Advice: Skate tighteners-- Do they work?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Those little hook-end things to help pull the laces tight? Yes, they do their job. It's not like they're a necessity for most people, but they do what they are supposed to. Used to have one as a kid.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
If they're what the above poster said, yes they work but arent' really necessary. They're used by people who say it hurts their hands to tighten their laces mainly.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For healthy adults you should be able to pull the laces tight enough on your own. A lot of guys might give you crap for using one, just a heads up. If you're looking to keep the laces tight, try waxed laces. I like the ones by Graf.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
For healthy adults you should be able to pull the laces tight enough on your own. A lot of guys might give you crap for using one, just a heads up. If you're looking to keep the laces tight, try waxed laces. I like the ones by Graf.

I'm a 15 year old kid, no one should give me problems.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Mostly kids use them, and they work fairly well for not hurting your fingers. They won't make your skates tighter than your strength allows however.

Waxed laces is the way to go and also make sure you start from the bottom of the boot and work your way up. Don't just tie the top of the skates.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
Mostly kids use them, and they work fairly well for not hurting your fingers. They won't make your skates tighter than your strength allows however.

Waxed laces is the way to go and also make sure you start from the bottom of the boot and work your way up. Don't just tie the top of the skates.

Damn, guess I'm not getting them then. That was the whole point.

Will the wax laces help me make my skate tighter? And what size laces should I get? I have a Tour ETX550 (size 8 Adult) inline skate.

Last edited:

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
I use them as a goalie; as goalie skates have less support than player skates. I have it tight for the first three eyelets, snug for the next four and then tight again at the top.

Waxed laces are a must.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Damn, guess I'm not getting them then. That was the whole point.

Will the wax laces help me make my skate tighter? And what size laces should I get? I have a Tour ETX550 (size 8 Adult) inline skate.

They won't loosen up as easily with wax laces because the wax provides some resistance/friction.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if you dont have fingers and use a prostetic arm then they are useful (saw a goalie using them) but if you have fully functioning fingers its not needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad