Size

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Jordan Schroeder and Zack Kassian represent two different aspects of size in an NHL player. I maintain that, in the Hodgson trade, Kassian may have been over valued due to his size and strength. I am optimistic that he will develop into a productive top 6 winger, but we gave up a sure top 6 centre to acquire him. Jordan Schroeder is undersized so there will always be questions about him. To rise above (so to speak) these questions, Schroeder has play much better than a guy 2" taller than him would.

When looking at prospects, size is a wildcard. It can either be a huge advantage or a liability.

In my thinking, the prototypical size for an NHL forward is between 5'11" and about 6'3". For a defenseman it's a litte bigger, 6'0" to 6'4". Goalies these days are typically over 6', up to about 6'5". When looking at junior aged prospects, anything above or below those ranges is a cause concern. Clearly when a prospect grades high in most other areas: speed, puck skills, shot, vision, hockey IQ, points production, agressiveness, work ethic, character, leadership, etc. and ALSO has really good size, it's a bonus. But I think too many people get excited about a player's size and overlook or rationalize the more important factors.

Also, clearly when a player is undersized, he has to excell in virtually all of the other areas to be considered. When you look at the undersized players who have played, and excelled in the NHL, their skill level and drive are off the charts (Theo Fleury, Cliff Ronning, Marty St. Louis, Brian Rafalski) and most have had to prove themselves in the AHL/IHL/Europe before being given a real shot at the NHL . Jordan Schroeder is listed at 5'9", but in looking at him, I think that is a bit generous. However it's a cause for concern if he is auditioning for our open 2C position, that he has not exactly dominated in college or the AHL. Unlike Fleury, St. Louis, Ronning or Rafalski, he hasn't torn up the AHL/IHL or European leagues.

However I think it there should also be cause for, if not concern, a close second look when a player is "oversized" for his position. Why? Because when you are looking at junior aged players, the tangibles are sometimes deceptive. You can readily see or measure height, weight, strength, goals/assist and speed. When a big, strong 18 year old is having success as a junior, it is very easy to get too excited about his potential and see a future Ryan Getzlaff or Shea Weber, when in many cases, at best they are a future Taylor Pyatt/Steve Bernier or Marek Malik. At worst you could be looking at a future Libor Polasek or Shaone Morrisonn.

Kassian is not "oversized"; he is listed at 6'3" and 214lb, but he carries the label of "power forward", so the trade bears scrutiny from that perspective.

Is the player having success at the junior level or USHL/high school simply because he is bigger than most other players his age? In the CHL an 6'5", 230lb 18 year old is going to be playing against players who are as young as 16 years old, many of whom have not finished growing and tip the scales at under 160lb. If you have a 70lb weight advantage on your opponent, you are probably going to win most battles for the puck, and it's going to be very hard for a much smaller player to drive to the net or prevent you from driving the net.

There are all sorts of euphemisms used to describe these player's skills. When a scout says a player has "good speed for a big man" it raises flags for me. I don't care if he has good speed for a big man. I care if he has NHL speed. Dylan McIlrath is (IMO) the poster child for a player who was overrated due to his size and toughness. He was drafted ahead of Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, Jared Tinordi and Alex Petrovic - all of whom (IMO) will be much, much better NHL defensemen than McIlrath. Also - if you are 6'5" or better, you SHOULD have a very good shot - you have far more leverage than a smaller player. But how accurate is the shot and can he get it on net through traffic?

I'm also of the mind that a defenseman - even one who projects to be a defensive defenseman, should put up points as a junior. The things you look for in hockey players - even defensive defensemen, are skating ability, puck skills, vision/anticipation, etc. generally, should translate into reasonable point production as an amateur. It's probably a different story when a junior aged player is playing in the SEL, SM-Liga or KHL as they are playing against adults and probably getting fairly protected minutes. But in the CHL, USHL or Tier II Junior, they should be producing points.

Wizeman*

Schroeder is 5'8 and Hodgson was supposedly 6ft with his skates on, but I would take Schroeders strength and speed any day.

The league is getting faster and faster and faster. Thats how a guy like Mason Raymond has a job. He would never be in the league pre lockout with all the hooking and holding.

So unless you have speed and strength, you had better hope your team gets a lot of powerplays to show off your skill.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Schroeder speed will overcome his size.........give him some good skill lineup with size and he should be fine but no plugs please

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I think both players would benefit from a line mate who could more or less carry a line as I haven't seen real dominance from either at the AHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad