Confirmed with Link: [SJ/DET] Red Wings trade 3rd round pick for Dylan Sadowy (Signed to ELC)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This trade in itself may not be exciting but I see it as a good sign. For one, it could mean Holland & Co. plan on drafting D-heavy in the upcoming draft and saw this as a way to still pick up another forward prospect. Two, it could mean some players/prospects are on their way out and they're looking to make some moves to keep depth in the organization.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This trade in itself may not be exciting but I see it as a good sign. For one, it could mean Holland & Co. plan on drafting D-heavy in the upcoming draft and saw this as a way to still pick up another forward prospect. Two, it could mean some players/prospects are on their way out and they're looking to make some moves to keep depth in the organization.

i tend to agree

i mean even if we didnt make this trade our draft should have been 95% dmen and 1 goalie and even further, we should have(and still should) trade as many players and prospects we dont intend to sign and keep for more picks and use those picks on even more dmen

as for increased chance of trades, i do believe KH will be more assertive this summer, whether that translates into being aggressive i ma not sure

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
i think this is a first time kenny has traded for a prospect from another organization, no?

at least it has been quite a while.

It's the first time according to trade tracker.

Very interesting. Obviously this is kind of a unique situation since the Wings already had a lot of scouting time in on this kid AND his org didn't or couldn't re-sign him, but still. At least it's some minor ingenuity from a guy who has been doing the same minimal-risk/moderate reward stuff forever.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
i tend to agree

i mean even if we didnt make this trade our draft should have been 95% dmen and 1 goalie and even further, we should have(and still should) trade as many players and prospects we dont intend to sign and keep for more picks and use those picks on even more dmen

as for increased chance of trades, i do believe KH will be more assertive this summer, whether that translates into being aggressive i ma not sure

I don't think we're taking a goalie. I think they're on an every-other year rotation. Edit: never mind. Thought van pottelberghe was drafted last year.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
I don't think we're taking a goalie. I think they're on an every-other year rotation. Edit: never mind. Thought van pottelberghe was drafted last year.

They actually drafted a goalie in each of the last 2 years. Joren Van Pottelberghe last year and Chase Perry the year before that. I think they just take BPA regardless of position. If there is a goalie they think is worth taking and is a good value with their pick, they could draft another goalie, but it isn't really an organizational need at this moment.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I don't think this has anything to do with draft strategy and won't impact drafting decisions this year or next. This was just good old fashion value investing on the part of the front office. They thought that they could get an asset that was worth more than what was being asked for and would be no less valuable than what they were likely to get had they used that 3rd round pick.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's weird, because we're all excited about the prospect, but we're not very excited about his nearest NHL comparison.

I mean, think about it. Scouting reports say this stuff: good two-way winger with medium size, scores most of his goals within 5 feet of the net, physical and feisty but not a tough guy, a former bad skater who is improving over time, an okay but unspectacular passer and puckhandler, and good on the PK.

Sadowy looks like an interesting prospect, but that's definitely a description of Abdelkader. You might say "yeah, but Sadowy has scored a billion goals in the OHL!" but it's easy to forget that Abby was a very productive guy in college.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Honestly though the ceiling of third liners is nothing to go crazy about anyways. Sure there might be a 5'7 really skilled player there that turns into the next Gadreau but chances are at best its a Mattias Ritola. Sure you may give up some ceiling but this guy looks like a legit pro player 2 years after his draft so its irrelevant to me

There you go, when you post the link, dont copy the whole website. Take only the stuff after the = sign and press the youtube button up top. Then paste the stuff after the equal sign into the youtube quotes that appear where youre typing.

This isnt the Maple Leafs Connor Brown either, this is another legit OHL tough guy. In todays NHL this Sadowy will be able to handle himself since theres less real enforcers and more guys his weight class

Thanks

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It's weird, because we're all excited about the prospect, but we're not very excited about his nearest NHL comparison.

I mean, think about it. Scouting reports say this stuff: good two-way winger with medium size, scores most of his goals within 5 feet of the net, physical and feisty but not a tough guy, a former bad skater who is improving over time, an okay but unspectacular passer and puckhandler, and good on the PK.

Sadowy looks like an interesting prospect, but that's definitely a description of Abdelkader. You might say "yeah, but Sadowy has scored a billion goals in the OHL!" but it's easy to forget that Abby was a very productive guy in college.

i'd take another abdelkader on this team in a second.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

People hate Abdlekader's contract.

Virtually everyone agrees he was one of our best players last year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

If this was our first round pick... ya I could see why you might be upset with this move. But its a 3rd round pick. So if we got a player thats 50%-70% of Abdelkader, I'd call that a huge win.

Edit: It's actually a win if he ever makes the NHL to be honest.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If this was our first round pick... ya I could see why you might be upset with this move. But its a 3rd round pick. So if we got a player thats 50%-70% of Abdelkader, I'd call that a huge win.

If he plays a regular shift in the NHL it is a huge win for the team. People around here forget just how rare it is for a third-round pick to play even 82 career NHL games.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
An Abby player with a 3rd rounder is a great pickup, and an Abby as a 3rd liner is a really good player. I just don't love Abbys contract or him being consistently on the top 2 lines.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Should draft two dmen in the first two rounds cause of this

Exactly this, two 5'10" European wingers in the first two rounds then oh no Kenny you don't have a third rounder, but you have a grinder, wooohuuuu! :yo:

i'd take another abdelkader on this team in a second.

Only if they are both played in the bottom 6

There is no guarantee that we would have spent our 2017 3rd rounder on a defensemen nor is there any guarantee we could have moved the pick for a defensemen comparable to Sadowy. He is far from a redundant prospect in this organization.

Hopefully this turns out to be a sound strategic move. I applaud the front office for taking a different approach for once. My fingers are crossed that his skating continues to improve.

As long as a prospect has other tools in the tool box I usually worry about skating the least. Its one of the areas people can make great improvements on and the extend of their skating can also become overblown. I remember people saying John Tavares couldn't translate to the NHL because of his skating. Then again they said that about Brett Connolly too. All I mean is a few rumors about skating are nothing to panic about.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
People hate Abdlekader's contract.

Virtually everyone agrees he was one of our best players last year.
I suppose, but in GDTs and stuff there seems to still be a lot of residual Abby dislike. It's really only been in the last year that that's quieted down even a little bit. For a while, he was in the Cleary/Ericsson group.

Edit: and you see it just above ^ in the comments about how it's fine if he's in the bottom six.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I suppose, but in GDTs and stuff there seems to still be a lot of residual Abby dislike. It's really only been in the last year that that's quieted down even a little bit. For a while, he was in the Cleary/Ericsson group.

Edit: and you see it just above ^ in the comments about how it's fine if he's in the bottom six.

I think there always will be, because Abdelkader has spent the majority of his career either being horrifically inefficient with his ice time and linemates or being, presumably, horrifically inefficient with his salary.

People would've loved Abby had he not spent 3 seasons or whatever playing on a top line with the team's most skilled players and struggling to hit 25 points.

And people would've loved Abby had he produced more than 1 season before being rewarded with a fat, long-term deal.

Basically, we've had 1 season of Abby where he did what he should've done with 17 minutes a night alongside Datsyuk or Zetterberg before the shadow (and soon-to-be reality) of him costing $4.25M for the next 7 years was hanging around.

TLDR - We've always paid a huge, disproportionate price for the physicality Abdelkader brings, either in money or in seeing him struggle offensively on the ice.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't get why people get mad that Abby plays in the top 6. Can't have all soft, perimeter players in the top 6. I mean, I guess you could, but there's nothing wrong with spreading out the scoring talent to multiple lines.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't get why people get mad that Abby plays in the top 6. Can't have all soft, perimeter players in the top 6. I mean, I guess you could, but there's nothing wrong with spreading out the scoring talent to multiple lines.

It stems from having a super simplistic outlook on hockey. Many have come to interpret top six to mean the six most skilled forwards. Furthermore, they think that the collective offensive output of playing the six most skilled forwards together will be greater than the output of any other combination of players.

I don't buy it for a second, at least not in today's NHL game.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem with Abdelkader is that he's a pretty limited player and the fact he's become one of our better players seems to be more related to everyone else getting worse rather than him developing as a player. It's part of the Wings' descent into utter mediocrity.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Plenty of teams have Abby type players in their top 6. And by "Abby type player" I mean someone who is out there to do the dirty work and provide something the typical "scorers" don't. Abby in the top 6 is not a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->