Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] E.Kane for D. O'Regan, 2019 cond. 1st/2nd round, 2019/2020 cond. 4th/3rd round [MOD 274]

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Sort of closes a chapter on the big Jets Sabres trade. Looks weak for the Sabres...

Roslovic >> conditional 2019 2nd/1st
Armia > O'Regan
Lemieux >> 4th

I think you forgot about the 68 goals that Kane scored. it is going to take 5 years for Roslovic, Armia, amd Lemieux to put up that many goals combined.

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
Evander will fit in real good. I think Sharks have the laid back leadership Kane needs (with some success to back it up). LOL @ everyone still assuming he's the biggest party boy / weed smoker in the league. If this were any other sport, his assumed off-ice behavior wouldn't be any cause for concern. But cause NHL is so white, Kane is labeled problematic

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
By lottery protected, does that mean it's top 3 protected (as in, they win the lottery?)

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Evander will fit in real good. I think Sharks have the laid back leadership Kane needs (with some success to back it up). LOL @ everyone still assuming he's the biggest party boy / weed smoker in the league. If this were any other sport, his assumed off-ice behavior wouldn't be any cause for concern. But cause NHL is so white, Kane is labeled problematic

I mean the NHL still can't handle european players and is downright shameful when it comes to players of color. Kane did some bad stuff in buffalo and that's not to be excused (regarding women), I think the color of his skin is something the league can't handle though and that sucks because hockey is a fun game, and the modern type of game was basically invented by black folks. Anyways, I want a 1st round draft pick and I don't really care what happens to Kane now that he's gone, no ill will as a player but will not cheer for somebody that sexually assaults women either. Why we focus on Kane but we can't talk about the other Kane with as much fire or stuff like Ribiero did in Nashville can be overlooked is shameful, all of it is shameful, but at the very least I wish the league would get better with race because this game sometimes feels backwards enough without having racism and bigotry literally being part of it even to this day (the recent stuff with a fan acted bigoted towards a player is 1 of half a dozen incidents in the last decade and needs to stop NOW).

Reactions: wildandwoolly

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
I mean the NHL still can't handle european players and is downright shameful when it comes to players of color. Kane did some bad stuff in buffalo and that's not to be excused (regarding women), I think the color of his skin is something the league can't handle though and that sucks because hockey is a fun game, and the modern type of game was basically invented by black folks. Anyways, I want a 1st round draft pick and I don't really care what happens to Kane now that he's gone, no ill will as a player but will not cheer for somebody that sexually assaults women either. Why we focus on Kane but we can't talk about the other Kane with as much fire or stuff like Ribiero did in Nashville can be overlooked is shameful, all of it is shameful, but at the very least I wish the league would get better with race because this game sometimes feels backwards enough without having racism and bigotry literally being part of it even to this day (the recent stuff with a fan acted bigoted towards a player is 1 of half a dozen incidents in the last decade and needs to stop NOW).

Appreciate this. Many good points here. I forgot about Evander's court case though - wasn't that thrown out? I can't remember if he actually hit a girl or just hit on her or what?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
awful return. pretty bad when you get less than a 30pt 3rd liner in hartman

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Hartman's an RFA. Kane's a UFA. Huge difference.

It is a huge differemce and I can’t believe how many people don’t understand this. People have also said stuff about Buffalo receiving less then what St. Louis did for Stastny. C are always more sought after then wingers and demand more in a trade.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This was a savvy move by the Sharks and makes them a real threat to Vegas in a 2nd round playoff matchup. Don't see them getting through Nashville or Winnipeg in the conference final but they could get that far.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I love how people want it both ways

"Kane is a cancer, he destroys lockerooms and team chemistry"

"Why didn't they get more for him?"

They go hand and hand. Kane is to blame for his reputation and baggage. I think his teammates liked him in Buffalo but his incident at the bar during draft weekend in Buffalo sealed his future with the Pegulas.

I hope he does well for SJ. He is a very unique player. I think his best chance at a good UFA deal is to play well with SJ, fit in with the group and sign there long term. His rep hurt him at the trade deadline and will probably hurt him on the open market.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is this the right move for SJ? I dont see it as a good move.

We'll find out. Worst case scenario is they pay a 2nd and a 4th round pick for a trial run that ends early of Evander Kane. Best case scenario they win a Cup or re-sign a player in his prime and give up a 1st round pick and a 4th or a 3rd. If it ends up being a 3rd, that's fine because the Sharks suck in the 3rd round.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We'll find out. Worst case scenario is they pay a 2nd and a 4th round pick for a trial run that ends early of Evander Kane. Best case scenario they win a Cup or re-sign a player in his prime and give up a 1st round pick and a 4th or a 3rd. If it ends up being a 3rd, that's fine because the Sharks suck in the 3rd round.
i truly dont see te sharks resigning Kane, with the eventual roster turnover coming in the next few years the locker room which can handle kanes foibles now will change.

to resign him for 5 years which is what he'll want, that means he will become a voice in the room and I dont know if you want that going forward, i see him as a temporary replacemt for Marleau, nothing more

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
i truly dont see te sharks resigning Kane, with the eventual roster turnover coming in the next few years the locker room which can handle kanes foibles now will change.

to resign him for 5 years which is what he'll want, that means he will become a voice in the room and I dont know if you want that.

That all depends on what the context is of 'eventual roster turnover'. The Sharks aren't going to rebuild unless they have no alternative. The roster turnover for them to remain competitive can be as simple as signing John Tavares in the off-season. Next year will still have at the very least Couture, Pavelski, Vlasic, and Burns as leadership voices. They're plenty capable of handling Kane's foibles. This isn't their first experience with him for the most part.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who scores more through the first round Kane or Nash?

The smart money would probably be on Nash just due to the fact that San Jose is still at risk to make the playoffs where as the Bruins are virtually guaranteed to make it, but if both play I would expect Kane to do a lot better. He has an impact on the game that Nash at his age simply does not.

Reactions: Chainshot

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
This kid is gonna be fine.....I was hoping BOSTON got him. Happy we got Nash but if not i wanted this guy. Your team just got way better, no doubt.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is this the right move for SJ? I dont see it as a good move.

Me neither. They look like they might be one bad month away from needing to rebuild in general given the age of their core and they go and rent Evander Kane?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
WARNING: We're going to leave this open, but the sexual and political references stop here. You have an issue with Kane? Fine. However, you're expected to express it - like anything else on this site - in a civil manner. Any more posts that cross the line will be met with an infraction. No discussion.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Me neither. They look like they might be one bad month away from needing to rebuild in general given the age of their core and they go and rent Evander Kane?

This is because they're not as poorly situated as those not following them would like to believe. This team no longer runs solely on the back of Joe Thornton anymore. Martin Jones is a starter quality goalie in his prime. Their blue line with Burns, Vlasic, and Braun are all at points in their careers where they still have many years left. Joakim Ryan, Dylan DeMelo, Brenden Dillon, and Tim Heed are 24 and 27. They're fine in that regard. Their forwards need more depth but Couture has plenty of years left in him if he wants to stay after next season. They have a lot of good young talent in guys like Meier, Labanc, Donskoi, and Tierney. Hertl is probably their best player at driving play. All those guys are top six or potential top six quality players under 25. People look at the Sharks and look at Joe Thornton being as old as he is and don't bother to look beyond that. Even if they decided to go into a rebuild, they'd need one elite talent and they'd be right back where they are because they have enough talent at all ages to put around that guy. That's precisely why they can't because they have too many good young players that are just good enough to keep the team playoff competitive.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad