Confirmed with Link: [SJ/Buf] Evander Kane to Sharks for Dan O'Regan, Cndt'l 2019 1st, Cndt'l 2020 4th

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just to be clear for your three scenarios... The first one implies the Sharks make the playoffs, otherwise it goes to #3, correct?

yes, sorry. for it to be a 2019 first the Sharks need to win the cup or Kane needs to re-sign and the team has a non-lottery pick (thus made the playoffs)

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I have a feeling Kane's hunger for playoff hockey will reignite the fire in the sharks. 11 seasons without any playoffs and a player with his talent theres no way sharks are going to go down without a fight. Its the perfect storm if Thornton can come back healthy. EEEEE! But lets not get ahead of ourselves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BCShark

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I have a feeling Kane's hunger for playoff hockey will reignite the fire in the sharks. 11 seasons without any playoffs and a player with his talent theres no way sharks are going to go down without a fight. Its the perfect storm if Thornton can come back healthy. EEEEE! But lets not get ahead of ourselves!

He's 26. This isn't euro soccer where 15 year olds are pros lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Counted wrong, that's 9 seasons. Man I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Some thoughts on Kane coming from a buffalo fan.

His fore checking is elite. He'll chase down a dump-in in the ozone and create absolute panic in defenders. He wins so many battles; 1-1, 2-1 - not only along the boards, but in front of the net. He runs guys over in pursuit of the puck and creates tons of turn-overs in the ozone. He's a low percentage shooter, but he takes TONS of shots, some from bad angles, sometimes to the detriment of his line mates when he had a better passing play. He is an under-rated passer, especially from behind the net, and would say he'd be better if he used this more. His creativity and vision are on the low-end, but I think this is sometimes confused with hockey IQ. I don't believe he under-thinks the game, but his success has been physicality and shooting - why change that?

His production this year slumped after a hot start, but so did the sabres as a team. Housley took him off of the #1 PP and he lost his place next to Eichel - and there really isn't another suitable center on the team for him. There was a stat out the other day before he was traded that Austin Matthews is the only other player with more even-strength goals than Kane the last two years. That's elite company.

The character issues that dogged him are for a few reasons. The big one in my mind is the way he approaches preparation and practice. He's not one of these guys that spends a lot of time around the locker room, or first on/last off the ice. He claims this is what works for him, and it's hard to argue with his success. But it's not a good example for a young team, but could play better in a veteran locker room. I do wonder how much better he could be if he focused more on his craft. It's been rumored he likes the night life - he's 24 and a millionaire, so this doesn't surprise me. Pat Kane liked the night life at that age as well, that didn't stop CHI from winning several cups.

He's been called selfish, but the narrative of him being a pariah and locker-room cancer is not fair. He seemed to be liked in the buffalo locker room, and tried very hard after a rough start to keep on the straight and narrow. Personally, I think some of the criticism levied at him by fans and media has racist undertones. Kane is confident and unapologetic, and I think that doesn't play in the prairies. The fact that he only fetched what he did this trade deadline in my opinion has more to do with hockey being a old boys club than anything else.

I'm going to miss him in a sabres uniform, but the term and cost of what it would have taken to retain him just wouldn't fit into the Sabres plans.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Say what you will about DW, the guy consistently does well in trades for star players. Now depth players on the other hand...
Yup, it's the one gripe (in parallel with asset management) that I have about DW, but it's not a huge one. He has killed it time and again on getting star players, and has been able to get amazing value for players before they heavily decline (Cheechoo, Heatley, Clowe, Murray). A few questionable signings whether it being term or money, but I don't think there has been anything that's crippled us.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The black mark against DW is his drafting. After that there's something to be said about his asset management. Like a 3rd for Tye McGinn is a bad trade but then again, a 3rd usually doesn't turn into much of anything, especially for the Sharks.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The black mark against DW is his drafting. After that there's something to be said about his asset management. Like a 3rd for Tye McGinn is a bad trade but then again, a 3rd usually doesn't turn into much of anything, especially for the Sharks.
Doug Wilson and Tim Burke have never drafted a skater in the 3rd round that has played a game in the NHL. They've drafted 2 goalies who have played a combined 206 NHL games, 205 of those by Thomas Greiss and 1 by Timo Pielmeier. They've made 9 selections with 3rd round picks, 4 of those picks were goalies, Greiss, Pielmeier, Tyson Sexsmith and Mike Robinson, 4 forwards, Alex Schoenborn, Dylan Sadowy, Max Gaede and Justin Daniels, and 1 dman Justin Sefton.

In the 4th round, it's not much better. 12 selections, 1 of which is Torrey Mitchell who accounts for all the games played by a skater at 654 and counting. 2 goalies, Alex Stalock and Harri Sateri have combined to play 97 games, 88 by Stalock. Goalies Jason Churchill and Frederik Bergvik, forwards Christophe Lalancette, Adam Helewka, Noah Gregor and Scott Reedy, and dmen Alexis Vanier, Samuel Groulx and James DeLory, either have yet to make it, or never made it.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
How is EK9 playing for you so far? I don't get much chance to watch your games being on the east coast. I never really got all the hate pointed his way. Would have been nice to have re signed him but Tim Murray decided Okposo would be our high cost winger over Kane so there was no fit. Either way I wish him the best and hope you all get the amost out of him. Both for selfish and selfless reasons :D

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How is EK9 playing for you so far? I don't get much chance to watch your games being on the east coast. I never really got all the hate pointed his way. Would have been nice to have re signed him but Tim Murray decided Okposo would be our high cost winger over Kane so there was no fit. Either way I wish him the best and hope you all get the most out of him. Both for selfish and selfless reason :D

We really like him, but it's obviously still pretty early.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Kane had 2 great opportunities to score against Chicago, but even without scoring on them, it's awesome how dangerous that line has been. Opens up having three legit scoring lines. We have 10 top 9 players (once Thornton returns) and none of them are question marks about playing those minutes. We then have some pretty sweet 4th liners in Ward, Karlsson, Hansen, Fehr, Goodrow, Sorensen.

Kane is basically what we think that Meier will turn into over the next few seasons. Would be sweet to have two in the future.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Kane had 2 great opportunities to score against Chicago, but even without scoring on them, it's awesome how dangerous that line has been. Opens up having three legit scoring lines. We have 10 top 9 players (once Thornton returns) and none of them are question marks about playing those minutes. We then have some pretty sweet 4th liners in Ward, Karlsson, Hansen, Fehr, Goodrow, Sorensen.

Kane is basically what we think that Meier will turn into over the next few seasons. Would be sweet to have two in the future.

I was with you until the 4th liner list. Ward is done, Karlsson has been awful this year but looks a bit better on the 4th line now, Hansen was terrible until a few decent games recently, Goodrow is good, Sorensen is okay, and Fehr has not been great to say the least.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Besides Karlsson all those players are fine 4th liners. Bummer that Ward got hurt when he was playing fairly well and weird that Hansen was trending up then just got benched haha. Goodrow has been consistent but also gets benched haha so I have no idea.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Kane's dangerousness led directly to a goal in the last game by Pavelski I believe.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Besides Karlsson all those players are fine 4th liners. Bummer that Ward got hurt when he was playing fairly well and weird that Hansen was trending up then just got benched haha. Goodrow has been consistent but also gets benched haha so I have no idea.

Karlsson is a fine 4th liner.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Somehow he's getting 13/15 mins a game, I don't even know if thats 4th line mins haha more like 3rd line mins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->