Contract Termination: [SJS] Ivan Chekhovich on waivers for purposes of a buyout/termination

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
so he's been cut (hockeydb picture)

ivan-chekhovich-2020-44.jpg

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Am I mixing him up with someone? I could have sworn Sharks fans were pretty high on him, thinking he was going to make the team this year...
You probably aren't. Although him and Chemelevski are similar prospects, I for one thought Chekhovich would get an opportunity at some point this year. He had a great KHL season last year.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Am I mixing him up with someone? I could have sworn Sharks fans were pretty high on him, thinking he was going to make the team this year...

Chekhovich was a strange case for us.

Basically, after his junior seasons ended in 17/18 and 18/19, he came over to the AHL for the end of each season and just dominated. Along with putting up 105 points in the Q in 18/19, it looked like we might have something special there.

Then he joined the Barracuda full-time in 19/20 and looked genuinely lost on the ice. He went over to the KHL in 20/21 and had a great season (34 pts in 43GP), which made Sharks fans think he'd gotten his mojo back, only for him to return to NA in March and look marginally better than he did last season.

It's the right move for him, I'd say.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Chekhovich was a strange case for us.

Basically, after his junior seasons ended in 17/18 and 18/19, he came over to the AHL for the end of each season and just dominated. Along with putting up 105 points in the Q in 18/19, it looked like we might have something special there.

Then he joined the Barracuda full-time in 19/20 and looked genuinely lost on the ice. He went over to the KHL in 20/21 and had a great season (34 pts in 43GP), which made Sharks fans think he'd gotten his mojo back, only for him to return to NA in March and look marginally better than he did last season.

It's the right move for him, I'd say.

This is how I'm remembering him, didn't realize he struggled so much adapting after. Thanks to the several clarifications!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad