Skate finding woes

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Hey all, looking for some help with skates for my big feet. I'm not a hockey player myself but I have a 6yo in mites and a 4yo in learn to skate and I'd love to be able to get out with them for stick and puck or be an asst. coach until they move up to more serious levels.

I'm a pretty poor skater by hockey standards but I can get myself around the rink and my 6yo isn't quite skating circles around me yet though he probably will soon. I want to get out there more and work on my skating or even take some lessons but I don't have skates that fit me.

I recently had my feet scanned at a Pure Hockey and found my actual size. Came out as a 12.5 fit3 / wide / high volume. The kid who did my sizing did say that was the ideal size but given my level and intended use I'd probably be most comfortable in a size 13 fit3.

So at home I have a pair of Flite Chaos size 14 wide and they're much too big. I got them years ago now before I even knew enough to guess at a correct size and have barely used them. I can't get the laces tight enough and they've never felt comfortable. Haven't used them more times than I can count on my fingers.

My default go to now is rental 13 hockey skates at the local rink. Not ideal for obvious reasons and not at all comfortable.

I recently took a chance on a gem of an ebay find: 13 EE Mission Amp Flyweights for $100. I understand these to have been a pretty decent skate in their day. They're probably 15 or 20 years old now from what I can find online but they are in immaculate condition as if they've sat in a closet the whole time maybe never used. Unfortunately for me despite the EE width, they are just too narrow/ low volume for my foot. The toe cap isn't even wide enough to get all my toes in without putting so much pressure on my little toe I feel like it could break, and I don't feel like I have even close to enough room in the heel. Still, I got my feet in them a few times since they came in and my left foot I almost think could break in but the right was too painful to even get on tonight (Sidenote my left foot came in 1/4 size smaller than my right and according to the scan was nearly a standard D width...).

So I initiated a return on eBay tonight but just wanted to ask opinions on whether it might be worth trying to get them baked? I'm not sure if they were ever baked but given the apparent condition I suspect not. But not sure the base fit is even close enough to be helped by baking? And given their age and the fact that Mission doesn't exist anymore I'm not sure baking would be wise or if any shop would even try.

But, I'm not sure what else to do either. Nothing my size seems available anywhere and my skill and intended use doesn't warrant customs. Anyone have a tip on where to find some wide/fit3-like 13's somewhere without costing more than a season's worth of my son's ice time? I'm a comfortable 14 wide in my Merrell hiking boots so I was hoping for a chance there were some especially wide/roomy 12's that might work but the scan did come back at 12.5 and the pure hockey didn't have anything I could try on anyways. Sure there are plenty other bigfoots >size12 out there that have to get reasonable retail skates some how?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I recently had my feet scanned at a Pure Hockey and found my actual size. Came out as a 12.5 fit3 / wide / high volume. The kid who did my sizing did say that was the ideal size but given my level and intended use I'd probably be most comfortable in a size 13 fit3.

First thing I'd do give that kid a Will Smith slap in the face. Never buy a skate based on numbers spit out by a scanner or buy a skate before you actually put them on your feet. Scanner results are just starting points, not gospel. Skates are constantly changing, and regardless of size number, things can change from model to model, and even within the same model line from year to year. And those subtle differences can make all the difference in the world. For example, last time I bough new skates, I tried on last years model because they were on clearance. Had the same issue as you with the toe cap being too narrow. Tried the current year, same model line, didn't have that problem.

The fit system of fit 1, fit 2, fit 3, is a recent thing, and there isn't a 1-to-1 correspondence with older skates. With older skates EEs in one skate/model line is not equivalent to EEs in another skate/model line. In fact in some cases a D in one line is equal to EEs in another. And baking only helps with fine tuning, it won't help with major issues in the least.

So my advice is to find a place where you can actually get you feet into real skates in order to find what fits you. To do otherwise is Russian roulette. In terms of sizing, when choosing between two sizes, it's usually best choose the smaller size. This is because you can stretch and punch skates out if you need more room, and as skates age, the foam lining compresses giving you more room in the skate than you might feel when the skates are new. All in all, you can stretch skates about 1/4 size larger and as foams compress, another 1/4 size can be had. You can't shrink skates, and I don't have to tell you what issues you can have with skates that are too big.

Here's a skate fit guide. It's a little on the old side, but the How to Test if your Skates Fits Properly section is very much still applicable.

Best of luck.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
So my advice is to find a place where you can actually get you feet into real skates in order to find what fits you.
Thanks for the link and advice. Main problem I think is that the kid didn't have anything for me to try on because stock is low and nobody anywhere has my size. He went back and claimed to call his Bauer rep and claimed there wasn't anything he could even order in for me at this point. He did give me a list of models that may work and models to avoid in both new and past years. Mostly Bauer recommendations but a couple ccm also. Also mentioned some lines are getting refreshed soon and I might have better luck when that new stock comes in. Until then or maybe even then Russian roulette may be the best I can do? I guess I have a somewhat local peranis an hour away to try next but based on online stock they're probably not going to have anything for me either.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As someone who also has weird feet that are hard to find proper fitting skates for, I feel your pain.

I think your best bet is to find the most voluminous size 12 that is within your budget. Just from what I can tell a size 12.5 or 13.0 for something even close to a reasonable price for the type of usage you've described is basically a unicorn in the hockey skate world.

its josh

May 13, 2020
Buy a used 11.5. Smaller and more snug the better.

If you want to complain about your feet not being comfortable, stay in the stands. These parents looking for comfortable skates and wondering why they cant keep up with a 6 year old beginner are the worst. You cant learn to play hockey in skis. Cram your foot into a skate and use it for a year. After you can move around, you'll be able to figure out what you like, and you can spring for a more expensive, new pair.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
CCM has some Tacks 9380 in size 13 EE. Taking a chance on them even though I can't try them on first. Tacks are one of the recommended lines for wide feet so I'm feeling pretty good about these being the right fit. They're a bit more than I hoped to spend but there's been no other options new or used.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad