forefoot
However the Jetspeed Black were EE and felt very comfortable

Hope this pair works out well.

Let us know how you like them.

We got the FT1s in today. From just sticking my foot inside really quick they are different from the Jetspeed for sure.

How different are they? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Some guys on MSH are saying the Jetspeed's run large. I wear a 7 in Bauer Vapor, I would need a 6.5 in the Jetspeed?

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Some guys on MSH are saying the Jetspeed's run large. I wear a 7 in Bauer Vapor, I would need a 6.5 in the Jetspeed?

Yes, the 2015 Jetspeeds fit about a half size longer than Bauer skates; so in those you would probably need a 6.5, but each foot is different so the only way to know for sure is to go to a store and try them on. The new FT1 skates are now supposed to be sized similar to Bauer; so theoretically you would be a 7 in those, but again, you'd definitely want to try them on before dropping that kind of cash.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
If anyone can help. Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, it's a huge thread!

I used to play a long time ago. I haven't laced 'em up in quite a while. I need new skates. I want something decent but I'll only use them probably 10 times per Winter or so. I'd still like them to last. Mostly I'll be skating for fun with my gf at a local outdoor lake or rink we can walk to, and with some friends occasionally in another town. May play a pickup game here and there as they tend to happen pretty frequently and I can't resist. Not gonna join a league of any sort and play regularly though.

Specifically I have flat feet. Younger it wasn't a big issue, but it is more now. I never got orthotics or arch support, or anything adjusted for me and I won't start now. I just adapted and found shoes that worked for me. Are there any skates that would fit that? For people who have a tendency to... not sure how to say this right, but bow inwards? Since I have less support naturally. I can buy some standard arch supports if needed but I'd prefer not to. I like to find shoes that fit me well on their own and I'd like to do the same with skates, ideally.

Either way, regardless of that, I would still love advice for a decent pair I can keep for years, medium range in price, leisure but capable of some spirited play. Will be buying new in Canada.

Thanks!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If anyone can help. Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, it's a huge thread!

I used to play a long time ago. I haven't laced 'em up in quite a while. I need new skates. I want something decent but I'll only use them probably 10 times per Winter or so. I'd still like them to last. Mostly I'll be skating for fun with my gf at a local outdoor lake or rink we can walk to, and with some friends occasionally in another town. May play a pickup game here and there as they tend to happen pretty frequently and I can't resist. Not gonna join a league of any sort and play regularly though.

Specifically I have flat feet. Younger it wasn't a big issue, but it is more now. I never got orthotics or arch support, or anything adjusted for me and I won't start now. I just adapted and found shoes that worked for me. Are there any skates that would fit that? For people who have a tendency to... not sure how to say this right, but bow inwards? Since I have less support naturally. I can buy some standard arch supports if needed but I'd prefer not to. I like to find shoes that fit me well on their own and I'd like to do the same with skates, ideally.

Either way, regardless of that, I would still love advice for a decent pair I can keep for years, medium range in price, leisure but capable of some spirited play. Will be buying new in Canada.

Thanks!

Hey, welcome!

Good idea targeting something in that range. If you read over the guide, I would point you to skates in the 'low-mid' or 'mid' price points. You would ideally hope to find previous years' models discounted, with those models (and current equivalents) ranging between $200-$300 in price BEFORE any discounting.

The best way to find the right skate is to buy from a store with knowledgeable staff and good selection. The key, if you read the guide, is that you must try on different fits and spend some time doing so. Explaining your situation and what you hope to target (in terms of price range) would help narrow your search. Some skates fit narrower in places than others, wider in places than others. No one on the internet can really help you with this if you're going in fresh; you've got to try a bunch on.

Read the guide first.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Hey, welcome!

Good idea targeting something in that range. If you read over the guide, I would point you to skates in the 'low-mid' or 'mid' price points. You would ideally hope to find previous years' models discounted, with those models (and current equivalents) ranging between $200-$300 in price BEFORE any discounting.

The best way to find the right skate is to buy from a store with knowledgeable staff and good selection. The key, if you read the guide, is that you must try on different fits and spend some time doing so. Explaining your situation and what you hope to target (in terms of price range) would help narrow your search. Some skates fit narrower in places than others, wider in places than others. No one on the internet can really help you with this if you're going in fresh; you've got to try a bunch on.

Read the guide first.

Yep, I did so after. I posted too quickly. I have narrow feet, so I will definitely need to try on a bunch. I'll base it off the information in there and come back if I have further questions.

Thanks!

edit: and that price range is perfect.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Let us know how you like them.

How different are they? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I was pretty busy today so I didn't get a chance to really lace them up and walk around at all. From just slipping my foot in again and pulling the laces tight I notice the heel lock seems more precise. Can tell more readily that it's offset or anatomical. Also noticed a little extra pressure below my ankles on the inside, but not low enough to affect the arch or anything. Nothing out of the ordinary for a skate of that quality. The boot seems to really taper in around your foot, due to the sole-less construction I believe.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I was pretty busy today so I didn't get a chance to really lace them up and walk around at all. From just slipping my foot in again and pulling the laces tight I notice the heel lock seems more precise. Can tell more readily that it's offset or anatomical. Also noticed a little extra pressure below my ankles on the inside, but not low enough to affect the arch or anything. Nothing out of the ordinary for a skate of that quality. The boot seems to really taper in around your foot, due to the sole-less construction I believe.

Right on. I'm really tempted to buy these, especially at that price. I've heard great things about the heel lock. I'm in Bauer X7.0's right now and they're pretty worn down. I'm also wondering about the agility in the Jetspeed's. I've tried Supreme's before and they fit good, but I couldn't get going in them, agility wise.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Hey all! I'm sorry I know this has been probably asked a million times and I skimmed through the thread but there is a whole lot of info. Does anyone have any tips for breaking in new skates faster? I bought my wife new skates and she says the pain is awful. She didn't have this problem with her old skates of the same size. I'm assuming that's because the old ones were used and already broken in. Mainly she says the skates feel to narrow and she gets blisters on the side of her feet. We baked them at home, only choice where we live, and it didn't help much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad