Confirmed with Link: [SJ/BUF] G Devin Cooley to SJ for 2025 7th

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Cooley seems like a pretty smart addition, I have to say. He's perfectly competent in goal, and while he'll likely be ticketed for the Barracuda to start next season--useful to have someone like him playing behind some of the kids--you have to think he'll get his share of time in the NHL with the injury histories of Blackwood and Vanacek. And he'll continue to be a positive presence, you'd think, whichever group he's with.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Cooley seems like a pretty smart addition, I have to say. He's perfectly competent in goal, and while he'll likely be ticketed for the Barracuda to start next season--useful to have someone like him playing behind some of the kids--you have to think he'll get his share of time in the NHL with the injury histories of Blackwood and Vanacek. And he'll continue to be a positive presence, you'd think, whichever group he's with.
Most important, he wants to be here. Being close to home is a big plus.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
First road win, 49 saves! He was really good tonight. Really good. 👍
I mean, goalies seemingly crawl out of the woodwork to suddenly become good NHL players in their mid- to late-20s all the time, so why couldn't Cooley be one of these unicorns for us? This might be a flash in the pan moment for him, but he's got the size, seems pretty agile...and with his background [insert jokes about the Jr. Sharks], him being a late bloomer wouldn't actually be all that surprising.

Whatever the case, he was a brilliant acquisition because of the good vibes he's brought and his ability to be a positive influence for either the Barracuda or the Sharks next year.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I mean, goalies seemingly crawl out of the woodwork to suddenly become good NHL players in their mid- to late-20s all the time, so why couldn't Cooley be one of these unicorns for us? This might be a flash in the pan moment for him, but he's got the size, seems pretty agile...and with his background [insert jokes about the Jr. Sharks], him being a late bloomer wouldn't actually be all that surprising.

Whatever the case, he was a brilliant acquisition because of the good vibes he's brought and his ability to be a positive influence for either the Barracuda or the Sharks next year.
I like the story and think it’s great but he’s not ahead of Chrona on the depth chart or Romanov, so either he’s in the ECHL or on loan to another AHL team. I don’t think his ceiling is any higher than Nolan Schaffers was. He’s fun and exiting to watch I’ll give him that but that’s because he can’t hold onto the puck to save his life

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I’d like to think that he’s our Tim Thomas or Craig Binnington. Just one of those goalies that are better in the NHL.
I don't think Binnington is "better in the NHL," he just happened to have a hot streak at the right time. He's a pretty mediocre NHL goalie, which is just fine. If Cooley turns into Binnington, we should be ecstatic.

Goalies are weird, so who knows. I'm fine with keeping Cooley in the system, but as long as Blackwood and Vanecek are healthy next year, and don't get traded, Cooley is going to the AHL, which is fine - it's good to have an older pro veteran in the system.

We can run with three AHL goalies - between injures and ineffectiveness, I think there's plenty of room, and we always have Wichita if someone just needs playing time. The odds are against any of them turning into a legit long-term NHL goaltender anyway.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I don't think Binnington is "better in the NHL," he just happened to have a hot streak at the right time. He's a pretty mediocre NHL goalie, which is just fine. If Cooley turns into Binnington, we should be ecstatic.

Goalies are weird, so who knows. I'm fine with keeping Cooley in the system, but as long as Blackwood and Vanecek are healthy next year, and don't get traded, Cooley is going to the AHL, which is fine - it's good to have an older pro veteran in the system.

We can run with three AHL goalies - between injures and ineffectiveness, I think there's plenty of room, and we always have Wichita if someone just needs playing time. The odds are against any of them turning into a legit long-term NHL goaltender anyway.
He might be the next Aaron Dell at his peak, I haven’t seen Romanov so I can’t speak to him but Chrona will eventually be a NHL regular if he can learn when to hold on to the puck or play it, definitely could be a 1A/1B kind of guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad