Skate Life?

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I've been skating for 5 years now, and classify myself as a mid-to-good D level player. I'll never be called 'fast' but I do use crossovers in all 4 directions, along with running starts, quick stops, etc..

My question is this: When should I think about replacing my skates? I'd guess that I've played about 150 games in these skates over my 4 years in league, plus another 20-30 stick sessions. Overall they're probably getting close to 200 uses..

There aren't any obvious problems with the skates like rust, breakdown or deterioration, but I'm finding it harder to maintain good edge control and glide. I usually compensate by tightening my laces after warmups, but they're starting to feel squirrely even when tight..

The skates are Mission Amp 3's that I bought 5 years ago. They were heat fitted about a month after I bought them, but since then all I've done is had them sharpened, replaced rivets, and replaced laces.. I almost always hang them out to dry within a day or two of a game..

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I get a new pair about every 2 years, but i use them a lot

About 300 games reffed
About 90 games I play in games with them
About 50 times I play pick up hockey in them or just playing around with my friends.

So in 2 years I probably on average have used the skates 400+ times.

So 200 should they still should be ok, but it depends how beat up they are and if they are falling apart. Newer skates take longer to breakdown which allows me to not have to buy a new pair every year.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
The new Missions are great, but I wouldn't recommend it for anybody with wide feet or with large toes. I just went from my Bauer 7000s to the Mission XP-110s. Plenty of support and a quality boot without the rock-hardness of the new Vectors or Bauers - I find that I'm faster than I was in the Bauers, but I don't have the amazing turning circle I had with those. The Mission AGs are intentionally a bit soft for quick maneuverability around the net, which is pretty cool. All of these skates have a holder with an adjustable blade pitch/radius so you can sit back on your skates on D, or lean forward on offense. The neutral position is more forward than most skates anyhow, which I like. It's an all silver boot, similar to the reeboks, and the first comment I got from a teammate was "They're really sexy...unsettlingly so!" (the guy is English :))

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
200 times out in a pair od skates, if they are of a good quality, is no where near a time when they need to be replaced. If you are having trouble with your runner, replace them, not your skates. My daughter had a brand new pair of Bauer 7000's and they wouldn't hold an edge. I replaced the runners, problem solved. It apears someone burned the runners while sharpening them, removing the temper and ruining the original runner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->