Speculation: Sirius radio talk - Jets/Habs trade outlook

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Montreal needs to retool slightly - it appears that they just want to trade the Jets forwards and high end young D for their expiring UFAs and older crap. I don't think it works that way.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting listen today on the NHL network listening to them talk about the Canadiens situation and they went in depth how a trade involving Price could look and they see only 1 team the Winnipeg Jets having what it takes to get it done.

The former analyst on HNIC was on and said he has heard sources a trade like this is no doubt in play and they spent time puting the pieces together.

Who wins this trade which they decided was the best offer on the table

MONTREAL trades

Carey Price
Shea Weber
Nathan Beaulieu
Brendan Gallagher
-17 1st round pick

WINNIPEG trades

Eric Comrie
Jacob Trouba
prospect Tucker Poolman
Nikolaj Ehlers
Andrew Copp
prospect Jack Roslovic
-17 1st round pick

Price the UFA? Hell no freakng way. That's just pure delusional.

Weber, is aging and massive contract.

Nathan flake mentally, about to be exposed in the ED.

Brendan - Very bad season.

For all that we're giving up Comrie, Trouba (#1D), Ehlers (#1 winger) and Jack (plus Copp/Poolman)?

Only in the Habs wet dreams that get from us. Horrible for us.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Montreal needs to retool slightly - it appears that they just want to trade the Jets forwards and high end young D for their expiring UFAs and older crap. I don't think it works that way.

Massive under statement

Brutal trade idea is more like it

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler, 2nd round pick in 2018 and Helle for Sergachev, 2017 1st round pick, Price and McCarron.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This gives us nothing long term and actually shortens our window of competing substantially.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Montreal and Winnipeg do not make good trading partners for the simple fact that what they would want from us we should not be parting with. They traded for Weber deal with it, they need to pay Price and pay big not to mention what to do with Markov and Galchenyuk is a RFA and so is Nesterov and a Beauleau and with haven't even gotten to Radulov. Bonne Chance hab fans.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think there was too much excitement over the fact the Price only has one year left on his contract. Obviously, this deal doesn't go down unless Price and Winnipeg agree to a long-term contract. I also think Montreal would have to eat a bit of Weber's contract to make this an interesting proposal.

Thing is, there are good goalies available on July 1, which ultimately kills this proposal. If there was a scarcity of goalies, then a proposal like this would be very interesting to ponder.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Little, Armia, Comrie, 1st(2017), 1st(2018) for Price
Large amount of Quantity for High Quality
But for this to work Winnipeg clearly needs a new Goalie coach

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

We better have a guarantee that he'll resign with us afterwards, otherwise that's tossing away a nice chunk of futures for one year of an elite goalie.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
We better have a guarantee that he'll resign with us afterwards, otherwise that's tossing away a nice chunk of futures for one year of an elite goalie.

You give the Jets decent goaltending, they do good(Wildcard),
You give the Jets a good Goalie, they'll do great(Top 3 Division),
You give them an Elite Goalie, they'll do amazing(1st or 2nd in Conference),
But if you give them Price, the best goaltender in the League... they will work farther than our imagination(Cup Contenders or better).

It all depend on what we have to give up, If Scheifele, Ehlers, Trouba(unless he doesn't want to be here), Laine, Morrisey and Wheeler are in the conversation then no, but if we can go from 0 to 100(as goaltending has always been horribe in Winnipeg) for a reasonable expensive price, than I don't see why this is questionable.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
Weber is aging? lol first off that would be good for us cause we need older players.

And if that is too old for you then we are in trouble with Little, Wheeler, Buff, Enstrom, Scheifele in few years, Perreault.

Weber has 8-10 yrs left in him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Weber is aging? lol first off that would be good for us cause we need older players.

And if that is too old for you then we are in trouble with Little, Wheeler, Buff, Enstrom, Scheifele in few years, Perreault.

Well technically yea everyone is aging.

But we essentially trade a 23 year old #1RD for a 31 year old #2 RD. That is getting 8 years older and declining in ability while Trouba is getting better. That alone is the dumbest part of the deal. Also I doubt Weber has 10 years left in him. I'll eat my hat if Weber plays to 41.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

What the **** is this?

As another poster said, technically all players are aging. We already have Buff and Enstrom on the wrong side of 30, and Weber is already showing sign of diminishing returns on his game. The true problem with Weber comes in the form of his contract. Holmgren signed a poison pill offer sheet, and I'll be damned if we're going to be stuck with it. I would rather use that money to overpay for Trouba sticking around.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
... if we can go from 0 to 100(as goaltending has always been horribe in Winnipeg) for a reasonable expensive price, than I don't see why this is questionable.

It's not a reasonably expensive price: it's an incredible overpayment for one year of an elite goaltender. I love Price - I would love to see him here. I would NOT want him here at that price, without a guarantee (which would be hard to get) that he'll re-sign.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's too much. Weber and Price will take so much cap space, and we would lose too much cheap depth to make up for that. Besides, if Price walks in a year, I'm booking a flight to wherever Chevy's cottage is and burning it to the ground.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Now we are getting a little more reasonable, but future draft picks need to be contingent on Price re-signing with the Jets. Since Little is also a pending UFA there is risk on the Habs side. Though Armia and Comrie aren't enough of a difference to get the Habs interested.

Little, Armia & Comrie for Price

add (1st 2018 and 2019 if Price re-signs with the Jets)

Not that I think the Habs do it but we can't make a big futures play for Price without signing protection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->