Skate Baking

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
Paragon Sports on 18th & Broadway has a Mission skate bake oven, though their help is hit-and-miss in terms of hockey knowledge.

You might also try calling the pro shop at the Chelsea Piers SkyRink.

Good luck.

nickrOck

Jul 11, 2006
thanks man..

i'm thinking of not baking them, i read a few bad reviews about baking stretching the boot etc etc..

i'm just gonna break em in the old fashioned way.. sucks but whatever..

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
I think baking is worth it, though not absolutely necessary. But if you're not 100% certain of your size, go to a good skate shop and have your skates fitted by someone who knows what they're doing.

Case in point: About a year and a half ago I bought a pair of Mission S300s and had them professionally fitted, including baking, by a good hockey shop. They are hands down the best-fitting skates I've ever worn. I do think part of the reason for this is the unique E width for this model, between the D and EE choices for most skates, which I think is my perfect width, but the baking/fitting process played a big part, too). The guy who fit me worked with me to find the perfect size. I'm a 9.5 shoe, which should mean a 9 Mission skate. But after trying that and an 8.5 on we went with the 8.5 and baked them and man, are they sweet on my feet.

Doing this will cost you a bit extra than if you go to a discount department store or buy online, but it's worth every penny.

Subsequently I bought a new pair of inline skates and went with a Mission 8.5 again. Bought them online and didn't bake them, but the break-in was minimal, even though they're a D width, narrower than the ice skates. Now they feel very good, though not as nice as the ice skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->