SITE MIGRATION NOTICE (please read) & other related talk about format

Has the new layout of HFBoards resulted in you visiting less?

• Yes

Votes: 153 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 127 45.4%

• Total voters

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
OK, just found out something that I really really don't like. Something that I've seen on another forum that and it was and absolutely horrible feature.

When you ignore someone and they post a thread, you can't see it. This isn't the worst thing in the world for stupid threads these people start that I don't care to read anyway, but there are legit threads one may want to read that you'll just completely miss. If someone I have on ignore starts a GDT I'm not going to see it at all. If someone I have on ignore starts a player thread it'll be completely missed. This is ridiculous. The stupidest forum feature in the history of forums. Basically forces you to not put anyone on ignore or risk missing completely legitimate topics of discussion because they happen to have been posted by someone who posts a lot of ridiculous garbage.

This is indeed a huge annoyance... anyone?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
HF has been so awful since the switch in terms of how slow it is. Anytime I type a semi-long post(more than 4 or 5 lines) it barely functions at all. I'm here typing, make a typo and have to wait 4 or 5 seconds for the word to show up to undo it. I then have to close the browser and reopen it. Anytime I'm on here for more than 10 minutes just browsing it gets that bad and have to do the same too. It's awful, never had an issue before, don't have any issue with any other websites. Part of me thinks it's the new ads, downloaded a new blocker and it's up over 400 ads blocked on this site right now and counting as I type. But use the same thing on other sites and its fine.

Brb, closing out the page again because it got brutally slow just typing this post.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@Canada4Gold There's a bunch of bloated scripts, redirects, and requests. Try disabling JavaScript for this domain and see how responsive it is that way without it. It should run smoothly. For example, in Chrome: Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > JavaScript > Block > Add: hfboards.mandatory.com

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm constantly logged out and have to login every time I visit this site. Not sure if it's a Google Chrome issue because my phone stays logged in for days at a time.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I'm constantly logged out and have to login every time I visit this site. Not sure if it's a Google Chrome issue because my phone stays logged in for days at a time.

I noticed I was periodically signed out every few days when I was with Chrome. For what it's worth it hasn't happened in about three days with firefox.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
@Woodhouse

Thanks. Site working much better, but I do think we lose some functionality? Like, I cannot quote anyone's post... maybe other stuff. But honestly, the site was mostly unusable before I blocked the javascript for this domain.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@wingman75 Yes, disabling JavaScript will break embeds, rich text editor, among other things. It's an imperfect solution if you don't use a browser extension like NoScript or Scriptsafe to allow the right ones, but certainly, increases page responsiveness.

As previously mentioned, some may also have to combat Instart Logic's Ad Integrity junk. That's those ad redirects like http://hxyzhas.g00.mandatory.com/g00/* . You can read on that here, which includes a common solution. Regardless, if you run Crave's network through any number of website speed tests, you'll see that they all generally suck in Chrome. Users need to send in complaints via "Contact Us" in the site footer or else I wouldn't expect any change. Mods can't do anything more with posts here other than forwarding common complaints along. Increasing the sheer volume of complaints in their inbox should prioritize a fix, in theory, if they intend to address it.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
@Canada4Gold There's a bunch of bloated scripts, redirects, and requests. Try disabling JavaScript for this domain and see how responsive it is that way without it. It should run smoothly. For example, in Chrome: Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > JavaScript > Block > Add: hfboards.mandatory.com

Just for this nice fix I wont force you to make me breakfast.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Thanks, after a quick switch and doing some browsing it seems to have worked. Some things are a touch different, but nothing too annoying that I can't deal with it to get rid of the slowness.

As for the logging out issues other have mentioned I've noticed it a handful of times, tends to happen on average once per day at random times but it's not really a hassle logging back in.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
@wingman75Users need to send in complaints via "Contact Us" in the site footer or else I wouldn't expect any change. Mods can't do anything more with posts here other than forwarding common complaints along. Increasing the sheer volume of complaints in their inbox should prioritize a fix, in theory, if they intend to address it.

I did just that and I will read the info at the links provided. If someone finds a new forum for us to use, let me know I am ready to jump ship!!
Thanks again Woody

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I turned off Javascript for HF Boards and it's running way smother now. However, i don't seem to see any tweets that posters are embedding. They just stall on "Loading Tweet."

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I'm inspired. To celebrate this laggy new board I'm giving away free Likes to every poster on this page!
Good evening, HFBoards. Tarheelhockey here.

Please take a moment of your time to honor the fans of HFCanes on becoming, objectively speaking, the most-Liked fans in the hockey world.

Yes, THE most-Liked. Statistically.

Source: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/members/?type=likes

Feel free to drop a note of congratulations here.

Best regards,
Tarheelhockey

ZxVLX_s-200x150.gif

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
Instead of blocking javascript to hfboards, try blocking it for the following domains and see if it helps

bootstrapcdn.com
chartbeat.com
craveonline.com
evolvemediallc.com
scorecardresearch.com
d2na2p72vtqyok.cloudfront.net

These are some of the third party scripts that are loaded here.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
@wingman75 Yes, disabling JavaScript will break embeds, rich text editor, among other things. It's an imperfect solution if you don't use a browser extension like NoScript or Scriptsafe to allow the right ones, but certainly, increases page responsiveness.

As previously mentioned, some may also have to combat Instart Logic's Ad Integrity junk. That's those ad redirects like http://hxyzhas.g00.mandatory.com/g00/* . You can read on that here, which includes a common solution. Regardless, if you run Crave's network through any number of website speed tests, you'll see that they all generally suck in Chrome. Users need to send in complaints via "Contact Us" in the site footer or else I wouldn't expect any change. Mods can't do anything more with posts here other than forwarding common complaints along. Increasing the sheer volume of complaints in their inbox should prioritize a fix, in theory, if they intend to address it.

Ah. I've already been using uBo-Extra. Maybe that's why I haven't been experiencing any of the speed issues.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Amazing how they turned a once decent site into such a piece of crap. Hopefully someone got paid.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

worked like a charm thanks, but lost the multi-quote, which is no big whoop, losing the smilies on quotes kinda sucks though

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Okay, this is pretty awesome:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/members/?type=likes

Major props to the Canes board.

why for a group like of everything?. The jets board have a fan that literally likes every single post no matter what it is. Seems like some posters/ group of posters trying too hard. Im not sure I oculd care less about "likes", but I guess if you are into it having posters in the 1000's is cool in such a small amount of time

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Instead of blocking javascript to hfboards, try blocking it for the following domains and see if it helps

bootstrapcdn.com
chartbeat.com
craveonline.com
evolvemediallc.com
scorecardresearch.com
d2na2p72vtqyok.cloudfront.net

These are some of the third party scripts that are loaded here.

this has worked although still a little laggy, but liveable, if anybody lived through dial-up this is lightning fast:thumbu: and got multiquote and smilies back

worked like a charm thanks, but lost the multi-quote, which is no big whoop, losing the smilies on quotes kinda sucks though

just a test

still am unable to embed links to post articles

www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-now-betting-favourites-win-stanley-cup/

if I knock off the http it seems to work...weird?

ok back to knocking off the http:(

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
why for a group like of everything?. The jets board have a fan that literally likes every single post no matter what it is. Seems like some posters/ group of posters trying too hard. Im not sure I oculd care less about "likes", but I guess if you are into it having posters in the 1000's is cool in such a small amount of time
I think they're just having some fun. I also took it as them challenging if they can beat the board's new 'Like' feature statistically. and looks looks like they succeeded as a group of Canes fans -- props to them.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think they're just having some fun. I also took it as them challenging if they can beat the board's new 'Like' feature statistically. and looks looks like they succeeded as a group of Canes fans -- props to them.

I didn't realize all the posters avatars spell buffalo sabres suck, that is good. Why do Carolina fans not like buffalo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad